Any 'Humanists' here?

by AK - Jeff 45 Replies latest jw friends

• scottmedeiros
    scottmedeiros

Flipper

Your Humanist view iscool. I guess if I were to give mine i'd just cut and paist

I consider myself a secular humanist. How I approach life is really quite simple. I believe in the dignity of mankind and treating others in a humane way . I agree with Burns - freedom of humans is of the utmost importance. Freedom of mind and freedom of movement.

Regarding life, love, & laughter ? Since I don't subscribe to religious beliefs of the hereafter or life after death - I believe in living life to the fullest in the here and now. Showing love to friends , relatives, aquaintances , and just people in general as it causes peaceful relations between people in all walks of life. I'm anti-war , against any barbaric treatment of humans in any shape or form. I try to dwell on the positive in this world as there is enough negative to depress anyone. I feel each of us can make a positive impact for a better world individually in our circle of area while existing in this life. And laugh and smell the roses along the way in this journey called life and help others smile and laugh with you , just my motto.

• wobble
    wobble

I am a fully paid up member of the British Humanist Association and agree with their aims.

I agree with the posters above, there is much positive action we can take to make the world a better place, and smiling and laughing help a lot and cost nothing.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

In my opinion... :-))

I see Humanism as a religion, with man as god and the center of the universe.

In Planet of the Apes it was Apism (or it is Apeism?)

Most higher sentient beings see themselves as the center of the universe; that's a survival technique that obfuscates the reality that they are just another type of evolved creature on the planet. Humanism is no different.

...only they have no need for skydaddies or superdaddies anymore; they have evolved beyond that. Their philosophies have advanced to the point where they have tricked the mind into a state of superiority and immortality; and as long as they keep convincing themselves by ritual (self-hypnosis) they will continue to believe it.

Humanism is the source of man's ego and his domination of the earth. It gives him reason to be rapacious. Self-righteous reasons. All for the good of MAN.

It only lasts until the next big predator comes along.

A Smith and Wesson would be a better religion in the long run.

Varmints who believe in Varmintism as the true religion will come out of the skies and pilllage and destroy Humanism. Or at least reduce it to Rodentism.

Be prepared!

Dogz

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Wow, Randy. I am not sure what to make of your comments.

I see Humanism as a religion, with man as god and the center of the universe.

I don't see it that way at all. I see it as man's final awareness that God has called in sick, and it is up to us to care for ourselves and our planet. That is a far cry from nominating oneself, or mankind in general, as substitutionary for God. I certainly don't view myself as 'center of the universe' in any respect. Far from it. Rather, as Bill Nye stated in his acceptance of the "Humanist of the Year", that we are all but tiny specks on a tiny speck inside a tiny speck of the universe.

If anything, God-believers have done as you state - made themselves muy importante, with God's eye of blessing focused clearly on them individually or collectively. They believe that they can just start a prayer-line and get God to listen to them, as if they indeed were the center of the universe/all important.

Humanism is the source of man's ego and his domination of the earth. It gives him reason to be rapacious. Self-righteous reasons.

O' Contrar! The religious right seems to have most of that cornered already. It does not seem to me that Humanists are interested in 'dominion of the earth' so much as preservers of it, recognizing the dangers of not caring for our home, at the same time not wasting our valuable mental capacities to throw light upon an Absentee Father who hides in the shadows, if he is at all.

The balance of your post makes no sense whatsoever as I read it.

Jeff

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

As far as I can see, we are the most important thing in the Universe. I have yet to see anything else like humans.

I believe there is meaning and purpose to things. I believe the Universe is evolving. Out of all the things we can prove to exist, humans are the highest expression of this evolving Universe.

The Universe has moved from undifferentiated chaos, to a greater and greater order and complexity.

We humans are the highest level of order and complexity anywhere we have looked. And we have looked with all of our power. We will look further, as time goes by.

In us, the Universe has begun to think. It has turned in on itself.

We are muy importante.

BTS

• misocup
    misocup

humanism shmumanism

It's a pirates life for me............ Yaarrrr

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

the simple response is, humanism does not fit in at all with science and evolution and survival of the fittest.

definitely not with the Bible. It's a product more recently of the New Age movement.

Man will be gone someday, and a more intelligent predator will take over. Does that ever fail?

Self-deception, IMHO. :-))

Randy

• belbab
    belbab

I think I am human

But I eat like a pig,

Work like horse

Smell like a polecat

Crow like a rooster

Horny as a goat

Drink like a fish

Sleep like a log

Waddle like a duck

Swear like a trooper

Laugh like a hyeena.

belbab

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I like the Secular Humanists, and I don't think they are so rigid in insisting on some kind of conformity from their members, but it still smacks of religion to me- joining the cause and going to a meeting hall for lectures. I may one day be wanting to do that, but I am not up for "movements" right now at this point in my life. Power to others that are up for them.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I am me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit