The Issue is Not that God WANTS Us to Suffer...

by AGuest 404 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Read it again, NVL.

Perhaps, for the first time?

Heaven is coming HERE!

People are going to be cured!

Hallelujah!

Syl

• bohm
    bohm

snowbird: its impossible to define an objective standard of moral, but i have a heuristic that i apply when i want to judge if some action carried out by a person is good or bad: I put myself in his shoes the best way i can, and i try to see what i would do, and more importantly, what i would feel afterwards had i dont what they had done.

Thats the standard i try to judge God after: I try to create a situation that seem similar to what is going on right now, and i judge God from how i would feel. Its all i can do.

I would feel lousy for not pressing the "prevent all evil"-button. If i had waited a thousand years, i would feel even more lousy - i just dont get it.

Thats why i come to the conclusion i dont understand Gods actions, and they seem bad. In turn, that reflect onto God: He is not moral.

How do you think one should attempt to figure out if God is good or bad?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

However, we are the clay, God the Potter. He can and does do with us as He sees fit.

So much for free will.

Perhaps, for the first time?

I have already read it, how can I read it again for the first time?

Heaven is coming HERE!

No, it says everything will be created new and everything former will pass away. There won't be a "here", there will new a new place.

People are going to be cured!

It never says that.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    How do you think one should attempt to figure out if God is good or bad?

DON'T!

Just kidding.

My advice: Make a list of the malevolent things attributed to God.

Make another list of the benevolent things attributed to God.

Compare.

Draw conclusions.

NVL, are you sure you're reading the Bible???

Syl

• bohm
    bohm

snowbird:

Good: Made world.
    Bad: suffering of innocent.

?

• snowbird
    snowbird

No, no, no!!!

Bad

Brought flood, plagues

Ordered killing of children, women

Allowed slavery

Good

Creation

Sustains life

Appointed, protected Savior's lineage

Written Message

Sent Savior to die in our stead

Resurrected Savior

Promise of future Coming

---------------------------

Stuff like that.

Syl

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

The issue is that God ALLOWS us to suffer....

• snowbird
    snowbird

... until His time to end it.

Hi, Paul.

Syl

• tec
    tec

I think children are innocent to God. WE corrupt them. Jesus said that he longed to gather the children of Jerusalem... but they (Jerusalem) were not willing. I don't know why God allows suffering. I don't know what else is going on. I do trust Him, though - and I think he knows the way things will turn out and the way things would have been if he imposed his will on those who are not willing.

None of any of it changes the fact that we are responsible for making changes. We have ourselves to blame for the way things are. And we fall short on both, time and again.

You can't blame a god you're not listening to or believing in to begin with.

Tammy

• bohm
    bohm

Snowbird: Well, so what you are proposing (and a process you have gone through) is to list things God is supposed to have done, rate them if they are good/bad, and then draw a conclusion on how good/bad God is based on that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit