Oz Govt following UK & French lead on Tax/Charity status

by Mattieu 153 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Don't worry about it debator.

If they are Jehovah's Org, He'll look after them....

.... If it isn't, he won't.

Right up to the point they rationalize everything away. If they "win" it is because Jehovah protected them. If they "lose" it is because of that evil, crafty Satan attacking them.

It's NEVER...well...I guess we just didn't have Jehovah's support. It's NEVER...you know...we sure are getting hit legally around the world...are we perhaps doing something wrong? It's NEVER self-reflective analysis.

• bohm
    bohm

Debator: The question was: "Explain to an australian tax-payer why scientology should not have to pay taxes."

Debator is trying for the 3rd time to make a valid answer. This time i cant get past the 1rst line because its so absurd:

I am not arguing the point on whether religions abuse their non-profit status (clearly many do) but they are the mental property of our spirtuality.

Are you saying that no matter how much scientology abuse its non-profit status, they should not pay tax because they are "the mental property of our spirituality"?

Said in another way. Is your answer: "Hey australian taxpayer! Yah, i know scientology abuse the crap out of its status, but hey, they call themselves a religion, so who the heck are you to pass a law that prevent the ABUSE of the system your taxes sustain!"

• darthfader
    darthfader

Taxing a spiritual choice? That statement makes little sense. It is the profit from selling assets (New York property or books in some countries) for a profit that should be taxed. That activity has very little to do with your spiritual choice. If you had no Kingdom Hall or large printing presses, would you still "serve Jehovah" and not forsake the gathering of yourselves together?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The U K Govt. still recognizes The Watchtower Society and all registered congregations as charities. They get the tax refund on donated contributions that are registered.

The Charities Commission here recognizes "The advancement of religion " as a charitable purpose, although they are supposed to also show that their activities are "for the public benefit" Scientology lost its charitable status a while back.

I have sometimes mused about a campaign to encourage the barring of the WTS from the Charities Acts...but so far I have not done anything about it

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa, you have put your foot in your mouth again.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The WTBTS lost its charitable status in France because the Government agency defined charity as something above and beyond going Door to Bore taking donations for literature that has already been paid for by those going around with it.

Religions that feed the homeless, educate orphans, look after the elderly provide medical aid to third world countries and other practical ways of giving charity have kept it.

Real charities like Jesus, give to all those in need, without deciding first if they "are deserving" as the Witchtower once put it.

The purpose of the Congregation as they said is to get a JOB done - namely the preaching work. AS the dismal figures for last year show, this is mainly going around telling people the Watchtower god will kill you, then holding out a sweaty paw hoping for a voluntary donation. CHARITY?

HB

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Tax all religions who don't turn over a determined percentage of collections to approved charities, that is my take.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    People no longer will be asking religions what God they believe in but what charitable work they do from a list of acceptable ones. Ex-Religions will just join the thousands of non-religious charitable organisations. And a poor, starving person will get food but he/she doesn't need a Bible apparently or to know about Jehovah.

I think you said this sarcastically, but I agree with it 100%.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

I agree with Pistoff.

• bohm
    bohm

I nominate this for the most stupid argument ever: "churches should not pay tax, because it cost nothing to be an atheist!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit