Hey, I'm new here! :)

by Alan_56 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Welcome to the gang Alan - this forum is a good place to be.

Loz x

• cantleave
    cantleave

Alan - so glad you have woken up at such a young age. Welcome to the board.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Build a pro and con list.

I was baptized at 17. When I saw through the religion - I had already given them my life to age 48. I just wanted to walk away - they wouldn't let me. They are not happy until they put you in a bad light - either dis-fellowship you for apostasy [which they tried] or force you to disassociate [which I did]. I lost 100+ 'friends' instantly, along with a few family members.

Think it through - if you don't believe in Jw's teaching, then you should not get baptized. If you just say 'no', they won't like it - but in time they will accept your decision. If you get baptized, you enter a contract that cannot be walked away from with any dignity. If you want to keep a relationship with your parents, your siblings, your family, then please think it through carefully before committing.

They didn't tell me I would have to lose my entire life if I quit - they never tell you that! I wish I could go back to your age and decide not to get wet that January day. My life would have been far different - I would have gotten an education, sought my own choices in the world, and not wasted decades going from door to door with my so called friends telling people the sky is falling.

Run - did I mention RUN?

Peace/Namaste

Jeff

• 3Mozzies
    3Mozzies

Welcome :)

Oh to be your age and really know the truth about the JW version of the truth would be awesome!

I have lost 30+ years in this cult, like others have said: RUN RUN RUN & don't look back!!!!

3Mozzies

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Welcome!

You have a full life ahead of you, grab onto it and figure out how to direct it to lead you where you want to go.

Being raised a JW, you were taught a lot of good morals, don't let everything go, take your time to sift the good from the bad.

By all means, avoid baptism. I have a daughter about your age, she was baptized at thirteen, I have another daughter now thirteen, she wants to be baptized and I am trying to get her to wait until she is an adult. Most friends and family will accept that you don't want to get baptized for the wrong reasons. You are encouraged to "make the truth your own", let them know that is what you have to do, it can't be a decision made because others are telling you it is time ... then, hopefully, as soon as you see the opportunity, like others have wisely suggested, RUN! RUN! RUN! Your parents will be disappointed and always hold out the hope that you will get baptized, but you won't lose them.

Convince yourself that it either is or isn't the truth. Don't take our word for it, prove it to yourself if you haven't already.

Its your life. Make it wonderful.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Hi Alan

At your age I was baptized, pioneering and all that jazz. YaY for you

You'll have a happy life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit