Do You Still Believe the Bible is God's Word?

by cantleave 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave

If so why???

BTW - I just see it as collection of old books written by men who reflected the thinking and knowledge of their time?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

No, not in it's current form. I feel like you, its a collection of old history books related to semetic history, a collection of letters to various congregations from the apostles, and one apocalyptic letter. I believe within all of those writings, one can get a grasp, although not perfect, but still some grasp on what God expects of people.

The whole "Word of God", or "God's Word" is backwards to me. It's the reason to me why organized religion is so backwards. One example is the recent thread on "Not forsaking the gathering of yourselves." That line was just one part of Paul's letter to the Hebrews. Let the WTS tell it, it was a command from God, which is nonsense. Another example I think of is 1 Cor 7:12, where Paul says, "but to the rest, I, not the lord, say." Paul said quite clearly, it was him doing the talking and the directing. It was his view, not Christs, or God's, but rather again, Paul's. Let the WTS tell it, it was a command from God again. Again, I think one can grasp a lot about God through those ancient writings. However to attribute all of those writings as God's word is insulting to God I believe.

• FreeAtLast1914
  • Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

The Bible is a collection of writings by men, where they included their ideas about God. Much of the time, their writings are propaganda; they were writing to and for their own immediate community, expressed in terms of their own culture, idioms, comprehension, politics, with the objective of influencing their own community.

The decisions on which writings (scrolls) to include were heated and the decisions took hundreds of years to address. Even today, different traditions accept different writings as Scripture.

The question I have is: "What do JW's understand by the term 'inspired'"?

Doug

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Only in so far as god was obessed with penises and menstrual blood.

• Palimpsest
  • villabolo
    villabolo

Do You Still Believe the Bible is God's Word?

Do you believe that God can count?

7 Moreover, King Cyrus brought out the articles belonging to the temple of the LORD, which Nebuchadnezzar had carried away from Jerusalem and had placed in the temple of his god. [ a ] 8 Cyrus king of Persia had them brought by Mithredath the treasurer, who counted them out to Sheshbazzar the prince of Judah.

9 This was the inventory:
    gold dishes 30
    silver dishes 1,000
    silver pans [ b ] 29

10 gold bowls 30
    matching silver bowls 410
    other articles 1,000

11 In all, there were 5,400 articles of gold and of silver. Sheshbazzar brought all these along when the exiles came up from Babylon to Jerusalem.

Ezra 1:7-11 New International Version

Do you believe you should marry your rapist?

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. [ c ] He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Deuteronomy 22:28, 29 New International Version

Do you believe that a small amount of leprosy is unclean but it becomes clean when it spreads throughout the entire body? Or then again maybe not? Or it may be that . . . ???

9 "When anyone has an infectious skin disease, he must be brought to the priest. 10 The priest is to examine him, and if there is a white swelling in the skin that has turned the hair white and if there is raw flesh in the swelling, 11 it is a chronic skin disease and the priest shall pronounce him unclean. He is not to put him in isolation, because he is already unclean.

12 "If the disease breaks out all over his skin and, so far as the priest can see, it covers all the skin of the infected person from head to foot, 13 the priest is to examine him, and if the disease has covered his whole body, he shall pronounce that person clean. Since it has all turned white, he is clean. 14 But whenever raw flesh appears on him, he will be unclean. 15 When the priest sees the raw flesh, he shall pronounce him unclean. The raw flesh is unclean; he has an infectious disease. 16 Should the raw flesh change and turn white, he must go to the priest. 17 The priest is to examine him, and if the sores have turned white, the priest shall pronounce the infected person clean; then he will be clean.

Leviticus 13:9-17 New International Version

VILLABOLO

• cantleave
    cantleave

I notice this thread lacks believers

• Quando
    Quando

I feel the same way old books, some good stuff, some stupid but at the end of the day just plain ole OLD.

• leavingwt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit