Hey, I'm new here! :)

by Alan_56 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

Hi Alan,,you are doing very well already to come to your conclusions at your age. Take it one day at a time. You don't have to rush, you have time. But correct, don't get baptized. It will make it more possible to keep your relationship with JW family to an extent for now. You may need family support yet? Will it be possible to go away for further schooling, on scholarships/loans. Do you have some extended family not JWs that you can get some guidance?

Again, glad you made it here. It's good to see you already have made concludsions that the JWs are not the truth and you seem to be well-aware of what are your needs as an individual. So many best wishes, you have many good positive times ahead in your life.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome and consider yourself lucky that you have the borg figured out at the tender age of 17. I was baptized and married at your age. Needless to say, it was a disaster! A rule of thumb for answering any question that shouldn't be asked is to be as firm and polite as possible. When someone asks you why you don't get baptized find a one line answer that you use all of the time. Something like "I"m still thinking about it," comes to mind. And just leave it at that. People will get sick of asking you if you keep giving them the same answer.

Your best bet is to get an education. You may want to check out AmeriCorps on line to see if there's a program you're interested in. Although the stipend only equals minimum wage, you will get health insurance and credits to pay tuition or student loans.

• Hadit
    Hadit

Welcome Alan! Good for you that you found out about the lack of truth in the org at the age of 17. Please don't let anyone pressure you to do anything. You can bring up Jesus and say that he is the model to follow and that he got baptized at the age of 30. You can say you don't feel ready or perhaps don't feel mature enough to handle the responsibility as it is a lifetime commitment. You could point out that you can't legally drink or rent a car so why rush other things. Please do take care that the depression you mentioned doesn't get out of hand. Perhaps get involved in a physical activity to keep you busy and active and it helps with stress.

Enjoy your youth. Get an education. Life your life.

I wish you all the best and take good care of yourself.

Hadit

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Hadit, you have a PM...

V665

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi Alan, nice to meet you.

Like others have said, you're very fortunate to have figured this out at 17. When I was 17 (1981) there was no Internet and no-one to talk to if you had any doubts. I was in my mid 30s before I worked out it wasn't the 'Truth'.

Please keep posting mate.

All the best,

Nic'

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

Hi and welcome. Stay strong and stick to YOUR beliefs, not theirs. Go get yourself an education.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi Alan. It's great that you worked it out so young and without a dunking. I missed out too. I disappeared from home at 17 to get away from my parents cult, but jobs were a lot easier to get back then.

There's no need to feel any guilt about not getting baptised now. If someone tries you out, just tell them Jesus didn't get dunked at 17, so back off.

We didn't ask our parents to raise us in a high control cult that encourages it's members to bahave badly towards it's doubting or non-believing children. That was our parent's choice and they have to grow a pair and deal with the consequences of their choice and not try to pass the buck for their bad behaviour on to their children.

You are not guilty of anything.

Welcome to the forum

Chris

• african GB Member
    african GB Member

Welcome HOME Alan.....

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Alan,

I left about at your age, but 30 years ago. I went to college and studied a field where I knew I could get a job or go into business myself. I've had a great life and am now raising a healthy family.

My advice is to stay cool until you have your future planned out. A smart general picks his battlefields. Talk with a trusted guidance counselor; and explain to him/her the problems you will encounter when your parents know you are looking to go to school. I think you will find alot of sympathy from "worldly" people at your plight, especially if they are from a mainstrem religion or atheist. When I was in college, there were special scholarships just for JW kids. College was super discouraged back then. You might find some type of scholarship.

Learn what interests you; and you will be successful and happy.

Skeeter

p.s. Welcome

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Glad you found us! Enjoy your stay...enjoy your life.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit