Baby(ies) Died From Heat At Convention?

by snowbird 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• snowbird
    snowbird

I recall reading from one source how babies were overcome by the heat at a JW convention, with at least one death.

If I'm not mistaken, this was in Houston, Texas, at the Astrodome.

The story goes that doctors at the convention wanted an advisory about the heat read from the platform, but convention officials refused, stating that only WT related material was to be read.

It was stated that the doctors became so upset at this that they quit the WT on the spot!

Has anyone else heard or read that story?

Syl

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey Syl,

even if you can't find it, I don't doubt your word not one bit,

but thanks for going out of your way to look it up. cause I

sure would like to know more about that. I picked my interest

• cantleave
    cantleave

Sounds like an urban myth to me.

• wasblind
    wasblind

It picked my interest, can anyone tell me how to add and delete from my post ?

• sabastious
    sabastious

That really sounds like a myth, otherwise it would be easily found on the interwebz.

-Sab

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm thinking I read it on Freeminds or Paul Blizard's site.

Syl

• cantleave
    cantleave

Wasblind click on the pencil icon top right of dialogue box,

• sir82
    sir82

I seem to recall lots of accounts of old people passing out from the heat in the Pontiac Silverdome (notorious for poorly functioning AC), even into the 80's and 90's, maybe some of them died.

I've never heard of babies being affected.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I'm surprised no one ever fell down the Stairs and broke their neck wearing High heels or dress shoes.

They can get slippery.

The baby thing sounds like a myth......

was it a Baby Smurf that died????

• JWoods
    JWoods

Sylvia - did you read my post that the AstoDome was an enclosed dome, and that it was air-conditioned? I was there for the one in c1972 and do not remember this being an issue (i.e. no babies died that I knew of). The weather was not really that hot in 1972 either - it rained most days of the assembly week.

I do remember people passing out from heat stroke in a large assembly in Kansas City, Mo. back in 1969 - this was the one where NASA walked on the moon the first time during the assembly week. It was very hot, and an outside ball park. I cannot say for sure, but think there may have even been a fatality with an elderly person due to the heat...first aid was busy with heat cases during that one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit