Rich Man and Lazarus

by Ding 169 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ding
    Ding

I have never understood the Watchtower's explanation of the Rich Man and Lazarus story Jesus told in Luke 16. Of course, they don't believe Jesus is talking about what happens in an "afterlife" after people die.

But from the Watchtower's point of view:

1. Who are the five brothers?

2. Why can't Lazarus go witness to them? Aren't Jehovah's Witnesses supposed to witness to unbelievers?

3. For that matter, since the rich man now realizes the error of his ways, why can't HE go warn his brothers?

4. What does Jesus mean by "rise from the dead" when he says that the 5 brothers wouldn't repent even if someone should rise from the dead?

5. If Jesus believes, as the Watchtower does, that there is no soul or spirit of a man that survives physical death, why does he tell a story in which Abraham (a man who died centuries earlier) talks with two men who each "die" about how the rich man's brothers would react if someone "rises from the dead"?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome to the forum, Ding.

Your questions deserve answers. I need to do some research.

Thanks for putting up this topic.

All the best to you and yours.

CoCo

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@Ding:

I have never understood the Watchtower's explanation of the Rich Man and Lazarus story Jesus told in Luke 16. Of course, they don't believe Jesus is talking about what happens in an "afterlife" after people die.

My question to you at this point would be: Is this what you believe or what you want to believe Jesus is talking about in this parable about the Rich Man and Lazarus? If your answer is "yes," then your having someone else's opinion -- not the Watchtower's opinion, but the opinion of someone who is one of Jehovah's Witnesses as to its meaning would not likely be received with much gratitude since based on this statement of yours, it is evident that you are only curious as to the "take" of Jehovah's Witnesses on its meaning, rather than whether their "take" is the truth.

At any rate, here are the answers to your questions based on Luke 16:19-31:

1. Who are the five brothers?

These would be religionists like the scribes, the Pharisees, the Sadducees, as represented by the rich man, who were being subjected to much torment from the fiery message that was then being preached by Jesus' disciples, as represented by Lazarus.

2. Why can't Lazarus go witness to them? Aren't Jehovah's Witnesses supposed to witness to unbelievers?

Lazarus was already witnessing to them and, yes, Jehovah's Witnesses do give a witness to all, but the rich man's brothers weren't at all interested in putting faith in the message that Lazarus was preaching, which is why they were asking father Abraham the "favor" of allowing Lazarus to water down the judgment messages that had been tormenting the rich man and his brothers so that he might gain relief from the torments of the fiery message that Lazarus had been preaching against them.

3. For that matter, since the rich man now realizes the error of his ways, why can't HE go warn his brothers?

Where did you see that the rich man had come to realize the error of his ways? The parable doesn't even suggest that, but father Abraham totally ignores the request of the rich man to permit Lazarus to dip his finger in water so as to cool the tongue of the rich man, who was in an anguished state of mind himself due to those fiery messages being preached by Lazarus, let alone the torments that his brothers were feeling due to Lazarus' message.

4. What does Jesus mean by "rise from the dead" when he says that the 5 brothers wouldn't repent even if someone should rise from the dead?

Jesus was there referring to himself in that he had told everyone that his resurrection from the dead -- the sign of Jonah -- would be the only sign that he would give them as proof that he was the Messiah, but Jesus makes the point that even if they were to hear that a dead Jesus had risen from the dead that they would still be unbelieving and not acknowledge Jesus' resurrection as a sign proving that he was the Messiah.

5. If Jesus believes, as the Watchtower does, that there is no soul or spirit of a man that survives physical death, why does he tell a story in which Abraham (a man who died centuries earlier) talks with two men who each "die" about how the rich man's brothers would react if someone "rises from the dead"?

IOW, the characters in Jesus' story aren't real, so no one really dies, but the deaths of the Rich Man and of Lazarus and where they end up illustrate the change of spiritual condition that had changed where one group was exalted to heaven which denoted that Jesus' disciples had had God's approval, whereas the other group had been debased to Hades, which denoted that the Jewish religious leaders had lost God's approval. Like you said, the real patriarch Abraham had died centuries earlier, but these religious leaders claimed Abraham to be their father, and, again, Abraham represented Jehovah God, and as Jesus states at John 8:44, their "father" was really the devil.

As to your seeming willingness to believe the same lie that led to Eve joining the rebellion that was instigated by Satan in Eden, which cost she and her husband (Adam) their lives, you are just as free as Eve or any other human being endowed with free will to believe in the immortality of the human soul, to believe that it doesn't die, but that some part of you called "soul" lives on after the death of your body, but Eve was deceived by the Serpent (Satan) to believe what the Bible teaches simply isn't true at all! (Genesis 3:4-6; 1 Timothy 2:14; Ezekiel 18:4). Since you would not be deceived by anyone, what would be your excuse would be for putting faith in this same lie?

My question to you is this: What do you believe happens to one at death? What do you understand the Bible to teach in this regard? Do you believe as did Mother Eve Satan's lie that at your death you would really not be dead, but that you would become just like God? Mormons believe that when they die, they do not really die for their soul goes to heaven where they expect to become a god with their very own world. This is wholly unscriptural, but is this what you believe as well?

As I stated above, Jesus is here at Luke 16:19-31 telling a parable, providing a story by way of illustration, in order to make the point about the change in condition with respect to the Jewish system of worship that "father Abraham" representing God had formerly approved, which Jesus endeavored to replace with a different form of worship involving faith in him as the Messiah the Christian form of worship, which now had father Abraham's approval, for Lazarus being taken by the angels of God to heaven so that he came to be in the Abraham's bosom was to express Lazarus' position of favor before God, while the rich man's instead going to "Hades," which is the grave, was to contrast the debased condition in which the Jewish form of worship had sunk due to it no longer having God's approval.

Jesus had made the point just before he related this parable that the Law of Moses and the Prophets were binding from Moses until John the Baptist's ministry identified Jesus as the Messiah, but from then on it is the kingdom of God is going to be the message that is be declared as good news since the Law of Moses had served its purpose in identifying the one who would emerge as the Messiah or Christ, that being the Lord Jesus Christ. They claimed to be disciples of Moses, acknowledging belief in the fact that God had spoken to Moses, but their religion had sanctioned divorce of any ground whatsoever, which the Law of Moses did not do, so that what things Jesus was saying to them on this occasion was already irritating. (Luke 16:18)

The "great chasm" that served to separate the Rich Man, that is, the Jewish religionists, from Lazarus, that is, Jesus' disciples represented God’s unchangeable and righteous judgment against the Jewish system of worship that no longer had God's approval. (Luke 16:26)

And this is when Jesus launches into the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus, in which he also makes the point that these five brothers of the Rich Man have a different father than father Abraham, this different father being none other than Satan the Devil and these "five brothers" were allies of the Rich Man. (Luke 16:27)

@djeggnog

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

Dearest Tec... re the Rich Man and Lazarus.. have a look at this Ding, it's by AGuest.

Happy reading.

• Ding
    Ding

Djeggnog,

The Lie Satan Told Adam

The lie Satan told Adam (which Eve bought into) was twofold, that if they ate of the forbidden fruit (1) they would not surely die and (2) that they would become like God, knowing good and evil.

OF COURSE they died. But that begs the question. What is death? Is it the total annihilation of the personality as well as the body? Jehovah told Adam he would die on the day he ate of the fruit, but his body didn't die for over 900 years. The part of Adam that died on the day he ate the fruit was his spirit, an incorporeal part of him that connected him to Jehovah. This is why all descendants of Adam need to be reborn spiritually (John 3:3)

Paul says that man has a spirit within him that knows the man's thoughts. (1 Cor. 2:11) Obviously, this is not an "impersonal life force" because impersonal forces don't "know" anything.

Rich Man and Lazarus

Contrary to what you wrote in paragraph 2, the rich man never asks Abraham to have Lazarus tone down his message when speaking to the 5 brothers. Instead, he begs Abraham to send Lazarus to give his brothers A THOROUGH WITNESS (Luke 16:28, NWT) so they don't end up in the same place of torment where he is.

If it was Lazarus' thorough witness and fiery message that was causing the torment in the first place, an unrepentant rich man wouldn't ask Abraham to let Lazarus go TO his brothers to warn them with a thorough witness (Luke 16:28). If anything, he'd be begging Abraham to have Lazarus leave his brothers ALONE or to STOP warning them because the message was causing so much torment.

The rich man realizes the error of his ways. He wants his 5 brothers WARNED by Lazarus with a THOROUGH WITNESS so they don't END UP in torment like the rich man is experiencing. Given that, if he's still alive, why doesn't the rich man himself just go to his brothers and warn them himself?

On the other hand, if the story really is about what happens to people after physical death, the whole thing makes sense. The rich man learns that he is condemned and separated from God's paradise forever (the "great chasm"). He can't go back to his brothers and warn them because he is dead. He asks Abraham to send the righteous Lazarus to them to warn them, but Abraham tells him that if the brothers won't listen to Moses and the prophets they won't believe the truth even if Lazarus did go back from the dead and warn them.

The idea that some part of a man survives physical death does not contradict what God told Adam. It would only do so if "death" meant the total annihilation of everything the person is, and that's the very issue over which we're disagreeing. Jehovah told Adam that in the day he ate of the fruit he would die. But his body didn't die that day. The warning of an immediate death was not the warning of a total annihilation of Adam as a living being, either on the day he ate the fruit or later. In other words, that's not what death is.

The Terms Jesus Used

You probably think the interpretation I proposed is nonsense at best and a satanic lie at worst. So let's look at Jesus' story in its historical context.

At the time of Jesus, the Pharisees were teaching the following about what happens to a person after death (source: the first century Jewish historian, Josephus, in his discourse to the Greeks regarding Hades):

1. When a righteous Jew died, he had a soul that survived death and went to a paradise called "The Bosom of Abraham."

2. When an unrighteous Jew died, he had a soul that survived death and went to a place of conscious torment.

3. There was a great chasm between them so that the unrighteous could not get to Abraham's bosom and the righteous, no matter how compassionate, could not get to the other side to show mercy on the person in torment.

4. This was the state of the dead until the resurrection of their bodies, at which time God would pronounce his final judgment.

Let's assume for the moment that this teaching was the lie Eve bought into.

In that case, wouldn't Jesus denounce these phrases and teachings as heresy? "The teachers of the law say... but I say to you..."

Instead of denouncing this story as heresy, Jesus USES it almost word for word (Jesus did add the name "Lazarus" to the story)!

He doesn't explain to the Jews or to his disciples what the story "really means."

Why would Jesus talk about one person "dying" and going to "Abraham's bosom," knowing what that phrase already meant to the Jews?

Why would he talk about another man "dying" and going to be "in torment", knowing what those phrases already meant to the Jews?

Why would he talk about a "great chasm" separating them so no one could cross over to the other side, knowing what that phrase already meant to the Jews?

Why would he have Abraham answer the rich man's request to send Lazarus to his brothers to warn them of the torment with a statement that they wouldn't believe the truth even if someone rose from the dead? Wouldn't these Jews think he was talking about Lazarus coming back from the dead to witness to the brothers?

In fact, I submit that's exactly what Jesus WAS talking about. Abraham is telling the rich man that even if Lazarus rose from the dead to witness to those brothers, they still wouldn't believe. Is it just a coincidence that a short time later, Jesus raised a man named LAZARUS from the dead, and these very religious leaders didn't believe his witness? Granted, that Lazarus wasn't a poor beggar, but he was a man the religious leaders rejected because of his faith in Jesus. He literally came back from the dead and they didn't believe him.

The only difference Jesus makes in the story from what the Pharisees taught (besides the name "Lazarus") is who ends up where! And, of course, this is the key difference.

The rich Pharisees would have considered the poor beggar to be under Jehovah's curse, but he's the one who ends up in paradise in Abraham's bosom!

The rich Pharisees would have considered the rich man to be blessed by Jehovah, but he's the one who ends up in torment, separated from Abraham!

Jesus is warning the Pharisees that the very thing they taught about Hades was going to happen to them unless they repented before they died. After they die, there's no chance to repent even though they are conscious, realize their horrible fate, and beg to be relieved of it! That's why Jesus said, "in your life you received [past tense]", etc. The rich man's life on earth had ended; his body was dead!

What I Believe

You asked what I believe so I'll tell you.

No, I don't agree with the Mormons that a person can progress to godhood. I have spent hours talking with Mormons to show them from both the Bible and their Book of Mormon that such an idea is satanic heresy, part of the lie the serpent told to Adam.

I believe that when a Christian dies, his body dies, but his soul and spirit go to be with Christ in heaven. This is why Paul says he would rather "become absent from the body and to make our home with the Lord." (2 Cor. 5:8, NWT). I would ask you, how can a person "become absent from the body"? According to Watchtower teaching, there is NO separate part of a man that COULD be "absent from the body" and "home with the Lord."

In Philippians 1:21-24, Paul writes that for him to die is gain! He says would rather release and be with Christ, that that is far better. What part of a man "releases" at death and ends up "with Christ"?

Moses appeared with Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration (Luke 9:30). He even talked with Jesus about Jesus' upcoming death. How could this happen? How could Moses carry on a conversation with Jesus if at Moses' death Moses went completely out of existence and won't come to life again until the resurrection of his body, which still hasn't taken place?

Jesus told the religious leaders they should listen to Moses and the prophets.

Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob's bodies had been long dead when Moses encounted Jehovah at the burning bush. Yet Jehovah told Moses, "I AM the God of Abraham and God of Isaac and God of Jacob." He didn't say, "I was..." or "I will be..." He said, "I am" their God.

Jesus said this very statement of Jehovah about his relationship to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob proved that"He is the God, not of the dead, but of the living, for they are all living to them." (Luke 20:38). All living [present tense]. That can't just mean that Jehovah remembers them. We remember a lot of people who have died but by no means can it be said that these people are "all living to us."

With regard to unbelievers who die, I believe that they are conscious and separated from Jehovah's paradise forever. Knowing their fate is the torment Jesus spoke of in the story of the rich man and Lazarus. He adopted that very teaching of the Pharisees and used it. On the issue of life after death, he sided with the Pharisees against the Sadducees.

Ezekiel 18

You mentioned Ezekiel 18. Just as Ezekiel 18:4 and 18:20 talk about a soul that sins dying, so Ezekiel 18:27-28 says that a person who turns from his wickedness will "save his soul alive" and "not die." Clearly, this does not mean that a person who turns from wickedness will never physically die. What is this soul that will stay alive and not die?

Ecclesiastes 9:5

I don't remember you citing this verse, but I know the Watchtower uses it frequently, so I'll mention it in order to tell you what I believe.

I think we need to be extremely careful not to take everything that's stated in Ecclesiastes by the king as being Jehovah's revelation of reality. If we did, we'd believe that Jehovah is telling us that everything is meaningless (1:2) and a striving after wind (4:4). Obviously, that's not the correct way to understand this book.

Let's look all of Ecclesiates 9:5-6. If this passage is Jehovah's revelation that the "dead are conscious of nothing at all," then Jehovah is also telling us that the once a person is dead he has "no more reward [wages]" and "no portion any more to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun." So much for a resurrection to a paradise earth! This cannot be Jehovah's declaration of the effect of death.

We see nothing about a resurrection in Ecclesiastes. Why not? I believe it's because the book is written from the perspective of a man who is only looking at this life, at life "under the sun," a phrase he uses 29 times in the book. The book is a wisdom book which shows us the utter bankruptcy of the humanistic view that this life is all there is and that when we die it is all over.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Of course, they don't believe Jesus is talking about what happens in an "afterlife" after people die.

Of course Jesus' certainly did! It was a threat used by all the rest of them.

He preached the same parables as the Pharisees, his doctrinal mentors. Read the thread on hell on here. The Watchtower's history is a big lie.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/197915/1/Hell-is-the-Invention-of-the-Church

Randy

• james46888
    james46888

The parallels between Luke 16 and the Jewish literature of the time also should not be overlooked of course (1 Enoch 22 to cite one example)

• james46888
    james46888

"He preached the same parables as the Pharisees, his doctrinal mentors. Read the thread on hell on here. The Watchtower's history is a big lie."

Sorry Randy, I didn't read your post properly before I posted my own thoughts. Seems you were making a similar point to my own :)

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Ding: "The lie Satan told Adam (which Eve bought into) was twofold, that if they ate of the forbidden fruit (1) they would not surely die"

Is that anything like "Millions Now Living Will Never Die"?

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

cool James.

It's amazing when I was challenged in 1982 or so by a brother who was "anointed" on the subject of hell. I took almost a year to search many historical sources. The best books out on the subject, pro and con, were "The Fire That Consumes" by Fudge and "Death and the Afterlife" by Robert Morey. BOTH very good authors on this subject. Plus parts of the Talmud, early church fathers like Polycarp (writings nearly contemporary with the new testament) and other intertestamental sources. The results can be found at:

http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/bible/hell-traditionalist-vs.-conditionalist-views.html

This alone convinced me that:

1. The Bible was not inerrant and I would never believe in a god that would torture people -that is SICK!

2. That the early Christians believed in hell was easier to prove than the deity of Christ and many other doctrines - clear as a bell

Along with this and other key teachings like the nature of Christ, the Witnesses resemble nothing like the early Christians in their doctrines at all.

Well, maybe neutrality to some extent.

That's about it.

Rutherford was really an anti-Christian, an apostate, who colored the Bible with different crayons.

Randy

BTW both Fudge and Morey liked it and gave me permission to publish the book, which would technically be violating both their copyrights as I quote major sections from their work side by side.

As with Christians today, there were differences in interpretation of the details of hell but ALL believed it was a horrible torment worse than anything man could do to another. Most of the differences between the schools of Shammai and Hillel centered around how long it would last; NOT that it was symbolic or some vague analogy. Jesus sided with the harsher interpretation - thus the Rich Man and Lazarus; not uncommon in the Talmud at all. Plus he used it as a THREAT to the Judaizers!

Of course they weren't alone... belief in a hell like that was common among several religions back then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit