Email I sent to mom after huge fight today

by meangirl 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Counseling will help. It helped me.

You may learn that many religious people have poor boundary awareness - they honestly believe you saying something bad about their religion is the same as saying something bad about them.

Many of us have been there...and got better...!

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

Well said meangirl! Your letter almost had me in tears. I have a lot of anger too...wasting almost 30 years in this, and will be getting counseling next week.

Wishing you happiness and healing.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Thank you for the paragraphs.

• Essan
    Essan

I have to say I was quite impressed with your mother's response. Her reply could have been an awful lot worse as they often are, in many such cases. Despite her failings and bad choices, both of which have affected you, she seems to love you and be reasonably open to hearing an alternative perspective.

• Ding
    Ding

Your mother must have had doubts for a long time.

Otherwise, why did she keep asking Jehovah to show her if it's not the truth?

You might ask her, "If Jehovah was trying to show you it's not the truth, what sort of evidence would you accept?"

Perhaps she'll see that the only way for her to know whether or not it's the truth is to examine it carefully and be willing to go wherever the evidence leads her.

Would she be open to listening to what Ray Franz had to say in Crisis of Conscience?

He was on the Governing Body, after all.

What better evidence could Jehovah give her?

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

"..counseling to deal with the anger I have for all of the injustices that were done to me. I have a long list and one of those on my list is being forced to be part of a crazy fanatic religious cult that puts rules and regulations over imitating Christ and being a good kind person."

I am proud of you all I can say is Bravo for you, your spouse and your child. Your correct that this religion definately doesn't encourage young people to have babies. I'm 38 years old and right now we are trying to get preggo. Just remember that your mom loves you and she is going to need time to get her mind straight. I went through it myself, I backed off a little (didn't always bring it up) gave her space, but I always made sure she knew I loved her no matter what she thought of me. About 1 year went by and she never called me, then one day she called and we meet every week for coffee and talk about the weather ever sense. I hope this helps and gives you a smile.

• debator
    debator

All parents bring up their children in their beliefs even if they are a lack of belief. That is simply what parents do! It is part of their responsibility as Parents. If you are catholic you christen your kids catholic and bring them up as Catholics. If you are Atheist you bring them up rejecting God and having "the God delusion" on your shelf for them to read.

What all parents accept is that once children are adults they have to make their own choices. That you now reject witnesses as an Adult is your own choice.

I think it is unfair to say "You were a witness so you shouldn't bring me up as a witness!"

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Post 585 of 594
    Since 5/18/2010

All parents bring up their children in their beliefs even if they are a lack of belief. That is simply what parents do!

Debator you are right - that's what parents do.

What they don't do unless they are driven by a cult - is disown their kids if they decided not to follow the religion when they grow up.

• debator
    debator

hi cantleave

Parents of df'd kids still can have family business with there kids which includes looking after them if they are at home. They maybe our "children" but they are not children, they are adults making definite adult choices and living their own lifes.

Lets not minimise that choice (whoever is right) what we believe as to our origin and future is a life and death one.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Lets not minimise that choice (whoever is right) what we believe as to our origin and future is a life and death one.

No, LETS minimize it. It IS NOT important and it IS NOT "a life and death" decision. Disowning one's family members except for "necessary family business" (which means basically arranging funerals and that's about it) is EVIL and UNChristian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit