Upcoming Special Assembly - Take Refuge in Jehovah

by losthusband 23 Replies latest jw friends

• losthusband
    losthusband

Hi All.

I have to attend a Special Assembly on Saturday "Take Refuge in Jehovah".

Has anyone been to this yet....what can I expect?

Here is the line up.....

9:40 Song and Prayer
    9:50 Why Do We Need a Refuge?
    10:30 Help Others Find Refuge Under Jehovah's Wings
    10:55 Song 68 and Announcements
    11:05 Imitate Jehovah in Providing Refuge
    11:35 Dedication and Baptism
    12:05 Song 7
    1:30 Song 23
    1:35 Experiences
    1:45 Watchtower Summary
    2:15 Young People, Make Jehovah Your Confidence!
    2:30 Is Your Home a Haven of Delight?
    2:45 Song 69 and Announcements
    2:55 Our Spiritual Paradise - Jehovah's Provision for Refuge
    3:55 Song 121 and Prayer

I must also add that I have never been to one of these before and I am only going to appease the family, so please don't tell me not to go as it ain't gonna happen.

Any advice on surviving these things, and has anyone got any insight as to what will be mentioned??

Thanks.

LH

• cantleave
    cantleave

Read your notes from the last 10 SAD's, they don't change.

• carla
    carla

Well crap, when is this one? is the fall one dayer or is this the one that usually falls on Christmas Eve in my neck of the woods?

• sir82
    sir82
    what can I expect?

Expect each of the following points to be made repeatedly:

1) The world is evil, non-JWs are evil, everything outside of the JW organization is under the direct control of Satan

2) You're not doing enough, you worms!

3) Obedience to the whims and dictates of the Governing Body is the one and only true path to happiness

They won't be expressed in exactly those terms of course.....

Oh, and as a PS, even though there will many $$$thousands in the "circuit bank account", when they read the "accounts report", always early enough in the day to allow for more contributions, you can be sure there will a humungous deficit.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Please check out this thread...:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/199149/1/Crap-my-District-Overseer-says

Apparently from someone who's already attended their circuit assembly...

I found the comments about 'vampires' to be particularly amusing!!

Zid

• mouthy
    mouthy

And what ever you do ...dont tell any one if you have a cat.....That is a no-no
    But if you go, you will see LOVE in the people ,but tell em you dont believe that Christ came invisably in 1914
    And you will get the "loving" boot of shunning & disfellow ship as I did...& they will take away your fleshly famiily
    until you repent ..........
    I hope your mind wont get captured....

• undercover
    undercover
    Any advice on surviving these things, and has anyone got any insight as to what will be mentioned??

I think Sir82 covered what to expect pretty well. Guilt and fear followed by some 'do more' in service to Jehovah the organization admonitions.

How to survive...

Are you a drinking man? Slip a flask in your pocket and take trips to the bathroom or outside every couple of talks. Make sure it's a 10oz flask minimum. Once your brain is numbed, you should be able to doze off and get some shuteye. Let your wife drive home.

Or... take a smartphone and use an app to keep up with your favorite college football team, and then your second favorite, and your third and so on.

An ipod or iphone with earbuds so you can watch a movie or listen to music is another option. Now, to all the dubs in attendance, your using earbuds/ipod is going to seem rude, crass and downright 'apostate' in nature, but hey, that's the price of sanity.

• watson
    watson

That last talk looks like a real motivator~

• Mary
    Mary

Here's the REAL schedule:

9:40 Coffee and Bathroom Break
    9:50 Check Around You to See If You Know Anyone
    10:30 Make a Half-assed Attempt at Listening to What a Materialistic Beotch You Are
    10:55 Song 68 and Another Bathroom Break
    11:05 Do a Walk-about to Relieve the Boredom
    11:35 Suckers!! Watch Kids As Young as 7 or 8 Ruin Their Lives As They Get Dunked
    12:05 Song 7 - Lunchtime, Thank God!!
    1:30 Shopping Excersion Time
    1:35 Coffee and Reluctantly Make Your Way Back to Your Seat
    1:45 Watchtower Summary Nap Time
    2:15 Young People---Don't Do a Damn Thing With Your Life!
    2:30 Old People Ask: WTF Is Armageddon?
    2:45 Song 69 and Time for Another Walkabout
    2:55 Nap Time
    3:55 Time for a Much Needed Drink..........

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Yeah, I said I'd go this Saturday too. I'm really close to being allowed the privilege of my very own OKM.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit