For those who saw flaws in Watchtower doctrine and left. Why do you not apply the same standard of examination to your current beliefs?

by nicolaou 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I know that many left because of a lack of real love or for other personal reasons. I would never belittle those reasons for exiting, they are as valid as any other, but if that describes your situation then perhaps this topic might not apply so much to you.

I left the Watchtower because I came to realise the doctrine was flawed. I was in my mid 30's before my mind begin waking up and I started to develop basic critical thinking abilities. I hung on to god for several years after I left dubdom (check my topic history) but sure enough the curiosity and hunger for knowledge that had propelled me out of a religious cult inevitably led me out of religion altogether.

Folks have said to me that it's a shame I "threw the baby out with the bath water". I don't see it like that. A baby is precious, my faith in the Watchtower/God/Jesus . . . . well I don't want to be deliberately rude but I can only equate them with refuse that needed throwing out of my life.

So how about you? How come you've left one form of christianity but not walked all the way out of the door marked 'Faith'?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

If I stopped believing in everything then I'd never believe in anything.

Personally, I prefer understanding belief and allowing that understanding to temper my dogmatism over tossing aside belief completely.

But I'm not really the sort of "believer" your question is aimed at. I'm a sort of deist, taoist, agnostic right now.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Nico,

It seems like you are insinuating that people that have faith in a religion do NOT have critical thinking skills because they choose to have "faith", yes?

• teel
    teel

I do apply constantly. And regarding how come I still have faith, it's simple really: because they're my beliefs Noone forced them on me, they're not so rigid, and I'm not claiming I'm right. It is just what I gathered from my personal experience.

If I were to say this to a JW, I would show a big attack target: "Oh, so you cherry pick what to believe and what not?" Yeah... so? The GB does exactly the same... except they have the gall to force them on others.

• believingxjw
    believingxjw

The Governing Body makes cookie cutter Chrisitians, everyone has to believe the same. When we wake up we can believe as we want to believe or as we feel is right or true. We're all different.

• tec
    tec

I never left because of flaws in doctrine. I didn't find those until later. I left because of the lack of love/mercy that they were showing God to be. I left believing something was wrong with me, that I thought this.

Sorry - so I guess your post wasn't really directed at me either.

Tammy

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

As an agnostic, my current beliefs are fairly fluid. And I hope they always remain so; always willing to reanalyze my positions on issues so as better to understand all viewpoints. I am open and generally respectful of all people's beliefs no matter how much I disagree with them.

I feel that this mindset allows me to debate and discuss anything with anyone who is willing to sit down.

Multiple perspectives are the spice of life.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Nic,

I went through the same process, and am now of the opinion that if there is a creator what does it care.

If it demands worship then I want nothing to do with it, therefore I live my life without thinking about it.

CL -of the more atheist than agnostic class

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I did.

If I don't know something from first hand experience, I don't believe it.

We can have dialogues about possibilities, but I have firmly walked through the door to a happy, superstitious-free, non-brain-washed life.

"Religion: A contradiction from God."

I love BTS's response to another post: something like, "I believe because I choose to." That's honest, and IMHO the most accurate thing that's ever been said on this board on the subject.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I have noticed that many ex-jw's have NOT left behind the kind of thinking that got them into the WT in the first place and kept them there:

I am right and everyoen that doesn't agree with my view is wrong and doesn't understand the "truth" ( whatever the truth may be at the time for them).

It is THIS type of thinking that is NOT critical and that keeps people in the WT.

Know that you don't know everything and that there is more than one possibility to every question is the REAL starting point to critical thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit