If you want to see Episode 1 of the new XJW documentary, "Belief," here are links

by AndersonsInfo 37 Replies latest jw friends

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I saw your film and it chilled me to the bone. For so long I thought I didn't have any tears left to cry after my last crash into depression. I didn't suffer through abuse or PTSD inducing trauma during my formative years, but I've learned what a terrible group of people we were part of. The realization of it hit me upside the head like a two-by-four after watching this. All the secrets. All the lies. All the skeletons. So much that I never saw. The stories need to be told. Thank you so much.

V665

PS: When do we get to see part 2?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

This is an awesome documentary. I went to the initial screening and it was indeed moving.

Isaac Carmignani

• Ice cream
    Ice cream

Superb Mani!

'In simple terms, for each person its a loss/gain situation - and if they will not gain enough to help them withstand the massive loss they will experience on every level of thier existence - I personally don't think its best for them to leave'.

Couldn't agree more, i've been mentally free from the WTS for about 18months. My parents have been active for the last 35 years, it pains me everyday to think of the life they've wasted but what would they do now if they discovered the 'real' truth, they're in their late 60's.

Thank you for your hard work.

• augustOne
    augustOne

to jwfacts

Thank you so much! Please embed it at jwfacts.com. I'm glad you liked the poem as well - that realization is what led to the film so it is very meaninful to me. I have a website about "Belief" that is down right now - when it is up and running again I will post a link to jwfacts.com. Thanks again for your words - I'm glad my work is having the intended effects.

~ Mani

• augustOne
    augustOne

to VampireDCLXV

I'm glad you didn't suffer abuse and PTSD as a child. You mentioned your last crash into depression - which is something I commonly hear from people. I battled terrible depression for SO LONG - and though I'm better now I feel it still lives in me like a black hole I've learned to distance myself from - or be sucked it. This may have been harder on all of us than we realize...I only say this in the interest of your emotional health - so if painful things are interfering with your ability to live a happy healthy life you get all the help you need to deal with them. It took me some years to realize that I could expect a better life than paralyzing depression - and even a lack of paralyzing depression. I could be happy and thrive. The sadness that remains is sadness anyone SHOULD feel dealing with the kind of loss and conditional love we have all experienced. I don't know enough about your situation to say much more than that - out of genuine concern and from a very clear memory of just how hard it was for me to get out of bed and funcion for several years.

I don't think the people in the group we were in are terrible. There are some who knowingly manipulate, abuse, and prey on others - yes those kind of people that exist in pretty much every group are terrible. That behavior is TOTALLY inexcusable! One of the biggest helps to me was studying the work of social psychologists - understanding how social influence works - how incredibly powerful it is. Thier belief is that in a social context like Jehovah's Witnesses a lot of the behavior we see, and things we may have even said and done and believed - were a reasonable choice (maybe even the best choice) considering the circumstances. At first it was hard for me to think of my past life this way - but it eventually helped me to make more sense of the overwhelming confusion and sadness that was most of my life.

The best comparison I can think of is when people are in an extreme situation that threatens thier life - they behave in ways that make sense in the situation - but out of that context would not. The trapped Chilean miners survived for 17 days on a 2 day supply of emergency food. An associated press article I read reports they did this by living on "two spoonfuls of tuna, a sip of milk and a bite of crackers. Every other day." In their situation it makes sense to eat like that - though it is not healhty - they need to SURVIVE! But now they are recieving more food - and when they are hopefully free - they will eat in a "normal" way that is healthy. Really - we were like those miners for so long - rationing the bits of healhty things around us to SURVIVE - but in an environment that is only so healthy, of course unhealthy things will take place. Read the article but imagine the mine as the religion and the miners as the members, it may help: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/08/trapped_chilean_miners_lived_o.html

I don't have a set time scale to release Episode 2. I have a couple of trailers coming out soon. I'm starting graduate school next week so hope to get it out before I get too busy in the next couple of months. There will be significant improvements (I hope) in Episode 2 so I'm trying to balance giving the quality I want to the Episode with getting it out ASAP. I'll post a message on here when the trailers are ready - and even better - the full episode.

Thanks for your comments. I said more than I planned - I hope it helps in some way!

~ Mani

• augustOne
    augustOne

to truthsetsonefree

Hi Isaac! It was so great having you there! Readers stay tuned for a future Episode giving you more of Isaac's story - quite amazing!

~ Mani

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Mani -- Thank you for the reply. I did catch that snippet of 'Cry Baby Cry' at the end of Helter Skelter. I was loving the Beatles music and I thought it fit the material very well. I enjoyed your video and I'm looking forward to future ones.

• Denial
    Denial

there's a million and one musicians out there and ya gotta pick the same old over-played crap that's been on the radio for the last 40 years? geez. go buy a cd or get an ounce of creativity.

the beatles "haven't usually looked upon this sort of usage in a favorable manner" because they dont get any money from it! they were money grubbers who didnt want the tax man taking away their precious coin.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    there's a million and one musicians out there and ya gotta pick the same old over-played crap that's been on the radio for the last 40 years? geez. go buy a cd or get an ounce of creativity.
    the beatles "haven't usually looked upon this sort of usage in a favorable manner" because they dont get any money from it! they were money grubbers who didnt want the tax man taking away their precious coin.

Passion.

• WalkTall
    WalkTall

Mani,

Love the video. I am currently trapped inside as I don't want to lose my grown children. It is hard mentally, physically, and emotionally, but I am surviving. I am slowly learning to find my 'pristine' place, my sacred ground. I need to connect to that to be able to keep my sanity until I can someday, hopefully, break totally free.

Since awakening, the most fascinating part of this journey for me has been realizing how much our minds and social conditioning are responsible for our involvement in religious organizations. The spiritual aspect is the fantasy world that binds together certain people who, for myriads of reasons, accept the same fantasy. I envy you your opportunity to learn and research the psychological aspects and consequences of religion on the human race. And I so appreciate your sharing your discoveries with others.

Are you familiar with Bill Maher? When I saw your documentary, it reminded me of what he has been saying for years regarding the dangers of religion. Maybe there is some way to forward your work to him so that it might be able to reach a wider audience.

Again, thank you so much for making the video.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit