Syl

• snowbird
    snowbird

The search continues ...

Syl

• Bangalore
  • Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

A relative told me about one of the conventions held in Toledo, Ohio, in 2006. On Friday the air conditioning went out in the auditorium, but this didn't stop the convention. The temperature went well into the 90's. One of the brothers my relative knew, who was in his early 50's, had to go to the emergency room. I'm sure there must have been others as well.

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

I wouldn't be surprised if that every happened. It is amazing because this morning I was talking to my husband recalling a convention in Miami about 19 years ago. My daughter was a baby. The temperature was sizzling and I started to get heat exhaustion almost about two hours before the convention was over. I started to feel sick to my stomach and I remember feeding my daughter and she started to throw up. I got so sick, but my "controlled" mind "told" me I should stay until then end, because it wasn't "appropriate" to miss the last talk of the convention. I had to leave anyway half an hour before it was over because I felt so sick. On my way home I started throwing up and everything else that comes with a stomach virus (if you know what I mean).

I felt guilty this morning because of my baby (then) and I could not believe how controlled my mind was, that I wouldn't even leave the &%$@ convention knowing that my daughter was getting sick too.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Rats... That thread that Bangalore posted is EXCELLENT!! But didn't contain a direct, first-person experience of a baby dying due to heat stroke or heat prostration...

I clearly remember someone on board posting their personal experience with that hazard, at a convention - I think a district convention...

Zid

• 1Robinella
    1Robinella

If it's true, I don't understand if it's that hot out why the heck would anyone stay? Although my parents stayed once...ahhh...can you believe it? One time when I was around 8 years old my family was at a outside convention somewhere in the bay area, California. I was sitting in direct sun but was holding umbrella (you could see across the statium all the colored umbrellas - that's all I remembered lol). This umbrella obviously did nothing for me because I told my mom I didn't feel well and I needed to put cold water on my face. We went to the women's restroom and while I was washing my face I fell over almost hitting my head on the bathroom floor. Yuck. I passed out because of the heat. My parents decided to stay at the convention but sit on the cement floor on blankets away from the sun. I remember a lot of people with kids also sitting on the floor with us. I also remember my father carrying me and my long legs were dangling around him. lol. I don't understand why parents would stay! I don't understand why mine stayed. I don't have kids and I would have left if it was that hot. Nothing worse than wearing nylons and a dress on a hot sticky day. It would make me grouchy. I bet all the guys out there that was stuck wearing shirts with ties would agree...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit