Could They Dump The Assemblies?

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

My theory continues to be that the Governing Body will be forced to break down the Organization piece by piece.

So, I wonder: Could they dump the assemblies?

It is clear - that they are having some problems in this area. They are selling off Assembly Halls in some countries, they have moved some District Assemblies to Assembly Halls (to save money on rent) and the pleas for donations from the platform have not let up.

While Zombie Witlesses may drag themselves to meetings and out in service (with whatever literature/magazines the Watchtower manages to afford) indefinitely, I watch this area with interest. At some point, Assemblies may not be paying the bills......

It may be another case of an obsolete business model they are stuck with.

metatron

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I doubt it. Aren't they money-makers? if not profitable I am sure they would. They also build the cult mentality.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The assemblies used to be huge money makers. As IsaacAustin says, if they stop making money they'll stop having them.

More likely, they will keep having them and find a way to MAKE SURE they get their money.

• highdose
    highdose

i'd love to know how much money the average assembly brings in?

• sir82
    sir82

Do you mean strictly assemblies, the 1 or 2 day events?

If so, maybe. At least they might drop the "special assembly day", or maybe reduce circuit assemblies to 1 day.

But I doubt they'd completely eliminate them. They've got hundreds of millions invested in assembly halls all over the world. I'd think they'd have a hard time selling them off for a good price. Typically they are giant boxes out in the middle of the boonies. For what purpose would anyone else want a 1500 seat auditorium surrounded by cow pastures?

But they'll certainly never drop DCs - their biggest "cash cow".

New literature always means huge contributions. I've worked in accounting at a few of them.

I am of the opinion that DCs are the Society's version of "Black Friday" - their financial health for the year is determined by how well they do at the DCs.

It's no coincidence that they save up all the new releases for the summer conventions. People who somehow always "forget" to contribute at the Kingdom Hall practically elbow each other out of the way to drop a handful of 20's into the box to show their gratitude for the "timely spiritual food".

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

My theory is that they would reduce the DC to 2 day events and then make the CA a 1 day event similar to the SAD.

I also think they will continue the trend of moving DCs to assembly halls where it makes sense financially. They get some of these arenas so cheap, especially arenas owned by the city on the theory that bringing 20k JWs over a several week period will more than make up for itself in additional tax revenue from hotels, etc.

Most of the AHs I've seen are fairly new and kept up. The rent charged isn't that cheap and they charge more than enough for the upkeep. While I don't see them building a bunch more new ones, I think the ones they currently have are profitable. One close to me is used most weekends.

• Joliette
    Joliette

So sad but true.

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

In the UK the assembly halls are self funding charities and break even from the donations they receive. Of course the WTS could choose to sell off these properties as they are worth tens of millions. Assembly halls in other countries may need subsidising so would be the first to go.

I think it's unlikely because they serve so many purposes:

1) They are events that the GB can turn up at and feel the power and prestige

2) They make attendees feel like they are part of a large organisation

3) Due to the amount of indoctrination hours this is a valuable tool for mind control

4) Isn't it an important dynamic for the young? They need these opportunities to meet other young JW's so new family units can be built in the cult.

5) They keep all the volunteers busy

MMXIV

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

One way to get their money is "We are running a $3,000 deficit on this Sunday afternoon. Unless we make up the deficit, Jehovah is going to be mad at each and every one of us, and we will find it that much harder to get into the New Order Dark Ages. If someone has money in their bank account and it stays there instead of ending up with us, Jehovah is going to be extremely upset with those of us who are holding back. [Refer to the scripture where the man sells the field and holds back part of the purchase price.] If we have, say, $50 in our checking account [never mind it's to help pay a bill that is past due], and we don't give it to Jehovah, we are effectively robbing Jehovah."

With some line of bullsxxx like that, I am sure they are going to get most of the witlesses to donate themselves into extreme hardship, possibly even extreme debt, for the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund no matter how wretched the economy gets.

• Joliette
    Joliette

When I was a kid, I thought that the FDS had these convention because they really cared about the r&fwitnesses. Maaaan, was I wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit