Anyone take depression/anxiety meds?

by tresdecu 35 Replies latest jw friends

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Just wondering if any ex or current "concious class" dubbers out there take anything; and if it works! My family is still in and with everything else going on in my life, sometimes I consider asking my doc about zolft / prosac.

Thanks for any replies!

I should just ask 85% of my congregation-mates ... lol

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Yes. It can be tricky though to get the right combo. You should go to a psychiatrist for a full exam.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I knew of six women in the cong I attended who took meds,

if they did'nt, they would not have been able to stand the pressure

this religion puts them, whether it's dealing with family issues or

doing enough for the Org.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Haven't needed them since I left the org - I was on antidepressants my last 15 years in.

• XPeterX
    XPeterX

Well nice thread but you should have named it:"How many JW's out there are on meds?".Believe me:A LOT.Most not-born-in JW's were either junkies,alcoholics,underdogs etc and now they fight their schizophrenic tendencies with antipsychotics.I know many who are on zanax/zyprexa/zoloft etc seems like the 'truth' attracts mentally handicapped people.

• Borgdrone
    Borgdrone

I take supplements for good health, but I have noticed some people acting and talking strange in the congregation. Could it be stress related?

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Thanks for your comments. Serinitynow, good idea I may bypass my GP and go to a psychiatrist for a full exam, and tell him/her that I no longer believe the religion I was raised in, but am stuck with wife and parents being full believers. Beside any meds prescribed to help 'deal' I think it will be good to verbalize to another human that I don't believe anymore. and maybe they have some experience with poor stuck-in cult people like me :-)

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    Beside any meds prescribed to help 'deal' I think it will be good to verbalize to another human that I don't believe anymore. and maybe they have some experience with poor stuck-in cult people like me :-)

Might I suggest that while you are trying to get a psychiatrist that you also get a therapist. I see a psychiatrist occasionally- mostly just to manage my meds. The therapist is good for talk therapy. Mine has been invaluable in helping me get to the root of my problems, and taking action to get better. I resisted her advice along the way, for example she tried to get me to write a letter to my father about my feelings related to his wrongdoings; I finally took her advice and did it- it was one of the best things I have done, I have finally been able to start healing. If you work at your emotional/mental health you can get better and have a better quality of life.

Also try to get a therapist/psychiatrist who have experience dealing with cults. That is one thing I wish my therapist and dr had experience in. They knew pretty much nothing about JWs until I started talking to them.

• wasblind
    wasblind

James 1:13 says, "When under trial, let no one say: "I am being tried by God." For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone."

It is not God who is stressing these Brothers and Sisters out, it is the WTS

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

For a few years, ending in 2002. The right meds was hard to figure out, since it's by trial and error.

Most useful if you're in therapy - otherwise it's just masking symptoms of a problem. The meds help therapy to make better headway.

Then again, if you're just trying to make through the meetings, it's more a lifestyle choice, eh?

When ready, ease off of them - reduce the dosage slowly over several months to avoid withdrawal.

Also try to get a therapist/psychiatrist who have experience dealing with cults. Very good advice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit