holding hands in prayer thing

by bez 36 Replies latest jw friends

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

Reminder:Don't forget to close your eyes during prayer

• truthseekeriam
  • wantstoleave
    wantstoleave

There is also an unwritten rule about not holding hands with your fiance (least in my area it was anyway). Until you're married you aren't allowed to hold hands, sit with them at meetings etc. Of course there was always the odd one who went against this and next meeting was back sitting with his/her family. I hated that 'rule' because days out from my wedding, my parents wouldn't allow me to hold hands with my partner. Then the new rule about holding hands, embracing in the KH was out too.

JW members on a whole aren't all that lovey dovey in the KH anyway, but to ban holding hands?! I heard some say that to single ones, especially single sisters, seeing a couple hold hands could be very upsetting, thus to refrain from showing any affection. For goodness sake, do they not see couples holding hands at the store? At the movies? Out and about? Surely they can restrain themselves from getting upset at seeing others in love?

• White Dove
    White Dove

They sound extremely homophobic, too.

Debator,

Your scriptures support personal, silent praying in a group setting, letting the prayers be private between the individuals and god.

Just because something's not mentioned, does not preclude it from possibly happening.

A moment of silence appears to be strongly supported by those scriptures you sited.

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. Vacation, School, Work....bla..bla bla....But:

This is exaclty what stopped me from going to the meetings. I attended my last 2 day assembly back before the holidays and a member from the governing body gave the last talk. He spoke about this. I was stunned. He said it numerous times. Trying to be funny...such as saying ..You shouldn't reach accross and touch your son's head in affection....Hug your family....cause someone might get the wrong idea during the prayer. My son who was 10 at the time leaned over to me and said "Why don't they counsel people to keep their eyes closed?" That was it for me. I was done. I almost stood and walked my children out. I was so mad. My in-laws were right next to me, I think out of love for them was the only reason I didn't cause a scene. Some reason this was my turning point. I am through.

• designs
    designs

crazy2-

You were gracious in your exit. Austerity and vilification of the flesh go way back in religious circles. You saw it first hand and the light bulb went on.

From the time of Russell with his quirky relationship to his wife, to Rutherford with his relationship to his wife these leaders we had set the worse kind of example for natural affection in a family.

And its only getting worse.

• StAnn
    StAnn

All I can say is, this is just more evidence of how stupid the Borg are.

• debator
    debator

Hi White dove

There are also examples where is prayer is being said for a whole group to Jehovah and written down in the Bible as well but that doesn't preclude them all meditating on it personally as they pray to Jehovah.

Philippians 4:20
    To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

"Amen" is used as an agreement confirmation.

The point is simply however many are involved it is between them and Jehovah rather than each other.

• bez
    bez

Debator?renai... where in the scriptures does it command to not show affection during a prayer? or where is the principal?

And before you answer this, its a warm embrace or hands held during a prayer , its not a 'sexual' thing! Where is the scriptual guidance on such thing? Is it in the same place where it tells you report the hours you cover on the ministry each month? Or maybe the same place that it tells you not to celebrate birthdays, but its ok to wear a wedding band, despite both having pagan origins?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

After this same WT article me and my wife hugged closely during the prayer. I think pretty much everyone thought it was ridiculous. I thought we should make out during the prayer to prove our point, but she wasn't up for that...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit