Do You Still Believe the Bible is God's Word?

by cantleave 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• littlebird
    littlebird

Leaving, I love you, but I not one of those.

As far as the bible being Gods Word, as the wt describes it. No. I dont' believe he had a bunch of secretaries write down everything, some things yes, like the ten commandments, for example. John doesn't say his writings are "the word of God", he says that Jesus is the word of God. John 1:1

I believe what is said in Luke 1:1-4

1 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled [a] among us, 2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. 3 Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, 4 so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.

• ex-witness
    ex-witness

The god of the Old Testament (Hebrew Scriptures) was a vindictive, jealous, petty, perverted, genocidal, homicidal, childish deity entirely UNWORTHY of his creation.

If he was a child his toys would be taken away and he'd be grounded.

I've got no time to deal with someone like that.

• clarity
    clarity

Thanks Littlebird

Another one of those Ahha! moments, sort of puts things into perspective.................... walkin away thinkin geez another scripture i don't remember reading!!

clarity

• tec
    tec

I believe Jesus Christ is God's Word. The bible is what man has written down about what they believe, history, parables, retold accounts, and also inspired scripture.

I have also read the whole thing. A few times and then some :)

Tammy

• leavingwt
  • tec
    tec

My mother let me develop my own opinion as much as she was capable - you can't teach your children something you don't know - but she did always encourage us to search for whatever we wanted.

I have great faith for Christ and God.

My brother is an atheist (but admittedly, that is mostly against the Church. He doesn't mind hearing me talk, and then admits to being more agnostic)

Tammy

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    He doesn't mind hearing me talk

I don't mind hearing you talk, either. Moreover, how could I not be a little jealous (on occasion) of the certainty that somebody is up there looking after you?

• tec
    tec

That certainty might be the only difference between us, Leaving. Meaning Christ and God are up there for you too - or maybe you haven't wondered why people who believe in them care so much about you? We can't be any better than our teacher (Christ), and you are a kind and sincere man. I think you want to believe... you just don't, yet.

(sorry, if I'm wrong about that)

Not that I have never had moments of doubt - but again, I only have to think of the truth and love in Christ's teachings, and those doubts go away.

Tammy

• Terry
    Terry

You are a thinker OR a believer.

Once you BELIEVE you don't need to think.

How do I know? Because, when BELIEVERS speak their explanations come out confused.

How does anybody on planet Earth encounter the concept of God or Jesus except through some Holy Book?

There you are! Stuck with the fine print.

The alternative is to make your own stuff up. Nobody can disprove what you imagine--can they?

There is no way to TEST it!

So, you either BELIEVE the book (whatever book or books) your culture forcefeeds you from birth.

Or...

You makes stuff up (pick and choose the nonsense like a buffet at a sald bar)

Or...

You declare yourself: SPIRITUAL (a word without substantive definition! A word which can mean anything, in effect, means nothing!)

OR....

You can use your mind to think.

Belief destroys thinking. Thinking destroys belief.

The choice is yours. (If you can still make a choice!)

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

I wear a shirt that reads, "THINK IT'S NOT ILLEGAL YET."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit