To new Christians on JWN

by brotherdan 284 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

One problem that occurs with many if not most people is they try to apply their OWN sense of justice, love, etc... to things God does. They think, "That doesn't seem fair" and then get angry with God because it doesn't match their own sense of fairness. Or they have a problem with God being eternal while they will say, "Maybe the universe is eternal".

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Well then, NVL, I will try to show you.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

One problem that occurs with many if not most people is they try to apply their OWN sense of justice, love, etc... to things God does

So killing babies is ok?

Or they have a problem with God being eternal while they will say, "Maybe the universe is eternal".

I don't have a problem with it, but no one seems to be able to define it. If you can't define it, it is functionally meaningless.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Give me some time to put together a defense and I'll start a new thread about the Bible and ancient prophecy.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Genesis chapter 6:5 -7 God saw that human evil was out of control. People thought evil, imagined evil—evil, evil, evil from morning to night. God was sorry that he had made the human race in the first place; it broke his heart. God said, "I'll get rid of my ruined creation, make a clean sweep: people, animals, snakes and bugs, birds—the works. I'm sorry I made them."

8 But Noah was different. God liked what he saw in Noah. MSG

I'm not blaming man - God did. It's obvious from His assessment of Noah that He didn't make a mistake in creating the human race.

Being false to or contradicting Himself would definitely be unrighteous on God's part. Otherwise, He couldn't meet His own standards.

I still maintain that unrighteous means thoughts or acts that don't meet God's standards; if you do something wrong while being truthful, you negate your truthfulness.

Syl

• cantleave
    cantleave

Prophecy = retrospective scripting of "future" events to fool the gullible.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I'm not blaming man - God did. It's obvious from His assessment of Noah that He didn't make a mistake in creating the human race.

That wasn't the scripture I was referring to.

Being false to or contradicting Himself would definitely be unrighteous on God's part. Otherwise, He couldn't meet His own standards.

Changing your mind isn't being false. It just means you made a mistake. It's actually being true to yourself.

I still maintain that unrighteous means thoughts or acts that don't meet God's standards; if you do something wrong while being truthful, you negate your truthfulness.

Imagine a scenario...Hitler says "I am going to kill as many Jews as I can." Hitler then kills as many Jews as he can. He both told the truth and did a horrible thing. One in no way negates the other. You can do the right thing by telling a lie.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

MadSweeny, I totally get what you are saying. But here's my problem. If the Bible claims to come from God and it was not from God, I would want to have nothing to do with it. It would all be a lie. The only reason we know about the Holy Spirit is because of the Bible. The only reason we know so much about God is because of what the Bible says. Without it we are no better off than the countless philosophers that have lived and come up with their own unsupported ideas. That's why the Bible constantly tells us not to rely on our own knowledge and to not put our faith in any man.

Why do you assume they are unsupported? Because you don't believe the form of support they espouse is divine. Apparently a book is only from God if it says so itself. Don't you see how weak that is? By its fruits you shall recognize it. The question should be,"What does the book, the philosophy, the lifestyle result in?" and not, "What sort of authoritative source does this book, philosophy, or lifestyle claim for itself."

Also, you seem to forget that "the" Bible is not "A" book. It is a collection of books gathered by Roman politicians. Was The Holy Spirit directing Constantine and Eusebius? When you take Paul's "All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial. . . " as literally applying to the book that was put together hundreds of years later, you make a mistake to ignore the simple fact that the scriptures that are inspired of God shall be known NOT by what other words they are bound and published in a book with, but by the fruits they produce.

"All scripture is inspired of God..." begs the question: "What is scripture?"

• undercover
    undercover
    "All scripture is inspired of God..." begs the question: "What is scripture?"

and who gets to decide what is or what ain't "scripture"?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Imagine a scenario...Hitler says "I am going to kill as many Jews as I can." Hitler then kills as many Jews as he can. He both told the truth and did a horrible thing. One in no way negates the other. You can do the right thing by telling a lie.

Oh, now I can see that you're pitting human standards against God's, so there's no reason to continue this discussion.

As WaterSprout would say, Peace and Light.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit