Evidence! How did you come to know reality?

by zannahdoll 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

notverylikely

Anything can be a buzz word. It is a word that is popular to say and I hear it often with atheists. Sometimes I think you just like to be contrary. You say:

See, the difference is that despite leaps of faith, there is demonstrable and repeatable evidence that can be demonstrated to others.

So repetition makes it so? Is Pavlov's dog then really caused by a bell ringing? At one time in mankind's history it was logical, and repeatedly tested and demonstrated that the earth is flat. Scientists accepted this at one time. It is a reasonable conclusion to come to. Later more information was present and, in light of new information, we realize that no, the earth is not flat at all. It is now ridiculous to think so. My point is that we have limits to our knowledge and thus: we have to take a leap of faith for everything: nothing is really certain.

My cut and pastes are to address definitions that were debatable; cyberjesus was saying that trust was not the same as faith and alice.in.wonderland was speaking of objectivity and it's absolutes but then I look it up and it speaks of Ayn Rand and how she invented the concept so that we could bring metaphysical concepts into reality using such mediums as art. Again: I think you like to be contrary. Nice sarcasm about my cut and pastes.

Einstein invented an entire new branch of physics that basically said "everything you know is wrong".

Exactly what I'm getting at: reality is limited to what we know, because we learn more and realize that what we knew in the first place is wrong. Yet we still continue to trust our knowledge in order to function.

Interesting, notverylikely, that you say in a couple places in this thread that "reality does not mean constant" but then you say in this same thread that reality is "demonstrable and repeatable evidence that can be demonstrated to others". Something repeatable to me is a constant. I think I'm missing something here, I'm not fully getting your point of view because I see this as you contradicting yourself. What IS your definition of reality? Maybe answer my original question: how did you come to know reality?

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

agonus, PSacramento and tec great points

To back up agonus in his line of thinking (at least where I see it going) and PSacramento line of thinking: reality is not the same for any two people. We each hold a different point of view both literally and figuratively. A drug that may save my life in the hospital may not save you. A drug that works for one person and not another person is a subjective reality.

As tec was getting at, at least how I see it, is that there is something bigger then us. Humanity believes in a God (very small percentage of atheists) different cultures across the globe seek a higher being. I was speaking to an atheist friend the other day and he holds firm that he does not believe in God, however he does have a sort of Lion King philosophy: that our cells never disappear, that we are all a part of the cycle of life and in all we are one large organism. One large organism: that reminds me of the Christian teaching that we all are One Body and Many Parts. To each their own: different perceptions - reality is still there. I sense God. Billions of other people do too. The details may be blurred due to perception.

agonus

I love the Ramones too. I wanna be sedated ;)

Also: love the colorblind picture... good points :)

tec

you have my prayers have a wonderful trip!

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

wobble

I didn't have time to answer NVL last time I came on to post. Many, many people would disagree with you that there is not evidence for God. In a few threads I've posted on here before I explain what I feel is evidence. Such as in this thread: The evidence AGAINST evolution and in a thread I started myself: Oh what to believe. Also, I admit: it takes a leap of faith to believe in God. I'm not saying that faith isn't required. I am just showing that all people, even the atheist, has a sense of faith in something. They too, like the theist, believe things that they do not know for sure and/or do not know for themselves. A great deal of what all people say they know is based on what someone else has told us.

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

PrimateDave

How did I misrepresent my opponents view? Please clarify... How is Epistemology taking away from what I'm saying?

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

Terry

If you drive with your eyes closed you can't crash into anything because it doesn't exist until you open your eyes......that sort of thinking.

I have an active imagination. I've been in a couple car accidents. Sometimes when I am driving I could swear a car is facing me with it's headlights and it is heading straight for me. I blink and the in front of me the cars are going in the same direction I am, really I only see their tail lights and I'm safe. I do believe in a reality, I personally just feel that God is a part of that reality. Choose you not to believe in God doesn't stop God from existing (same as closing your eyes when you drive...)

My point with this is how do you know reality Terry? I trust my senses and I trust people who give me information. It is hard because sometimes your senses do fail you. Sometimes people fail you. Over all I still trust them. You still trust them as well, as you pointed out: you listed some amazing accomplishments we have as humankind based on how able the mind is.

It is always the Mystic who tries to convince us how UNdefined the human mind "really" is and how feeble and unprovable our intelligence and how mystical and supernatural explanations are just as worthwhile as the word of SCIENCE.

Not exactly Terry. The Mystic is saying if we trust our strong and provable intelligence in the word of science, we should also trust our intelligence in the supernatural. Why limit ourselves?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Anything can be a buzz word. It is a word that is popular to say and I hear it often with atheists. Sometimes I think you just like to be contrary.

I just like for people to back up what they say.

So repetition makes it so? So repetition makes it so? Is Pavlov's dog then really caused by a bell ringing?

That makes what so? I am not sure what you mean by "it". Pavlov's dog was caused by two dogs mating. Its response to be was a leqrned behavior that a bell ringing meant food based on his experience. I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

At one time in mankind's history it was logical, and repeatedly tested and demonstrated that the earth is flat. Scientists accepted this at one time.

Oh? Then I am sure you can cite documentation and tests that scientists performed with repeatable results that proved the earth was flat. Otherwise, I'll have to call BS on this one, since, you know, around 330 BC Aristotle use geometry (you know, science and math) to prove that it wasn't Many idiot disputed this for centures based on "I don't see no round earth so it's gots to be flat!" reasoning, but in the end, science won.

My point is that we have limits to our knowledge and thus: we have to take a leap of faith for everything: nothing is really certain.

Huh? Some things are very certain. You just said it was ridiculous to think the earth might be flat. When repeatable tests show a conclusion to be true, it's pretty certain. Your own flat earth argument just proved what you are arguing against.

Again: I think you like to be contrary. Nice sarcasm about my cut and pastes.

Cutting and pasting isn't making an argument. It's dumping a cut and paste. I know that when people ask questions and make you prove your assertions it can seem contrary, but really it's the only way to prove your ideas.

Exactly what I'm getting at: reality is limited to what we know, because we learn more and realize that what we knew in the first place is wrong. Yet we still continue to trust our knowledge in order to function.

Sigh....Let's try this again. Reality is NOT limited to what we know. Your second sentence proves that. It is REALTIY that confirms whether or not what we "know" is right. For instance, Newton came up with a formula that was the basis for gravitational math, based on observations on Earth. That math worked pretty well on Earth and is still used for basic terrestrial physics. People thought they had it figured out.

Then, something happened. Reality broke in on what we "knew". It was noticed that Mercury behave as expected based on the current understanding of gravity. Clearly something was going on that we didn't understand. For years scientists struggled with this until Einstein came along with an entire new branch of physics and math that predicted what Mercury was doing.

Reality wasn't limited to what we knew. What we knew was limited to what we could observed. Mercury's orbit, reality, always was what it was. More observations and new knowledge about reality was what changed, NOT reality.

Interesting, notverylikely, that you say in a couple places in this thread that "reality does not mean constant" but then you say in this same thread that reality is "demonstrable and repeatable evidence that can be demonstrated to others".

Well, let's look at what I really said..."See, the difference is that despite leaps of faith, there is demonstrable and repeatable evidence that can be demonstrated to others." I was specifically addressing leaps of faith, such as, based on prior personal and shared experience, I am taking a leap of faith and believe that the sun will rise tomorrow. I wasn't talking about reality, but leaps of faith.

Please try to be honest when quoting. Quote minining and selective quoting is dishonest and, frankly, makes you look a bit like the WT writers.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

reality is not the same for any two people.

Personaly circumstances is not the same as reality.BOth personal experiences in fact, part of the sum of reality.

We each hold a different point of view both literally and figuratively.

Personal opinion does not alter reality. In fact, people holding different points of views is part of the sum of reality.

A drug that works for one person and not another person is a subjective reality.

Absolutely it's not. That's personal circumstances, but the science and reasons why it works or doesn't are NOT subjective.

I am just showing that all people, even the atheist, has a sense of faith in something.

And I did not deny that. I am just saying that leaps of faith based on falsifiability, tests repeatable proofs are different from faith in any particular god.

• zannahdoll
    zannahdoll

notverylikely: the cut and paste thing was to cite a point/argument I already made in my own words with alice or to clarify a definition with cyber * sigh * you are all over the place.

Please try to be honest when quoting. Quote minining and selective quoting is dishonest and, frankly, makes you look a bit like the WT writers.

That you said this is hilarious considering how you quote me about what I said concerning cutting and pasting and how you quote me on other things. Further it's funny because I've never read any literature by WT writers. You are presumptuous...

A leap of faith is trusting something... (which you say you don't deny; am I being honest here?) Trust means you don't know for yourself, you're expecting/hoping/believing something... so in not knowing, in having trust or a leap of faith, that would mean you do not know if it is true or false. To basically say you don't make leaps of faith on falsifiability (paraphrasing, not trying to be dishonest, this is how I understand what you are saying) would take away the need for faith: you would * know * it is not false, you would not need trust or faith because you would know. You take a leap of faith when you don't know if it is true or false. If you know it is false you are not taking the leap. So: you contradict yourself.

You agree that personal circumstances are different, perspective is different, however: that reality isn't a constant. Here you say that reality is a not a constant. Then you say about leaps of faith:

Well, let's look at what I really said..."See, the difference is that despite leaps of faith, there is demonstrable and repeatable evidence that can be demonstrated to others." I was specifically addressing leaps of faith, such as, based on prior personal and shared experience, I am taking a leap of faith and believe that the sun will rise tomorrow. I wasn't talking about reality, but leaps of faith.

Are you saying: Leaps of faith are a constant? When specifically addressing leaps of faith you say that there is demonstrable and repeatable evidence. Is my understanding of what you said correct? What I think and ask: Don't things change concerning faith? You can have faith in new things, loose faith in others. Not necessarily a constant. Repeatable evidence may vary at a given point and time...

I'm trying to understand your meaning here: as I see it you're saying: reality needs no leap of faith. To me this means that you are saying that reality is there if you have faith in it or not. I agree that reality is there regardless of if you have faith in it. However how do you come to know reality? All I'm saying is that to know reality you make leaps of faith, and, in reality, due to our different perspectives: none of us may know for certain what is reality except on faith. And we all have different perspectives of the same reality. So whose is correct? What is correct reality? How do you know what is fact? How do you know it is evidence?

Really notverylikely, I am not following you. And I don't think you follow what I'm saying either.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

That you said this is hilarious considering how you quote me about what I said concerning cutting and pasting and how you quote me on other things. Further it's funny because I've never read any literature by WT writers. You are presumptuous...

It's only funny if you can show where I misquoted you or took something out of context. I never said you HAD read any literature by the WT. Attempting to discredit my point by refuting something I never claimed is clever, but futile. I did in fact claimed you sounded sounded like them by using part of a sentence out of context and claiming it meant something it didn't. That's not presumptuous at all, it's demonstrable.

In any event, when you quote me in the future, please be sure to include the entire quote and context.

A leap of faith is trusting something... (which you say you don't deny; am I being honest here?)

You are.

Trust means you don't know for yourself, you're expecting/hoping/believing something... so in not knowing, in having trust or a leap of faith, that would mean you do not know if it is true or false.

True. I don't know if the sun will rise tomorrow but based on millions of years of evidence I can trust that it will and make plans for tomorrow. I can throw a ball to my son trusting that gravity will work the same way on earth it did two minutes ago. It doesn't mean blindly not knowing, you can have confidence, faith, if you prefer that word, based on evidence, proof and experience.

To basically say you don't make leaps of faith on falsifiability (paraphrasing, not trying to be dishonest, this is how I understand what you are saying) would take away the need for faith: you would * know * it is not false, you would not need trust or faith because you would know. You take a leap of faith when you don't know if it is true or false. If you know it is false you are not taking the leap. So: you contradict yourself.

Ah, no, I do not contradict myself because you do not under falsifiability. Falsifiability in science means that in order to prove something is true, there also have to be conditions under which it will NOT be true. It's a core component of testing a hypothesis, developing software, etc. A test that always proves "true" is not a reliable test. For instance, you can't scientifically prove "No human can live forever" because you would have to observe a human living for all time. You CAN test "all humans live forever". See this wiki link

Are you saying: Leaps of faith are a constant?

No.

When specifically addressing leaps of faith you say that there is demonstrable and repeatable evidence.

Yes, see my example about the sun and gravity.

What I think and ask: Don't things change concerning faith?

Sure they can. If the reality underlying reality for the basis for the faith changes, then the faith should change. For instance, Old Faithful, the geyser, erupts because of a certain set of conditions, so reliable you can set your watch by it almost. However, geology changes and eventually the tectonic plate will move away from the magma pocket that fuels it and it will erupt less and less relaibly and then not at all.

That does't mean that it will unwise to beleive (have faith) it would erupt reliably when conditions were right for it. Reality will have changed.

You can have faith in new things, loose faith in others. Not necessarily a constant. Repeatable evidence may vary at a given point and time...

I agree, see my example above. Of course, I wasn't suggesting faith was a constant. With regard to repeatable evidence changing, the key is understanding WHY the evidence changed, such as with Old Faithful.

To me this means that you are saying that reality is there if you have faith in it or not.

Absolutely. You could completely not beleive I am wearing a pink shirt right now, but that in no way changes the fact that I am.

All I'm saying is that to know reality you make leaps of faith

Why? In what way? To live your life you make leaps of faith that reality is the same as it was yesterday or that you know what it different about it based on past experience. When i go to the kitchen I have faith that it is there just like it was yesterday or five minutes ago, but the first time I ever went into the kitchen i wasn't taking a leap of faith, i look around until I found it, I looked for a room that matched the criteria that a kitchen has, a stove, microwave, sink, refrigerator. I don't just have faith that the room with the toilet is the kitchen because it doesn't pass the test for "what is a kitchen". You know reality through observation, tests and critera whether you are in a lab or have to go to the bathroom or get a beer.

and, in reality, due to our different perspectives: none of us may know for certain what is reality except on faith.

Only if you choose to limit your perpspective to what your own five senses can immediately detect. For instance, I have personally never tested that gravitional acceleration at sea level on earth is 32 feet per second squared, but so many other people have and it's so well documented and it works so well for so many calculations I have faith in it. I also have never seen old faithful but I have seen videos, documentaries, talked to people that have seen it. In other words, there is ample verfiable evidence.

And we all have different perspectives of the same reality. So whose is correct? What is correct reality? How do you know what is fact? How do you know it is evidence?

They all are. Just because you can't see my shirt doesn't make it less real.

Really notverylikely, I am not following you. And I don't think you follow what I'm saying either.

I'm following you just fine, thanks.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I sense God. Billions of other people do too. The details may be blurred due to perception.

More people sense a different God than the Judeo Christian god. Is it just yours that is right? Perception isn't always right. You don't feel the earth spinning but it is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit