holding hands in prayer thing

by bez 36 Replies latest jw friends

• bez
    bez

... is this "no holding hands in prayers" law really true??? I have not heard of this before? When did this happen? anyone attending meetings at mo that was at the meeting that addressed this issue? And was it just your cong that made this rule up or the WT?

I am just intrigued.. surely not... it sounds so ridiculous???

• pirata
    pirata

It's a very recent suggestion:

*** w09 11/15 pp. 6-7 par. 19 What Do Your Prayers Say About You? ***

19 When we are being represented in public prayer, we need to display reverential “fear of God.” (1 Pet. 2:17) There may be a proper time and place for some actions that would be inappropriate at a Christian meeting. (Eccl. 3:1) For instance, suppose someone sought to have all in a group link arms or hold hands during such a prayer. This might offend or distract some, including visitors who do not share our beliefs. Some marriage mates might discreetly hold hands, but if they embraced each other during public prayer, those who got a glimpse of such conduct might be stumbled. They might think or get the impression that the couple was focusing on their romantic relationship instead of reverence for Jehovah. Out of deep respect for him, let us therefore “do all things for God’s glory” and avoid conduct that could distract, shock, or stumble anyone.—1 Cor. 10:31, 32; 2 Cor. 6:3.

• pirata
    pirata

A close look at the wording suggests that couples holding hands is okay, but embracing is not.

• bez
    bez

'discreet' holding hands is ok.... odd

Tho i can see the point of the link up thing, Like a whole row of people linking arms and people visiting for the first time are bound to think (and in some cases correctly) what a bunch of weirdo's, and be put off ever going back!

• agonus
    agonus

Oh, we MIGHT, MIGHT, DISCREETLY hold hands during prayer. MIGHT, if we DARE be so BRAZEN! Oh thank the faithful and discreet slave for their mercy in suggesting that some DISCREET affection during worship MIGHT not incur the wrath of our loving God...

• agonus
    agonus

How dare we show human affection during worship. This is about God, not love.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Yeah, we had a family that did the whole huggy thing, nobody wanted to sit next to them or you would get linked. funnily enogh, this uber-self-righteous family had a vaery hard time with this. it was great to make make comments (when the opporttunity came up) to state that those who are failthful in least are faithful in much, blah, blah, recent direction on not having group hugging, bla, blah, stumble people, blah, blah.....

The picture in the study version struck me as very odd and somewhat troubling.

• agonus
    agonus

Haven't seen the picture. A bit robotic, is it?

• agonus
    agonus

I tell ya, this cult just keeps getting droidier and droidier. DubDroids!

• mamalove
    mamalove

Thanks for the article. That is really....wow. I wonder what they would have thought if they knew I had nursed my children at assemblies at my seat? Brazen indeed. First denim skirts, flip flops, now hugging/hand holding, I wonder what will be next?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit