Anyone Know JW's who Donated Inheritances, Estates,$$$ to WT Society ?

by flipper 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

The vast majority of my aunts and uncles left their entire estates to the society. The ones that are still living have everything willed to the society including my parents. My grand mother gave $50,000 to the circuit overseer to give to the society last year. None of my siblings or cousins stayed in the borg - so the older generation decided their kids should not get a cent. I suppose when my parents go, I will be willed all the watchtower and awake volumes and maybe a waffle iron that the society does not want.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Wow @ the Grant Suiter story.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Wow @ the Grant Suiter story.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I sit here again with my heart a-stir, perhaps conscience stricken even after all this time. I left the organization in mid '80s.

I had been a pioneer 5 yrs and at Bethel 5 yrs. ('69-'74). I married there, Knorr officated the wedding in the Booklyn Heights Hall.

My ex now, worked with Suiter in the Treasurer's office. A couple times I was invited with my ex to Suiter's room. It was not like a typical Bethelite's room. It was quite elaborate with furnishings, not Bethel furniture. The Suiters clothing did not represent typical clothing of most Bethelites (then $14/mo.).

Most of us bragged that we found our outfit or shoes in the "hopper." Monday mornings, we housekeepers rushed around the hoppers at nearby floors to see if anyone brought back used clothes, shoes from their nearby congregations. I must say, even Audrey Knorr, would be proud of her findings there. I was never in Knorrs living quarters but their clothes were not "elaborate." I was a housekeeper on the 8th floor in the 124 building (including Bethel library and some writing dept. offices) and delivered the new literature even to Fred Franz' room (9th floor). His room was not elaborate, typical Bethel furniture with a few Japanese items, he loved the Japanese, we would kid he liked them because they were small people like him.

My ex, now, was often a chauffuer, for the Suiters, going to and coming from the airport. I went a couple times and was amazed how nice the cars were owned by the Society. We went to eat with them a couple times. It was a very upscale famous older restaurant in Brooklyn. Suiter insisted on me getting Alaskan King crab which I never had before, and he paid, of course. We went to the Wallkill Farm one time for a weekend with them and stayed in very nice rooms, better than average.

As a housekeeper, we would have to clean other assignments when their housekeeper was sick or on vacation. It was clear, with many couples, the longer they were there, their rooms perhaps had family or JW friends giving them ''extra." Gifts are gifts, and I can not make much judgement there, but I realized when visiting an elderly man in one congregation one time, I remarked a decoration (can't even remember now item) being so beautiful and he just quickly offered for me to take it. My brother and I refused, saying I really didn't have the room. My brother would inform them that he did g-jobbing (waitering and plumbing, on the side for our extra money, which Bethelites were not suppose to do). But it shows the power that could be abused by some in Bethel or upper positions.

One day, my husband then, gave me a bracelet. He said someone had donated jewelry to the Society. So, he bought it. I never knew how much he paid for it as he had some money due to inheritance of his father. After our divorce, I took the bracelet to a jeweler. There are 7 stones, the big one is a zerconia, but the 6 others are diamonds, not chips. Regrettably, I still have it, never wear it. I must get rid of it some day.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Gayle: That was an amazing story!! Loved it!

Is it okay if I send you an IM?

• Joliette
    Joliette

Oops I mean PM.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Sure, you can PM me, Joliette.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Ok ;)

• bigmac
    bigmac

last year my dear old dad told me he had given his cong £5,000 towards the cost of buying a hall. wasn't i delighted!! dents my inheritance for sure.

if there is a god, can he burn the place down? empty , of course,--i'm not that bitter.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

I gave way, way too much. I don't even want to imagine what my mother gave. It's scary.

I know of an older couple that willed all of their assets to the WTBTS because both of their sons were disfellowshipped. That's the only example I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there were others who simply didn't make it known.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit