To new Christians on JWN

by brotherdan 284 Replies latest watchtower bible

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Even if I showed you the MANY scriptures that back this claim up, it will mean nothing.

Would you dismiss the Muslim who quotes the Koran? If so, why?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

It was a joke NVL.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

I think the Qu'ran says a lot of good things. So no, I wouldn't immediately dimiss it.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Ok, NVL. The first scripture that comes to mind is when Isaiah described the effects that listening to God's commands brings. Peace, is of course, a synonym for contentment.

Isaiah 48:18 - If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like the river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea."

Phil 4:6-9 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, gresent your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Psalms 14:1 (again) - The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."

Pslams 14:5 - There they are, overwhelmed with dread, for God is present in the company of the righteous.

Psalms 29:11 - The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses *HIS* people with peace.

Col 3:15 - Let the peace of Christs rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

If I was less lazy I could keep going. But knowing your response to these scriptures sort of takes the fun out of it.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

Makes me laugh you keep quoting scriptures to atheists, we don't believe the bible is anything more than a story book, why bother?

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

That's what I said zombie dub, but NVL kept pushing it, and saying that I was avoiding giving scriptures about Godly contentment belonging to Godly people because they didn't exist.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Peace, is of course, a synonym for contentment.

CAN be, not "is of course". Isaiah was speaking to a nation, not a person.

Phil 4:6-9 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, gresent your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Word contentment not used.

Psalms 14:1 (again) - The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."

Says nothing about peace OR contentment.

Pslams 14:5 - There they are, overwhelmed with dread, for God is present in the company of the righteous.

Says God prodiuces dread, not contentment.

Psalms 29:11 - The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses *HIS* people with peace.

Says nothing about contentment.

Col 3:15 - Let the peace of Christs rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.

Says nothing about contentment.

If I was less lazy I could keep going. But knowing your response to these scriptures sort of takes the fun out of it.

My response? You were the one that said the scripture showed true contentment came from got and you have yet to show me a single scripture with that word.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

That's what I said zombie dub, but NVL kept pushing it, and saying that I was avoiding giving scriptures about Godly contentment belonging to Godly people because they didn't exist.

I am not pushing it, my friend. You said it, not me, I am just asking you to show me one scripture that says what you asserted and you have yet to do so. At best you have produced a possible synonym. A "maybe"...

• tec
    tec

Well... this thread got big fast. I have only one comment to make:

Leo, I absolutely loved what you posted. What was it? Odes of Solomon? Beautiful.

Tammy

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

You, my friend, are impossible to argue with. If you don't have peace, you are not content. I'm not going to argue semantics. And, ps, the ones that have dread in Psalm 14:5 are the ones that do not put their trust in the one true God. This is in opposition to His own people who live in peace. And yes, peace IS contentment. You cannot have peace and NOT be content. You cannot be content and NOT have peace.

If you don't even KNOW what true contentment IS, then how can you argue so strongly about it. It's obvious you don't have contentment if you can't even define it. This back and forth with you, NVL, is getting annoying. It's not an intelligent dialogue. Your arguments that you sling back are laughable. So go ahead and quote that sentence and argue about it. I'm done with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit