holding hands in prayer thing

by bez 36 Replies latest jw friends

• bez
    bez

'sisters' must not wear make up as it is a reflection of jezabel ... lol, watch this space!

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Tho i can see the point of the link up thing, Like a whole row of people linking arms and people visiting for the first time are bound to think (and in some cases correctly) what a bunch of weirdo's, and be put off ever going back!

Yeah, cuz so many people are breaking the door down to get into KH's...

Just one more rule with zero biblical backing....so totally not cultish at ALL!!!

• bez
    bez

Yeah, cuz so many people are breaking the door down to get into KH's...

lol poopsiecakes, good point

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

You can hold hands with your wife during the prayer, but God help you if you doff your hat to a woman.

To refrain from tipping the hat to a woman does not mean one disrespects her. Frequently it is the ones who are excessively courteous and gallant to women who show the least respect for womanhood. They use these flattering gestures and forms of outward courtesy hypocritically, as an opening wedge for improper advances that ultimately show disrespect and lead to misuse of women. It is not good to flatter people, to turn their head; it is to their harm. Specifically, why would a woman want this special show of respect from a man? One woman said in response to this question: “You don’t know how important it makes a woman feel to have a man tip his hat to her.” That is sufficient reason for Christians to refrain from the custom. It is not in the interests of the individual to make him feel important, whether the individual is male or female.

15 April 1952 WT QFR

• debator
    debator

This is about prayers to God?

Jesus himself was very clear about the personal nature of prayer betwen a person and God.

Matthew 6:6
    But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Luke 5:16
    But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.

Guess you should be telling Jesus prayer is a group-hug thing now?

I did check through a lot of greek scripture references to prayer and none of them talk about hugging etc. "Hands on" is only used in a healing scenario with prayer.

So why make a spectacle out of prayer? Keep it simple, keep it to Jehovah.

• bez
    bez

'public prayers' at the meetings must be wrong too then, and almost like the pharisees!

• debator
    debator

Hi Bez

public prayers happened biblically especially when followers gathered together including times with Jesus and his apostles (no group hugging mentioned).

Luke 1:10
    And when the time for the burning of incense came, all the assembled worshipers were praying outside.

Also in God's house where they worshiped.

Luke 19:46
    "It is written," he said to them, " 'My house will be a house of prayer' ; but you have made it 'a den of robbers.' "

I did come across this interesting one concerning Jesus.

Luke 9:18
    Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, "Who do the crowds say I am?"

Jesus prayed privately to his father yet the disciples where with him. Everything I checked showed the deepest heartfelt prayers are when someone is alone between them and Jehovah even if others are around them.

Prayer is definitely a personal thing between you and Jehovah.

• its_me!
    its_me!

If prayer is such a personal thing between an individual and Jehovah, why doesn't everyone just say their own personal prayers through the meetings? Rather than just saying Amen outloud in answer to the prayer of one brother on stage?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Religion is always and everywhere scared of the power of passion and will seek to curb its expression at every turn.

• booby
    booby

I'd be willing to bet that to debator black is not and white is not but if someone declares black to be black he/she would declare it to be white and vice versa. I think too that if someone mentions the truism that shit stinks he/she would declare that it is closer to benign in that aspect. Rabbit shit would be rather than oval shaped little turds actually chocolate coated peanuts. And one could go on and on with these little sillies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit