Evidence! How did you come to know reality?

by zannahdoll 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

"You don't feel the earth spinning but it is."

Reminded me of a song...

Day after day,
    Alone on a hill,
    The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still
    But nobody wants to know him,
    They can see that he's just a fool,
    And he never gives an answer,

But the fool on the hill,
    Sees the sun going down,
    And the eyes in his head,
    See the world spinning 'round.

Well on the way,
    Head in a cloud,
    The man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud
    But nobody ever hears him,
    or the sound he appears to make,
    and he never seems to notice,

Sees the sun going down,

And nobody seems to like him,
    they can tell what he wants to do,
    and he never shows his feelings,

Sees the sun going down,

Ooh, ooh,
    Round and round and round.

And he never listens to them,
    He knows that they're the fools
    They don't like him,

The fool on the hill
    Sees the sun going down,

Ooh,
    Round and round and round

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Hey Dave, the other day I was sure the room was spinning.

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

notverylikely:

It's only funny if you can show where I misquoted you or took something out of context.

As far as misrepresenting what I say, for one thing: you said I only cut and paste without making an argument. I made an argument about evidence and the problems with evidence, then later I cut and paste references as to what wiki said about it. I talked to alice.in.wonderland on objectivism and then cited my findings with a cut and paste. Lastly I cut and paste a definition to cyberjesus because he was saying something to the effect of trust and faith were different things

I never said you HAD read any literature by the WT. Attempting to discredit my point by refuting something I never claimed is clever, but futile. I did in fact claimed you sounded sounded like them by using part of a sentence out of context and claiming it meant something it didn't. That's not presumptuous at all, it's demonstrable.

To specify WT literature it is implied or inferred: saying I sound like them is saying I am like them (having read the literature, making their arguments).

Other then a few things you make good points... and now I feel I'm following you a bit better.

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

notverylikely: you are a grand debater, I'll tip my hat to you. You were right about my understanding of falsifiability.

Yes, reality isn't limited to what we know, but what we know of reality is limited. We agree on this. Here we still do not agree: I still believe, hold firm, that we know reality through leaps of faith.

I said before: I sense God. Billions of other people do too. The details may be blurred due to perception.

You said: "More people sense a different God than the Judeo Christian god. Is it just yours that is right? Perception isn't always right. You don't feel the earth spinning but it is. "

Many people think it is the same God, only different perspectives of the same entity. That is how I feel. So the question you really should ask, in my opinion, is not "Is it just your [God] that is right?" but instead "Is it just your perception that is right?"

Concerning reality and perception regarding God:

- I asked an atheist friend what he did believe or think of the world. He said that we are the same cells as billions of years ago and that when we die our cells will still be there... sort of a Lion King philosophy of being a part of the circle of life. He continued to say that we are all connected and in all we are one organism. I agree with my atheist friend, only I call that one organism God. To me this sounds similar the christian theology of all people being One Body, Many Parts.
    - Reading a little bit on Hinduism there are chief god(s) and many, many lesser gods... reminds me of Catholicism's one god, many saints.
    - Reading Greek Mythology with Zeus (similar to Jesus) and his thunder reminds me of the Jewish Torah's God in the clouds with His thunder.
    - Many old religions all have a flood story. Check it out for yourself: The Flood Myth
    - All the largest and oldest religions generally teach the same values concerning peace and love. I listened to the Dali Lama speak at UCLA and I've heard Pope John Paul II speak in Rome: generally it was the same message.

When i go to the kitchen I have faith that it is there just like it was yesterday or five minutes ago, but the first time I ever went into the kitchen i wasn't taking a leap of faith, i look around until I found it, I looked for a room that matched the criteria that a kitchen has, a stove, microwave, sink, refrigerator. I don't just have faith that the room with the toilet is the kitchen because it doesn't pass the test for "what is a kitchen". You know reality through observation, tests and critera whether you are in a lab or have to go to the bathroom or get a beer.

It makes me believe it is all the same stuff, only different perspectives. We all know what a kitchen and a bathroom are, when we go to someone else's house we generally understand what these realities are (unless someone has a total different lifestyle and their bathroom is in the kitchen ). We know where to get a beer and where to take a dump, but we can have very different opinions on the cleanliness of these places, how they are designed, what is attractive, comfortable, practical. Memories in these places can be very different, some may not like bathrooms because they remind them of bad smells or throwing up, others may see them as a place of relief, some both. Some people may not have a bathroom and prefer an outhouse or they may be homeless so they have no bathroom or kitchen.

We all know what a god is, we understand the concept of a higher being and even in other religions we get that they have similar concepts. People who call themselves an atheist also know the concept of what a god is. To define atheist you must know what a theist is. Most nouns are defined by what they are, to define them by what they are not would be a ridiculously long list. To define "atheist" you can only define it by what it is not, which presupposes knowledge of what it is not. So we all know the concept of God: our perceptions of what God is and if God exists are different. Interesting how much time we spend talking about God...

Thus said, it is my understanding that yes: God exists, is constant, a reality if you have faith in God or not; it is religion and lifestyle that differ. Religion, for me, has always been a form of discipline, a source of joy and a place for a family community.

I said: "and, in reality, due to our different perspectives: none of us may know for certain what is reality except on faith."

You said:

Only if you choose to limit your perpspective to what your own five senses can immediately detect. For instance, I have personally never tested that gravitional acceleration at sea level on earth is 32 feet per second squared, but so many other people have and it's so well documented and it works so well for so many calculations I have faith in it. I also have never seen old faithful but I have seen videos, documentaries, talked to people that have seen it. In other words, there is ample verfiable evidence.

This goes to show the point I was making in the very beginning. We believe something is true/We know reality based on either our senses or based on what other people tell us. AND other people get their information from their senses. Anything we do not experience ourselves we are trusting another persons' experience. There are lots of videos, documentaries, people who have seen it when it comes to miracles and supernatural things as well. I've talked to people who have seen supernatural things.

I agree that reality doesn't change, however I stand firm that we do not know for certain what is reality except based on faith.

Sometimes we get false information from scientists, they make corrections to their works all the time, but most of the time scientists give us good information. Sometimes we also get false information from mystics and spiritual leaders, such as folklore/urban legend, superstition, con artists and power mongers, however, not always. There are miracles/supernatural events that have been well documented, many observers, etc... some repeated... favorites of mine, being a Catholic, are the Marian Apparitions.

Speaking about what you know even though you don't experience it first hand reminds me of an Emily Dickinson poem:

I never saw a moor,
    I never saw the sea;
    Yet know I how the heather looks,
    And what a wave must be.

I never spoke with God,
    Nor visited in heaven;
    Yet certain am I of the spot
    As if the chart were given.

• elderelite
    elderelite

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain

Reality is then indeed, very subjective

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

As far as misrepresenting what I say, for one thing: you said I only cut and paste without making an argument.

Again, NOT what I said. What I said was "Cutting and pasting isn't making an argument. It's dumping a cut and paste. I know that when people ask questions and make you prove your assertions it can seem contrary, but really it's the only way to prove your ideas."

Not sure what point you are trying to make. It's clear you see you cut off part a sentence and took a quote out of context to make it seem like I was arguing something I wasn't. Move on. My point was that you dumped a lot of cuts and pastes into the thread. What I said about that was an opinion. You dishonestly misrepresented something I said.

To specify WT literature it is implied or inferred: saying I sound like them is saying I am like them (having read the literature, making their arguments).

I was very specific in that your dishonesgt quote mining as a form of debate sounded like them. Any suggestion of more is something you are promoting, not me.

I still believe, hold firm, that we know reality through leaps of faith.

OK. Some people believe that, others do not. One side has fact, math, science that is proven to work. The other side has a huge differing amount of opinions that are completely unverifiable.

Many people think it is the same God, only different perspectives of the same entity. That is how I feel. So the question you really should ask, in my opinion, is not "Is it just your [God] that is right?" but instead "Is it just your perception that is right?"

Most that believe in a higher power do not. WRT to "Is it just your perception that is right"....define a "right" perception so that we can discuss this.

I asked an atheist friend what he did believe or think of the world.

I don't care what he thinks. I am not debating him :)

Reading a little bit on Hinduism there are chief god(s) and many, many lesser gods... reminds me of Catholicism's one god, many saints.

OK. I am honestly not sure if you are making a point there. Hinduism and Catholiscm are not related.

- Many old religions all have a flood story. Check it out for yourself: The Flood Myth

I knew that. I am not sure what the point is except people usually settled near rivers, lakes, seas and oceans and those things often flood.

- All the largest and oldest religions generally teach the same values concerning peace and love. I listened to the Dali Lama speak at UCLA and I've heard Pope John Paul II speak in Rome: generally it was the same message.

Not sure what the point of that is either. The message was usually a mixture of internal love for your fellow man, but death and destruction for those that weren't, which was usually people who weren't in the religion. Today that's not really an acceptable message so it's just the peace and love parts, but historically they didn't generally teach to love everyone.

We know where to get a beer and where to take a dump, but we can have very different opinions on the cleanliness of these places, how they are designed, what is attractive, comfortable, practical.

Which has zero bearing on the reality of what those rooms are.

Some people may not have a bathroom and prefer an outhouse or they may be homeless so they have no bathroom or kitchen.

Which has zero bearing on the argument I was making.

To define "atheist" you can only define it by what it is not, which presupposes knowledge of what it is not. So we all know the concept of God: our perceptions of what God is and if God exists are different. Interesting how much time we spend talking about God...

That's not uncommon. The word "retrograde" is defined by what it it isn't as well. To define something as "down" is irrelevant unless you first know what "up" is. I know, it IS crazy how much time some people like to spend talking about silent, invisible person.

Thus said, it is my understanding that yes: God exists, is constant, a reality if you have faith in God or not; it is religion and lifestyle that differ. Religion, for me, has always been a form of discipline, a source of joy and a place for a family community.

I'm totally cool with that if it works for you.

This goes to show the point I was making in the very beginning. We believe something is true/We know reality based on either our senses or based on what other people tell us.

And that's the part where you are wrong. We can find out things beyond our senses using tools and science, prove them true and test the validity of things other people say. It's not blind faith as you are suggesting. It's belief after evidence and verification. Just because I choose to beleive what someone says does not make it a blind faith like beleiving in god.

Anything we do not experience ourselves we are trusting another persons' experience.

Completely untrue.

There are lots of videos, documentaries, people who have seen it when it comes to miracles and supernatural things as well. I've talked to people who have seen supernatural things.

And not one of those things is testable, repeatable or proveable.

I agree that reality doesn't change, however I stand firm that we do not know for certain what is reality except based on faith.

Well, history proves you wrong. See Einstein and Gallileo for excellent reference points.

There are miracles/supernatural events that have been well documented, many observers, etc... some repeated... favorites of mine, being a Catholic, are the Marian Apparitions.

Are they testable, repeatable? Can you show me the documentation to test their validity?

• Terry
    Terry

You come to know reality with your 5 senses.

Your mind sets us a workshop.

You separate the sensory bite into categories of your own making: concepts.

Differentiate, integrate=form conclusions.

Now, at this point, we separate the stupid people from the intelligent ones.

Smart people take a skeptical view of their conclusions and constantly put those conclusions to the test.

Stupid people settle back and defend their conclusions no matter what counter-proof is offered.

Welcome to JW-net!

The joy is from separating out the two groups.

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

notverylikely:

you quote me out of context when I say that I agree reality doesn't change, or maybe I wasn't clear in what I was saying. What I meant was that reality doesn't change due to perception. I thought you understood that I thought this by now. We agree, reality changes, and we also agree: what you or I think of reality (our perceptions) doesn't change the fact that you wear a pink shirt (pink is my favorite color by the way) ;) Let's not continue to debate what we agree and have common ground on. We are going in circles.

What we disagree about is that I think only way to come to know reality is through our perceptions. I hold that it is only by our perceptions, which we must take a leap of faith because while most of the time they are very reliable (we cannot function without them), from time to time they fail us.

I said: "This goes to show the point I was making in the very beginning. We believe something is true/We know reality based on either our senses or based on what other people tell us."

You responded:

And that's the part where you are wrong. We can find out things beyond our senses using tools and science, prove them true and test the validity of things other people say. It's not blind faith as you are suggesting. It's belief after evidence and verification. Just because I choose to beleive what someone says does not make it a blind faith like beleiving in god.

How do we use the tools and how do we use science? In order to make use of tools don't we use our senses? I don't see how you proved what I said wrong: we know something based on our senses and based on what others tell us.

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

notverylikely:

On Testable and Repeatable, and a little on Math and Science:

Here is a true life story of my own thats causes are untestable, it is not repeated however it remains a factual reality:

I had surgery for a fluke problem in my intestine last March. What happened wasn't due to an unhealthy lifestyle, I maintain a healthy weight (could loose a couple pounds but I'm thin), I don't smoke/drink heavily, and at the time I hadn't had a drink in a couple months. There is not a family history of intestinal problems. I hadn't been working out heavily or doing any heavy lifting. I have never had surgery before (except wisdom teeth being pulled out) so it wasn't due to a complication of a prior problem. What happened was a small tear formed by my colon and my intestine (that moves and flows) was caught and stuck in this new little hole formed by the tear. The hole, being small, then worked as a clamp on my intestine. No food would pass through. I was very, very sick. It was miserable and very painful. Surgery fixed it, enlarging the hole in order to free my intestine of its death clamp. The doctors had NO IDEA how the tear came about.

This event in my life is a one time occurrence. There is no evidence as to how it came about after tests. It is not repeatable. It is a fact and it is reality.

I said: "There are miracles/supernatural events that have been well documented, many observers, etc... some repeated... favorites of mine, being a Catholic, are the Marian Apparitions. "

You responded:

Are they testable, repeatable? Can you show me the documentation to test their validity?

I cannot say all the Marian Apparitions are repeatable, although some are. Yes! I can show you documentation of their validity: sometimes a few witnesses, sometimes thousands: here is a quick wiki link. Currently there are apparitions in Medjugorje, not yet confirmed by the Catholic Church, however countless people will attest to these occurrences. http://www.medjugorje.org/

However, due to your perceptions and who you trust as experts you would not accept the documentation. I'm making an assumption now, however, I bet that the experts you trust in any field, the moment they start speaking of something supernatural you would no longer consider them a valid expert.

Repetition

The reason I brought up Pavlov's Dog previously (which is something else either I didn't explain clearly or you took me out of context) is that repetition does not always prove cause and effect. Pavlov would ring a bell and it did not effect his dog. Later he always rang the bell when feeding his dog. Then when he would ring the bell the dog would salivate. Did ringing a bell cause the dog to salivate? Well, in a sense, yes, but really it is that now the dog associates the sound of a ringing bell with food. Pavlov changed the dog's perception of a bell ringing, and in a sense, changed the dog's reality. Before the dog would hear a bell and nothing, now the dog hears the bell and he salivates. Both facts, reality changed. It wasn't that it was something naturally repeatable, it was repetition that forced a change in the nature of the dog.

Similarly not all correlations prove something. Repeatable evidence depends on correlations. Some correlations are good and necessary and some are silly slippery slopes. An example: smoking causing lung cancer = good correlation. Ice Cream causes drowning = bad correlation, however statistically when it is hot outside more there is a higher demand for ice cream, more ice cream is produced and consumed. Also when it is hot outside more people go swimming, and due to a greater amount of swimmers the statistics of drowning goes up as well. Just because something is repeated or happens more then one occasion does not mean it is factual evidence.

Math and Science

Math and Science are not the only way we get our information on reality. Why I had a fluke intestinal problem is not explained by these things, and it doesn't take away the reality of it. Check out what Albert says:

Albert Einstein stated that "as far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics Einstein, p. 28. The quote is Einstein's answer to the question: "how can it be that mathematics, being after all a product of human thought which is independent of experience, is so admirably appropriate to the objects of reality?" He, too, is concerned with The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences.

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

notverylikely:

Hinduism and Catholiscm are not related.

I agree, they are not. All the more fascinating to me how they are similar. My point was that, in my thinking, they are different perceptions of the same reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit