Dorky Geeky Gamer Thread

by agonus 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

So I went to my cousin Becca's birthday party at my uncle's house a few months ago, and her childhood friend Haley was there along with her mom. Both my cousin and her friend graduated from high school last year and just completed their first year in college. So I was talking with Haley's mom and she asked me where I lived, and after I told her, she said, "And you go to college there?" And I said yes and my aunt said: "She teaches there." And Haley's mom said: "Oh I thought you were a student!" And so I said, "No, I did go there as a student but I graduated and I just was teaching there." And then she said, "Wow, I was thinking you were going to school like Haley and Rebecca, you look so young!" And I smiled and said, "Thanks, that's really nice since I turn 40 in two weeks." Then she lowered her sunglasses to look at me directly. "Holy shit!" she said, "Time has been good to you. I should have stayed out of the sun."

• agonus
    agonus

That's great. I'm not quite 34 and just starting to get a few gray hairs on top. LOTS of gray in my beard though. Funny... if I shave my beard and keep my hair fairly short, I could pass for a college kid easily, but if I shaved my head and grew out my beard I could probably get senior discounts. Hey wait, that gives me an idea...

• agonus
    agonus

Back to games. Downloading an English patched rip of Ys IV for PC Engine... can't wait!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah I'm getting a few grey hairs too on my scalp. Is that you in your avatar?

So...if I wanted to download a good emulator for Atari, where would I go? I would love to play old Adventure again. I still have my Sega Genesis and it works fine.

• agonus
    agonus

Ha ha! Are you serious about the avatar question? It's Gordon Freeman from Half-Life! Though I do look a bit like the guy (sans glasses).

Here's a link to a nice Atari emulator: Stella

A good site for emulators in general: The Emulator Zone

Have fun!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL yeah I'm so old school...Not following the new games like them young whippersnappers. Well, American ones at least.

Thanks for the emu suggestion.

• agonus
    agonus

Oh, Gordon's been around since 1998! He's practically geriatric compared to most of these new pixelated punks! Except for Mario, who's been around since the beginning of the 80s and still manages to look great. No wonder the kids still love him.

• peacedog
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

That explains it. I was super busy with university stuff starting in '97. And I didn't even own a TV for several years. And when I got into games again, it was danmaku stuff. My idea of 1p shooter is still Doom. I guess this is gonna be one of the things that marks the generations; my nephew and niece are all into 1p zombie games.

peacedog....Great stuff! But no Adventure? :(

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Oh hold on, I just found Adventure. Cool. :D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit