holding hands in prayer thing

by bez 36 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I forgot about this subject. This forum was on fire when the article first hit the presses. Since then, speaking from what I've observed at my congregation, people still hold hands. I see whole families holding hands. Husband and wives holding hands. There's one family where the daughter is pioneering, and her best friend pioneers with her. The whole family including the best friend are all holding hands together. Four people all joined together by hand during the prayer.

I'm wondering what generated this article. This forum is a mish mash of various people. Anybody on here aware of any congregations or cultures that would frown on people holding hands or arms around family during prayers?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Holding hands during prayer sounds very dodgy indeed. The repressed sexual desire among JWs could erupt and they could be overcome with passion and desire for further physical contact.

When I was a JW, even holding hands in the cinema was forbidden! My personal view is that they should all sit on their hands, their own hands that is, not each others. They should concentrate on the awesome reality that they are telepathically talking to Jehovah the most high. Meeting are serious occasions and not meant to be used as an excuse for a love in. What are the current crop of JWs playing at?

• bez
    bez

Gladiator .. My personal view is that they should all sit on their hands, their own hands that is, not each others.

lol, this made me chuckle!

• nelly136
    nelly136

Reminder:Don't forget to close your eyes during prayer

hmmm, just wondering where in the bible it says shut your eyes during prayer?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

There could be more than one reason why the NT writers never mentioned husbands holding hands with their wife.

1 - In some communities it was still the custom for men and women to sit apart.

2 It was such an unremarkable thing that happened all the time.

To say because something is never mentioned in the Bible does not make it non existent. People probably had to run outside the early churches for a pee or a crap, but this is never mentioned.

Did Jesus Christ fart?

HB

• sabastious
    sabastious

I always just lightly cupped my wifes butt during prayers, I guess that wouldn't be ok after this article.

-Sab

• pirata
    pirata
    I always just lightly cupped my wifes butt during prayers

2 publishers. 1 cup.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit