Women as weaker vessel - explain?

by Libelle 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Libelle
    Libelle

Ack cross-post!

MrsJones, you're killing me here - respect the vulva! Nice.

No i dont think women are "fragile" or "weak" emotionally but since it was written by a man, from a man's point of view, i assume it was more of a statement that women let emotions influence them, as opposed to cold hard type "logic"

Hm, ok I can see this. The concept of emotions as weak always amuses me. Men have plenty of emotional triggers, too. Some men just express them differently than women do.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

i assume it was more of a statement that women let emotions influence them, as opposed to cold hard type "logic"... personally i think both are needed and valuable but there are times when letting emotion cloud your thinking could be viewed as "weak"... thus the encouragement to take your wife's emotions and feelings into account instead of letting cold hard logic rule all decision making.

Which is a broad stereotype about women. Not all women are emotional cripples and that definition goes quite far in explaining why women are thought to be less capable to handle such mundane tasks like handling a microphone.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hmmm ...

1 Peter 3:7 The same goes for you husbands: Be good husbands to your wives. Honor them, delight in them. As women they lack some of your advantages. But in the new life of God's grace, you're equals. Treat your wives, then, as equals so your prayers don't run aground. MSG

Syl

• Heaven
    Heaven

I agree. That's been my position on the bible for years, but The Mr, who's well entrenched in JWness, tells me I'm reading it all wrong.

Here's a thought. Switch the wording around so that it places MEN as the weaker vessel and see how he likes it. You could also do this with some of the scriptures that paint women in a not so good light and do the same thing. Maybe a light bulb will go on in his head.

I did this with one of my colleagues. It was uplifting to see him actually 'get it'.

• Heaven
    Heaven

As women they lack some of your advantages.

Since this scripture says 'some', exactly what advantages do women lack?

• elderelite
    elderelite

Please dont shoot the messenger (meaning me)... i am only offering what i hear from the platform and offering my own little thoughts on what it means. As I say i dont think emotions are weak. And I also agree that men have many emotional triggers (football season proves that). It was a male dominated society that wrote these things and thus it is reflected in the writings of the times.

However, i have benefited from the council to treat my wife as "fragile".. men are VERY rough with each other (locker room type mentality) and being reminded that women are not "rough" in the same ways is a positive thing. As men we can fight it out and be bloody and bleeding but still friends five minutes later. My wife isn't going for that. its different, but not weaker.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Since this scripture says 'some', exactly what advantages do women lack?

Men don't have periods and they don't have to pee as often as we do?

Syl

• Libelle
    Libelle

Which is a broad stereotype about women. Not all women are emotional cripples and that definition goes quite far in explaining why women are thought to be less capable to handle such mundane tasks like handling a microphone

Damn straight, MrsJ. I know plenty of men who have "emotional weaknesses" and plenty of women who function on nothing but cold hard logic. Personally, I think the ideal is a balance of the two, not the "strong, standard male" assumption of logic-only.

1 Peter 3:7 The same goes for you husbands: Be good husbands to your wives. Honor them, delight in them. As women they lack some of your advantages. But in the new life of God's grace, you're equals. Treat your wives, then, as equals so your prayers don't run aground. MSG

MSG? What's that mean. But still the mentality with this passage is still male default, message written for and addressed to men.

OH Heaven, Once upon a time, before The Mr was entrenched, I did that with him, even as it applies to the bible... But particularly using the example of walking into a room full of women and men and saying "hey gals!" instead of "hey guys!" You, me and anyone out there knows plenty of men would object vehemently to being referred to generically as "gals" when women are just supposed to be used to being "guys" without a second thought. Anyway, those types of statements used to make an impression on the pre-JW Mr.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Pardon me for just a moment. May I play Devil's advocate?

I've heard occasionally from some women in person, and figures in the media express regret over chivalry being dead. I'm curious, since some of you don't like being viewed as weaker vessells, are you glad that chivarly is dead? I still open doors for ladies, let them step out of the elevator before me, I walk on the side of the sidewalk closest to traffic, I give up my seat for women on the bus at times, etc.. Does it offend you that some men still give consideration to women in these regards?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    MSG? What's that mean.

The Message Bible.

But still the mentality with this passage is still male default, message written for and addressed to men.

Of course. Like it or not, it's a man's world.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit