2 kings 2:23-24: The 42 children killed by bears.

by bohm 68 Replies latest jw friends

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I don't think that number in itself matters, other then if the writer wanted to make some point, because the "killer" of the arguement is here:

He cursed them in the name of the lord.

The translation Bohm put is is from the NWT I assume, most don't have the "evil" part in the translation since the word is not there in the original hebrew text ( at least not the ones I have seen).

Cursing in the name of the Lord is taking the Lord's name to do wrong, which is forbidden.

Of course common sense also dictates that God would not be ok with 42 children being killed by bears because they called one of his prophest "Baldy".

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Psac: Sorry to disagree with you about the numbers. From what I have been reading, to the Hebrews each letter of the alphabet had a corresponding number and a lot was read into the meaning of letters and numbers. 12 most likely had to do with the 12 signs of the Zodiac (The Fated Sky has a lot to say about the significance of 12/7/60/365 etc. in ancient writings) So I believe there's some underlying message for the initiated (not me, obviously!) 42 (months) is also used in Revelation.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Psac: Sorry to disagree with you about the numbers. From what I have been reading, to the Hebrews each letter of the alphabet had a corresponding number and a lot was read into the meaning of letters and numbers. 12 most likely had to do with the 12 signs of the Zodiac (The Fated Sky has a lot to say about the significance of 12/7/60/365 etc. in ancient writings) So I believe there's some underlying message for the initiated (not me, obviously!) 42 (months) is also used in Revelation.

Thinking like that eventually led the Millerites and Russell to 1844, 1874, and 1914. And we all know how well that came out.

It also misses the point that the old testament god is reported to have caused the deaths of children for childishly calling the old guy "baldy".

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The hebrew hard-on for numbers is well know, which doesn't make it right, just well known.

• tec
    tec

Just chiming in. Have to say I believe the way PSac does. Read the bible as if Jesus was God (since he is the reflection of his Father) and also with the fact that God does not change. Jesus preached love, mercy, forgiveness, turn the other cheek, etc. That's how I differentiate between what was true, and what man merely attributed to God. But then, I'm not a bible inerrentist either.

At the same time, I believe there are accounts that may have happened as stated (as brutal as they seem) but that we do not know the whole story.

Tammy

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Is there a plausible scenario in which two bears could kill 42 children standing outside, other than having them stand in a line waiting to be mauled?

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Is there a plausible scenario in which two bears could kill 42 children standing outside, other than having them stand in a line waiting to be mauled?

I thought the same thing from the first posts on this thread. Going further - is it even plausible that two she-bears would actually kill 42 kids at one time if they were all locked up in a cage at the zoo? Bears generally kill or maul people only on the basis of surprise, or fear, or mistakenly thinking that their young are threatened. 42 kids at one time (simultaneously by two bears) strains all credibility. But then, the bible strongly hints that God had the bears under some kind of divine radio control.

• snowbird
    snowbird

2 Kings 2:23 Another time, Elisha was on his way to Bethel and some little kids came out from the town and taunted him, "What's up, old baldhead! Out of our way, skinhead!"

24 Elisha turned, took one look at them, and cursed them in the name of God. Two bears charged out of the underbrush and knocked them about, ripping them limb from limb—forty-two children in all! MSG

Were there more than 42 initially involved? Was Elijah in fear for his life? Once, I saw two little boys - ages 5 and 6 - attack their mother and drive her out of her house. You would have had to see it to believe it!

Can you tell I believe the account?

Syl

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

The Bears were on a mission and had GPS so they could find the kids easily. Besides they were super fast!

Who are you to question Gods ways? If he decided to use bears in this occasion and not fire or an earthquake or snakes. I mean he likes variation. Besides balding people are almost holy for God.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Besides, doesn't the original Hebrew indicate they were she-bears?

Everbody knows you don't mess around with she-anythings!

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit