Anyone take depression/anxiety meds?

by tresdecu 35 Replies latest jw friends

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

AIW if one is truly ill,it's not good to deny it. if one suffers mental depression he has to be on medication.if he stops the medication there is the possibility of a relapse.

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

"AIW what are you basing these statements on? Are you trying to say that psychiatric illnesses do not exist? Psychiatric (psychotropic) meds have a limited psychological effect? You don't know what you're talking about. And BTW, Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication, not a pain medication."

Anxiety = pain, for me anyway. Xanax is classified as a Schedule IV controlled substance because it's addictive. The purpose for non-addictive psychiatric medications is to restore brain chemistry to its normal healthy state. If a person's mind is functioning properly, there's no need for medication to operate on the human mind.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/women-and-depression-discovering-hope/complete-index.shtml

Women and Depression: Discovering Hope

Chemicals and hormones

Brain chemistry appears to be a significant factor in depressive disorders. Modern brain-imaging technologies, such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), have shown that the brains of people suffering from depression look different than those of people without depression. The parts of the brain responsible for regulating mood, thinking, sleep, appetite and behavior don't appear to be functioning normally. In addition, important neurotransmitters-chemicals that brain cells use to communicate-appear to be out of balance. But these images do not reveal WHY the depression has occurred.

Only a qualified psychiatrist could make the correct diagnosis, but if the source of a person's anxiety/ depression is strictly related to their social environment, they don't necessarily suffer from a mental illness. In this situation, resolving the source of the person's anxiety/ depression would best be done by making the necessary adjustments to their social environment or making the best of it.

• alamb
    alamb

I was on a variety of prescribed antidepressants my last 6 years in the org. Found out all my symptoms were situational and not chemical imbalances. MY whole family is still on "pills" and in the organization.

As my mom says, "The system is so bad now, how can we make it without them?" She even told me to make an appt to get more pills so I can come back to meetings...and she'd pay for the office visit!!!

ummmmm.............no thanks.

Makes me think of the red pills/blue pills analogy. funny/sad

• seenitall
    seenitall

Yes, I take Zoloft and a B vitamin and fish oil each day. Relieves the panic attacks, anxiety and stress.

All the best to all that suffer.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Sigh, AIW that is why a person has to get a prescription for the meds. The person gets a full assessment by the dr, and then meds are prescribed if needed.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

I just start playing some music from Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin.....and everything is OK, the world is right again.

• agonus
    agonus

Sure. Right along with everyone else in the congregation!

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

Maybe the problem is you get upset too easily and then you get mad at all the problems that arise from your getting upset. Then you get depressed, which is anger turned inward.

Whether you should take medication or not, that is for you to decide, but instead of dealing with the problem, the medication just pushes the problem into the backround, but you will still have it.

Night Owl

• wasblind
    wasblind

As my mom says, "The system is so bad now, how can we make it without them?"

I'm startin' to believe that the WTS is not only a publishing and real estate company,

but have stock in the drug manufacturing companies as well. As long as the WTS keep

folks in need, the drug companies will always be in business.

• wasblind
    wasblind

alamb says: "Found out all my symptoms were situational and not chemical imbalances."

Night Owl says: "Whether you should take medication or not, that is for you to decide,"

alamb seems like a very sensible person Night Owl, when it comes to meds for depression that's serious business, one should not decide that on their own without the counsel of a medical Doctor or trained psychiatrist.

when are you gonna realize that you are no Dr. phil

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit