Baby(ies) Died From Heat At Convention?

by snowbird 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• journey-on
    journey-on

The Astrodome in Houston has always been air conditioned. But, I do remember as a child, going to conventions held in open stadiums and feeling like I wanted to pass out from the heat.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes, I read it, JWoods.

Did you read mine that, iirc, the advisory would have been a warning to parents that they shouldn't keep their babies outside too long?

I'm still searching ...

Syl

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I grew up in the religion and I remember stories like this way back in the early 70's .

My Mom use to shake her head at how some people did not use common sense when attending conventions (moms w/little babies ,very pregnant women and elderly ) I know she repeated to me about deaths at summer conventions happening ...back then they were outdoor stadiums seven /eight days long ! But to me it seems like an urban legend that has been passed down (maybe started by a factual event but continueing on forever )

My husband served in first aid at assemblies in the 80's-2004. He also stated how so many very ill witnesses would insist on attending when they should have been home on bed rest . Several ended up being sent to the hospital during the convention. No deaths that I recall ....

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thanks cantleave

• JWoods
    JWoods
    I know she repeated to me about deaths at summer conventions happening ...back then they were outdoor stadiums seven /eight days long ! But to me it seems like an urban legend that has been passed down (maybe started by a factual event but continueing on forever )

Well, I haven't actually seen a death with my own eyes, but have seen many elderly carried off on stretchers during those ourdoor ballpark 8 day events. They were never designed to keep people out in the sun all day long for 8 days straight - particularly not babies or the elderly.

I have also heard the elders discussing that someone died at so-and-so assembly...never a baby, as I recall - usually elderly and in ill health anyway. The attitude was "how wonderful that they passed away at Jehovah's assembly", believe it or not.

Sylvia - it has been a long time, but I kind of think I have heard warnings being given from the platform about keeping kids out in the sun. As if thinking people needed to be told that.

• undercover
    undercover

Anyone been to the old Atanta Fulton County Stadium in mid-summer for a convention? And it wasn't just a morning session and afernoon session. They lasted aaaallllll day...till almost dark. I remember getting a bad sunburn because we didn't have an umbrella to shield from the sun.

Of course back in those days, not everyone had A/C so it wasn't the quite the same as today. These days there's no way I'd sit in Turner Field in the sun during summer for more than an hour or so, Jehovah God or Tom Glavin in attendance or not...

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

It used to be the "In Thing" to prove your love for Jehovah by enduring as much pain as you could at the assemblies/meetings. That included 100 degree weather. I remember the old people sat in the sun on purpose just to prove how tough they were. Well us younguns weren't to be outdone..

We never had any air conditioning when I went back in the 50's and 60's. We finally got air conditioning in out new hall in the mid 60's or early 70's.

I hear they even have cushioned seats now...what a bunch of wussies...

Snoozy..

• undercover
    undercover
    I hear they even have cushioned seats now...what a bunch of wussies

You had seats?? We had a plank of wood laid over upside down buckets.

And we had to cross alligator infested rivers to get to the KH. I remember an alligator ate my WT one time as I was fighting him off and when I finally got to the hall I got counseled by an elder for not coming to the meeting properly prepared...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, all.

Still searching ...

Syl

• ziddina
    ziddina

Someone else on this board posted something similar a while back - and that was a first-person account... I'll go see if I can find it...

Unfortunately, it was probably posted on a thread with a slightly different topic...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit