For those who saw flaws in Watchtower doctrine and left. Why do you not apply the same standard of examination to your current beliefs?

by nicolaou 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sabastious
    sabastious

WELCOME ronpaul!

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    faith is not really something people should feel the need to criticize.

Really? What about these statements:

"I have faith that killing this fag is the right thing to do."

or

"I have faith that I will make it into heaven after I kill myself and all these civilians."

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Really? What about these statements:
    "I have faith that killing this fag is the right thing to do."
    or

"I have faith that I will make it into heaven after I kill myself and all these civilians.

Those are expressions of faith, albeit horrific ones.

But I see your point and you in that regard, yes you are right, things like should be criticized.

• arimatthewdavies
  • steve2
    steve2

Nicolaou, you may or may not have intended to, but your thread question oozes negative insinuations. Little wonder, most people who've responded have felt the need to justify why they left.

• undercover
    undercover
    For those who saw flaws in Watchtower doctrine and left. Why do you not apply the same standard of examination to your current beliefs?

I try to. And not just belief in a supreme being or a particular religion but my views on most everything.

As I go through life now, if I find myself expressing a belief in something, anything, and I have no factual basis for that belief or held idea, I'll make a note to research it and study why I hold that idea. Sometimes I catch myself saying something and realizing that it's a belief and not a proven fact.

As I dig into it, I sometimes reinforce my held belief, other times I realize that I might need to adjust my viewpoint. And sometimes I'm just plain wrong and it's not until I've been pegged by someone else that I realize it. It's kinda embarrassing when you realize that you left an entire way of life behind because of flawed doctrine/dogma only to get caught spouting rhetoric that has no factual basis.

• mamalove
    mamalove

I love that eloquent quote, I think I might need that for Facebook. Is that ok dmouse? :)

I am still defining my beliefs. But it feels good to give myself the permission to question. For now, my internal moral character prevails and the golden rule. I have not taken up worship anywhere else yet.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi Steve,

sorry if I came across as negative, it wasn't intentional. I'm of the opinion that we should all - believers and non-believers alike - apply a rigorous 'standard of examination' to our beliefs.

To some it just doesn't matter, you often hear them say "so long as I don't hurt anybody what's it to you?" But ignorance CAN hurt people. Science has got it wrong plenty of times, think of thalidomide. And religious belief causes all sorts of suffering.

It matters, and though I wasn't trying to be negative I can't help having a lot of negative opinions about faith, religion and the damage to society that they cause.

Nic'

• steve2
    steve2
    It matters, and though I wasn't trying to be negative I can't help having a lot of negative opinions about faith, religion and the damage to society that they cause.

Hey thanks for the clarification Nicolaou. I agree with you - "faith" often legitimizes hatred of others by any other name.

• Violia
    Violia

As Tec said, I also left due to lack of mercy and inconsistent punishment and cliques and all that suff. Later I saw the doctrines. Well, I guess I did see some doctine issues, 1975 ( which I excused as excessive enthusiasm), the baptismal vow change in 85, Jesus no longer being the mediator for most of us, The DF issue and blood-- which I never agreed with. I probably would have stayed had they played fair on the the justice and mercy deal, but they did not. I would have just done what an elder one told me, keep it to myself.

As far as any new religion etc now, I am just as careful now. I know I won't get hurt again b/c I will never allow a religion to tell me shun my family or friends or irrationally hate others. I can think now so I am not fearful. My BS detector is working now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit