2 kings 2:23-24: The 42 children killed by bears.

by bohm 68 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

(2 Kings 2:19-25)

19 In time the men of the city said to E?li′sha: “Here, now, the situation of the city is good, just as my master is seeing; but the water is bad, and the land is causing miscarriages.”20 At that he said: “Fetch me a small new bowl and put salt in it.” So they fetched it for him.
    21 Then he went on out to the source of the water and threw salt in it and said: “This is what Jehovah has said, ‘I do make this water healthful. No more will death or any causing of miscarriages result from it.’”
    22 And the water continues healed down to this day, according to E?li′sha’s word that he spoke.
    23 And he proceeded to go up from there to Beth′el. As he was going up on the way, there were small boys that came out from the city and began to jeer him and that kept saying to him: “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!”
    24 Finally he turned behind him and saw them and called down evil upon them in the name of Jehovah. Then two she-bears came out from the woods and went tearing to pieces forty-two children of their number.

25 And he kept going from there to Mount Car′mel, and from there he returned to Sa?mar′i?a.

I think this is a very interesting part of the bible, because it raise a lot of questions. So for those who believe this happened, i would like to ask:

a) Is it categorically a wrong and evil thing to kill small children because they mock you or someone you like?

b) Was Elisha wrong or right in calling down the course? Should and would he have done it had he known the outcome? If not, did he do wrong?

c) Would it not have been more christian to pray for the children rather than coursing them?

d) When did God stop listening to courses in his name and act upon them?

e) Am i missing some part of the story that put Elisha and God in a different light?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

One can NOT call down EVIL in the name of God.

Elisha did nothing of the sort, just a passage written by man as a warning to those reading it to NOT piss off God's prophets.

Don't beleive me? don't think the writers woudl have doen this?

Well, see what Jeremiah said:

4 “Say to them, ‘This is what the Lord says:

“ ‘When men fall down, do they not get up?

When a man turns away, does he not return?

5 Why then have these people turned away?

Why does Jerusalem always turn away?

They cling to deceit;

they refuse to return.

6 I have listened attentively,

but they do not say what is right.

No one repents of his wickedness,

saying, “What have I done?”

Each pursues his own course

like a horse charging into battle.

7 Even the stork in the sky

knows her appointed seasons,

and the dove, the swift and the thrush

observe the time of their migration.

But my people do not know

the requirements of the Lord .

8 “ ‘How can you say, “We are wise,

for we have the law of the Lord ,”

when actually the lying pen of the scribes

has handled it falsely?

9 The wise will be put to shame;

they will be dismayed and trapped.

Since they have rejected the word of the Lord ,

what kind of wisdom do they have?

See how Jeremiah reams them one for altering the"word" of God for their own purposes to a point where God's own people don't know the requirments of God.

• bohm
    bohm

PS: I hope i didnt give the impression i think all christians believe the above was a historical fact :-). But some do, and i wonder what they think about it.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    But some do, and i wonder what they think about it.

I believe it's an historical fact; I have no problem with that text.

There are some blisters in my area that could profit from a close encounter of the ursine kind.

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I am sure some do and that some may think it was the "right" thing to do, to each their own as always.

I for one believe that God is Love that there is no dark ( evil) in God and a such, God would not, can not, do such an act or be part of such an act.

Of course I don't take the bible as literal or as inerrant or as 100% the "word" of God.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu

Man, I grew up with this scriptural passage being shoved down my throat as to what could happen if I said the wrong thing..... It was also raised whenever I suffered from fear of man due to the mockings I would get at school for being a jw.... "dont worry, the bears will get them at the big A!"

Cheers, Mattieu

• cult classic
    cult classic

That scripture and several others certainly show the god of the bible as being loving and merciful.

Psac are you saying that the verses in Jeremiah are to be believed and the ones in 2 Kings are not? I don't understand your point.

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Hi Bohm,

Some time ago, I was a member of a cult, that insisted this did really happen. At one meeting the speaker did explain, that this action was necessary to glorify Jehovahs name and we should not be sorry for anybody executed by Jehovah. All cult memebers did agree with this explanation, so it must be true.

Albert

• zoiks
    zoiks

My guess is that the Babylonian exile-era Hebrew who wrote this passage was being picked on by little Babylonian and Hebrew kids for being bald. No Rogaine back then, just sweet vengeance.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Actually, not all that big a deal - when you compare it to the flood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit