JW Mom refuses Surgery for her BABY over Blood Transfusion

by Rabbit 51 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/johovahs-witness-seeks-bloodless-surgery-11681184

Look at the faux confidence in this JW mom's WT-trained brain.

*Sigh*

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away...I was an uber dub and I was married to one, too. WE...refused blood for our new baby, just as vehemently as this deluded lady. I am so ashamed that I was capable of that, she...she's 'blessed by Jah' and proud.

Later, the blood issue put an end to my JW mom's life. She needed it. She didn't get it. She died.

2 months ago, my sweet never-been-a-dub wife needed blood. She got it. She lived.

Watching her color and life come back into her, instead of draining out...like my mom...? Priceless.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Wow...that really upsets me.

I think it really shows that the WTS and it's policies appeal to the uneducated. She keeps bringing up that she wants "NO RISKS INVOLVED". That makes absolutely no sense. If I go in for a colonoscopy (wont have to do anything like that for MANY years though...) there is still a risk involved. Even minor medical procedures carry some risk. She clearly is uneducated. She's letting the policy dictate this for her. In reality it has NOTHING to do with the risk involved. If the WTS reversed it's blood policy, I GUARANTEE that she would be one of the first in line for her daughters medical procedure.

That being said, I also think that medicaids response is absolutely disgusting too! This poor child! She's not going to get good health care because of her moms ridiculous choice, and she's also not going to get good health care because of the ridiculous choice of the health insurance company. Why is the child stuck in the middle?!?!? It is absolutely sickening.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'm curious, where's the father during all of this? Not that I'm judging her, but are those kids out of wedlock? The only reason I ask that is because I've always found it interesting when your weaker JWs hold to their priciniples on something like a not permitting a blood transfusion. Then several months later they're getting DFd or Reproved for some other infraction down the road. I'm curious as to whether this is a similar case.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Why is she on the news talking about this?

Surely the Organization has a list of places she can go, why all the drama?

http://www.mybloodsite.com/content/can-bloodless-surgery-program-be-implemented-my-hospital

Can a Bloodless Surgery Program Be Implemented in My Hospital?

“Studies [show] that skipping transfusions results in faster recoveries -- and therefore lower hospital costs.” -Josie Huang, Kennebec Journal

Over 240 hospitals worldwide have already established bloodless medicine and surgery programs. The cost is minimal compared to the rewards.

If you are a hospital administrator check out our bloodless hospital list and contact administrators from the hospitals listed. They may be able to help you establish a bloodless program of you own. Or, check the links listed at the bottom of this page. Listed are competent professional consultants and companies that have helped hospitals establish bloodless medicine and surgery programs worldwide.

“The average cost of a heart surgery without blood is $16,435. With blood transfusions, the same surgery costs $23,415.” -
    WOAIIf you are a concerned citizen who would like to persuade your hospital to establish a program you have quite a job ahead of you. Information provided in the MyBlood website will help.

“An estimate that 20,000-30,000 [bloodless surgeries] procedures [are] performed annually in the USA is not unreasonable.” -
    Health Industry Today “At Englewood Hospital the transfusion rate among patients receiving coronary artery bypass grafting is down to 8 percent.” -Dr. Aryeh Shander“Having a Center for Bloodless Medicine and Surgery [CBMS] specifically attracts a previously unseen population of patients to PAH. Therefore, all profit from the CBMS population, regardless of its magnitude can be considered as an incremental gain to the Hospital’s net margin. By creating and successfully running this program in today’s increasingly competitive healthcare environment, the CEO has strategically placed PAH in the forefront of modern health care.” -Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts) 2004“Transfusions and their associated medical complications raised hospital costs by more than 40%.” -CirculationRegarding new bloodless surgery options "Among the benefits are reductions in recovery time, hospital stay, cost and complications -- as well as an estimated $20,000 in savings per patient." -Dr. Charles Bridges, Cardiologist, Pennsylvania Hospital“The case [of] Raymond Talbert: He was able to leave the hospital four days after his heart surgery. Northeast Baptist says other patients who received the same procedure with blood transfusions spent 15 to 22 days in the hospital.” - WOAI
    “Just one unit of donated blood can cost a hospital more than $700. By the time the hospital matches the blood and does the transfusion, the cost to the patient can jump to $1,500 or more.” -WOAI"We perceive that hospitals will see bloodless surgery as a marketing strategy- that they will be 'forced' to provide an alternative to traditional surgery
    requiring transfusions." -
    Frank Stephenson, VP of marketing and sales for Harvest Technologies “Bloodless surgery centers … are powerful arenas that attract patients who…refuse blood.” -AORN Journal“Blood banks, meanwhile, have hiked prices to as much as $500 a pint, giving hospitals an incentive to use blood more judiciously.” -Valerie Reitman, Los Angeles Times
    “The hospital stay is also shorter for our bloodless patients, a cost savings for the patient and the institution.” -
    Dr. Patricia Ford, Pennsylvania Hospital
    “But if we had not implemented the [blood conservation] program, you could add another 30 percent to 35 percent to the budget of $3 million to $3.5 million for blood products.” -
    Ierachmiel Daskal, MD, PhD, chairman, Department of Pathology, Albert Einstein Medical Center“Paul Potter, M.D., and a keynote speaker at October's NABMS convention, estimates that using [bloodless surgery] in half of all procedures would save the heath care industry $3.7 billion a year.” -Health Industry Today“Hospitals must pick up the tab for the first three units of blood infused per patient per calendar year. By contrast, hospitals may be reimbursed for drugs that boost a patient's red blood cell count.” -Jan Hoffman, Administrator, Blood Conservation Program, Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, Pennsylvania Wikipedia – Bloodless Surgery

“Issues such as the cost of blood, limited availability and the potentially harmful effects of transfusion dictate continued research and the development of methods to appropriately minimize transfusion to patients having cardiac surgery.” -
    Dr. Thurer, Department of Surgery, Harvard Medical School
    Links to organizations, consultants and websites that may assist in educating administrators and help in establishing a bloodless medicine and surgery program
    BHD - Bloodless Healthcare Development
    BMR - Bloodless Medicine Research - Europe
    CSABM - The Croatian Society for Advancement of Bloodless Medicine
    Hemo Concepts (Consultants)
    MSBM - Medical Society for Blood Management
    NATA - National Association for Transfusion Alternatives
    National Heart Lung and Blood Institute
    NoBlood.org - Bloodless Forum and Info
    SABM - Society for Advancement of Bloodless Medicine
    SBI - Synthetic Blood International

"Financial and other ‘rewards’ for donation attract high-risk populations such as drug abusers and sex workers…[the incidence of infectious diseases such as syphilis has risen twenty- to fortyfold during the last few years].” -
    Dr Alex Gromyko, WHO Regional Office for Europe World Health Organization, United Nations affiliate
    "The savings to hospitals that have employed a comprehensive program of reducing blood transfusions is, like, $3 million to $4 million a year. -
    Dr. Seski, Chief of Gynecologic Oncology, Allegheny General

purps

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I'm not anti-bloodless surgery. In fact I think it's an exciting medical advancement. But this kid needs some kind of medical help. And she's just going to die as her mom digs her heels in the ground and the health insurance does the same.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The WT dogma on blood has nothing to do with health care. It's theology.

Everything else is a red herring.

Also, their theology sucks. Here's what Jesus said:

Matthew 12:11, 12a

11 He said to them, "If any of you has a sheep and it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will you not take hold of it and lift it out? 12How much more valuable is a man than a sheep!

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

She keeps bringing up that she wants "NO RISKS INVOLVED". That makes absolutely no sense.

Yeah, No Risk ??? Lucky she lives in Paradise...

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

she says "I can not voluntarily just say yes ..."

Perhaps she is subtly pleading for court intervention.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Ok, I did not get that Medicaid would not pay for the surgery from the video.

http://www.jadoremag.com/2010/09/little-billie-first-do-no-harm/

If you click on this link ^^ and watch the video, she is not your typical witness, just by her dress.

Unfortunately, for her,

She is relying on a health system provided by worldly people, and they have rules and policies they go by.

She is making the decision, not the healthcare provider.

She is mad, but can only be mad at the rules she chose to live by.

Her God has not yet made it possible for her to get what she wants.

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

The mothers comment:

13 Comments

1. zayna August 25, 2010 at 3:36 pm

the only correction is this:

i have requested a HEARING with medicaid

also: this is a BLOODLESS surgery that DOES NOT require the use of a blood transfusion.

they are not trying to force a blood transfusion…
      they are trying to force me to sign a document
      (that is standard hospital policy) that will allow them to use blood in the event of an emergency.

however, IF there is an emergency, a blood transfusion would be futile because she would die before it would be able to be transfused due to the massive amount of blood loss, from such a small body.

….ps: they have taken my rights prior to this event & given her a blood transfusion and as a result, she got a bacterial infection in her blood.
      (and they wonder why…i refuse.)

THERE IS A BETTER ALTERNATIVE, i have found it, and they STILL will not approve me taking her out of state to a GA MEDICAID APPROVED DOCTOR & HOSPITAL to have the surgery done. they said, it’s not necessary…

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit