Is it okay to be antisocial?

by AwSnap 38 Replies latest jw friends

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

The were starving and hadnt had dinner. We already had and the place we were at didnt have real food (just hummus and shit, lol)

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

well you didn't give a very good witness, now did you?

ps... was she cute?

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I was VERY nice I PROMISE! My husband sent the dude a text saying that I really wanted to go to the county fair (lol, lame but true unfortunately). Six, maybe I'll introduce you too when you come out to visit....yes, she was kinda cute, though not my type.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Hey Snap!

You sound like me. I'm not sure what to do about it. I am so busy during the day I don't feel like socializing or talking after work. I am a little fish in a big pond. A psychic told me to get out, join something get my feet wet. And frankly, sometimes I just don't want to put in the effort...so I think there is something wrong with me.

Ok right, it's not about me. I really think we have so little time, and when you have a feeling, you have a feeling...hard to ignore. You want your quiet time. Maybe a compromise with hubby at more of planned occasion rather than something spontaneous. But you are NOT anti-social...I would NEVER get that about you.

xx

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I love sitting here and hanging with like minded people.

lisa

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    I'm scared they'll find out about the former jw life and about my family shunning, and feel pity for me...which is NOT okay.

Feeling like that will limit your social interactions and friendships. Plese don't confuse pity with empathy or compassion. Being shunned is unfortunately part of who you are. You don't have to shout it from the rooftops, but it would be better for you to embrace it. Once you do that, you'll see yourself as a cult survivor and not a cult victim.

Every "worldly" person who knows that I'm shunned by my jw family has been nothing but compassionate. And I get an opportunity to give an anti-witness.

• doublelife
    doublelife

It doesn't sound like you're anti-social. Just introverted. I read a book about a month ago called Introvert Power. It completely changed the way I view myself. I had always been told that I was a social retard, and now I know that that's not true. One of the things in the book that stuck with me was when the author talked about brain scan studies on introverts versus extroverts. To sum it up, introverts have more blood flow and electrical currents flowing through their brain than extroverts. That's why extroverts are more social, because they need more stimulation. So small talk is stimulating for them. With introverts, small talk wears us out and drains our energy. Introvert minds are constantly active, so we need to conserve our energy. It can't be wasted on people we know we're not going to have any deep, meaningful interactions with. It's a book I think every introvert should read. It's very empowering.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

antisocial [?ænt?'s????l]

adj 1. avoiding the company of other people; unsociable

I can relate, I'm the same way. I have my small group of people I know pretty well and I like it that way. Sometimes in the mornings if I get to school too early people are standing together small talking. I always cringe in that situation because I never really feel comfortable joining in but I also don't want to seem rude. I try to avoid those types of situations but it's not always possible.
  • MsDucky
    MsDucky

Asocial/Antisocial

Someone who doesn’t enjoy socializing at parties might be described as either “asocial” or “antisocial’; but “asocial” is too mild a term to describe someone who commits an antisocial act like planting a bomb. “Asocial” suggests indifference to or separation from society, whereas “anti-social” more often suggests active hostility toward society.

Social Phobia (Social Anxiety Disorder)

What is Social Phobia?

Social Phobia, or Social Anxiety Disorder, is an anxiety disorder characterized by overwhelming anxiety and excessive self-consciousness in everyday social situations. Social phobia can be limited to only one type of situation — such as a fear of speaking in formal or informal situations, or eating or drinking in front of others — or, in its most severe form, may be so broad that a person experiences symptoms almost anytime they are around other people. More about Social Phobia »

Signs & Symptoms

People with social phobia have a persistent, intense, and chronic fear of being watched and judged by others and being embarrassed or humiliated by their own actions. Their fear may be so severe that it interferes with work or school, and other ordinary activities. Physical symptoms often accompany the intense anxiety of social phobia and include blushing, profuse sweating, trembling, nausea, and difficulty talking. More about Signs & Symptoms »

Treatment

Effective treatments for social phobia are available, and research is yielding new, improved therapies that can help most people with social phobia and other anxiety disorders lead productive, fulfilling lives. More about Treatment »

Getting Help: Locate Services

Locate mental health services in your area, affordable healthcare, NIMH clinical trials, and listings of professionals and organizations. More about Locating Services »

Related Information

in·tro·vert·ed (in'tr?-vûr?tid)

adjective

Marked by interest in or preoccupation with oneself or one's own thoughts as opposed to others or the environment; shy or reserved. _______________________________ I am very introverted. Having friends to me means having extra baggage. I'm just quirky that way.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

I think its funny how some extroverts dont understand. Then again, I suppose I dont understand extroverts. I don't feel negative about it...I just dont see the point of chit chat. My hair stylist probably thinks I never get any sleep...I just sit there and close my eyes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit