For those who saw flaws in Watchtower doctrine and left. Why do you not apply the same standard of examination to your current beliefs?

by nicolaou 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ronpaul
    ronpaul

I had a similar experience, Nicolaou. When I left, I started to examine everything I had ever believed - not just about religion. So I became agnostic, but also had a series of personal epiphanies about broader subjects - especially current affairs, the nature of government etc.

Now when I remember being a JW, and look at my JW family, JWdom looks like conformity to broad societal norms. I've become much more "different" from those around me than I was before - but I enjoy that difference because it's really mine. It's very different from the imposed difference I remember from my school days.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I was kicked out of the cult (1914 unbelief) since then ( 1987) I have gone to every church ,most religions,
    & have come to the conclusion.religion is the opium of the masses. It causes more trouble in the world
    in MY opinion than anything. ME???? Yes I feel I have a PERSONAL relation ship with Christ....I feel he is my friend
    since so many in the WT that I loved shun me including my daughter & granddaughter.I am constantly amazed
    at how after I have asked direction in prayer I seem to get it, even when I do my own thing I then realize it
    was MY will not his,.And do it the way my conscience then directs. But I must add ALL the Churches I have spoken
    ( testimony) in .there are loving ,caring, folks,weather they believe the Catholic, Baptist, United, Two by twos,
    Prespertyrian,Salvation army ,many many others <Those churches I have given my testimony in.I believe
    MY GOD examines HEARTS NOT RELIGIONS.........
    My long two cents worth....

Mouthy >>>>YES!!! I know

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I did just that. I examined the WTS doctrines, and knew I needed to examine the Bible.
    I found the book lacking the backing of an Eternal Father.

I examined the Eternal Father and why people would say He is there. I found that lacking, too.

Just as I examined cognitive dissonance, I examined the anecdotal evidence of various beliefs and the psychological flaws in belief or in feeling the guidance (or even the actual voice) of God or the Lord.

I looked at various eastern beliefs and briefly looked at Islam. It didn't take long because I already knew some of the flaws in belief in the unproveable. I did like the ancient wisdom of the east that didn't demand belief in God. I found much value there. There's some value in various flawed beliefs also.

Don't get me wrong. I don't have all the answers and cannot say that science is at all the answers yet. But I am confident that science is willing to keep looking and so am I.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Why do you assume we haven't?

The big difference, as pointed out above, there are a number of Christian churches that do not require acceptance of every single thing they teach.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

We also need to remember that Doctrine is one thing, it tends to be man-made, Faith is another things altogether.

Its fine to be critical of doctrines, faith is not really something people should feel the need to criticize.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

On the issue of choosing your beliefs, I started a topic on that about four years ago (here). A poster named dmouse articulated the argument with clarity;

"You cannot choose what you believe. Belief is not like a switch that you can choose to turn off or on, left or right.

You believe what you believe until something comes along to influence that belief enough to change it - you have no control.

For example, it may be nice to believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden. I would love that to be true. But I cannot say 'I choose to believe in fairies' because, no matter what I state, say or do, I DON'T believe in fairies and NOTHING can change that ( unless a fairy knocks on my head and says 'excuse me!' ) Our beliefs are not fixed, they can change, but not without significant evidence.

And it really narks me too when I say I don't believe in God and people say 'that's your choice'. NO IT ISN'T!!!! If I were going to choose then I would much prefer to believe that there was a God up there that cared for us.

But we can't choose what we believe."

I agree with that.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

My reasons for leaving were 2 fold. I stopped going to meetings because I suddenly realized that I had gone from the happiest I'd ever been in my life to the most miserable, and I needed time to think about that. I still thought that I might return at some point in the future. I even prayed about it.

I then stayed away because I began examining the doctrines and the literature more closely. The doctrines seemed untrue (or at least doubtful and unsupported) and the literature seemed poorly researched (or even intentionally misleading). So that settled it for me. I wasn't going back and I felt pretty good about it.

All That started me thinking about all religions along these lines, and soon, I began to see myself as an agnostic. Later, an atheist, though the only thing that changed was my definition of the word.

Like you, Nico, I don't think we threw out the baby with the bath water. I tend to feel take that as an insult, or a convenient attempt by believers to psychologize atheists. I try not to do that back at believers, though I'll fall into that trap more easily with JWs.

I almost agree with you and the person you were quoting on how beliefs are formed. I wouldn't say that you have no control. People ignore evidence or solid arguments that oppose beliefs they favor. Especially if they have invested a lot in those beliefs. They could try to listen to those points more openly. But that only offers them a very limited amount of control. I would still say that -- IMO -- you're both mostly right about that. :-)

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

For those who saw flaws in Watchtower doctrine and left. Why do you not apply the same standard of examination to your current beliefs?

Nicolaou. Is this a serious question?

Why should I even have a current belief? I simply don't believe in the need for a belief.

• leavingwt
  • sabastious
    sabastious

One day the world will know that idolizing sacred texts is the fundamental culprit of religious and spiritual intolerence.

Don't just divorce the Religion, divorce the Book.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit