To new Christians on JWN

by brotherdan 284 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover
    now I can see that you're pitting human standards against God's, so there's no reason to continue this discussion.

And such is the cop-out of the bible believers... Claim that God's standards are different and no one can understand, just accept.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"This has always been my hugest issue with typical Judeo-Christian thought - "it's our way or no way".

John 14:6

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

What else is there to say.

Peace

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I am a Christian, but I am a christian that does NOT view the bible as innerrant nor view it as the Word of God, I believe in evolution and believe it to be one of God's many, many tools.

I believe that ALL are God's children and all have hope of salvation, even atheists :)

I believe that God speaks to us through Jesus and that the path to Jesus is one that everyone travles in a different way and at times, with different beliefs, but that eventually, all roads lead to Jesus.

I believe in science and that science and faith can co-exist quite happily and I believe that with Love in our hearts, all can be made right.

I view many things in the bible as inspired, many as ancient man's views, some as the attempts of man to justify things by saying it is God's will or command and I believe that we can tell the difference when we read the Bible with Love and the HS in our hearts.

I believe that my Lord and our Beloved Father are Love and of love, I believe this:

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Oh, now I can see that you're pitting human standards against God's, so there's no reason to continue this discussion.

What? What are god's standards that I misrepresented there. I am asking.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

And such is the cop-out of the bible believers... Claim that God's standards are different and no one can understand, just accept.

We have GOT to go grab a beer sometime

• garyneal
    garyneal

Goodness, I can see this thread getting big fast. I wanted to read all comments first before I post but it is growing too fast.

I will comment later...

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It does all come down to an issue of faith. And to understand the Bible and to understand God's Word a person cannot be obsessed with their own human reasonings on the subject. Like I said before, I think this is on purpose, on God's part. He gave us the revelation about himself and we are to take it or leave it.

What so many people have done today is to pluck their own spiritual eyes out. Children have no problem believing in God. It's the most natural thing in the world to them. But then the world comes in and tries to force the belief in God out of them. It reminds me of what Jesus said at Mat 11:25. He said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children." He went further in Mat 18:3,4 and said "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

I feel like those that do not put their faith in God are like those spoken of in John 12:40: He has blinded their eyes and deadened their hearts so they can neither see with their eyes, nor understand with their hearts.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The ones that I really worry for are those that, in their own humanistic reasoning, choose which parts of the Bible to believe and which parts to leave. The Bible is an all or nothing book. Someone asked if those that put together the canon of scritpure were inspired. Yes, I think they were. I think God is in control of His own words. Has he let error to creep in? I think maybe He has and He did this so that for someone to find Him they most be honest hearted and search for Him.

• undercover
  • brotherdan
    brotherdan

See undercover, you prove my point right there. You try and insult and make fun of anyone with a different opinion than yourself. Hence, the whole reason for this post. You don't just post your ideas, you bring it around to insults. I deduce that it is because atheists are sad and angry people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit