Should Immigrants Be Made To Learn English If They're Living In The USA?

by minimus 68 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

whaddya think??

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yes - and they should in the UK too.

• will_the_apostate
    will_the_apostate

if i was to move to a another country that english wasn't the first language, i feel i would be expected to learn their language

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

why and by who?

• journey-on
    journey-on

Yes. But what do you mean by "made". Let's change that to "strongly encouraged" and make the opportunity to do so a bit easier.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

Yes. They want to live in the US because it's better than their country, damn straight they better learn to speak english. If I moved to another country and their language wasn't english, you damn well better believe I'm going to learn their language too.

• minimus
    minimus

I've seen political ads that are espousing the view that American's need to keep their identity and language.

• undercover
    undercover
    if i was to move to a another country that english wasn't the first language, i feel i would be expected to learn their language

I would too.... but that doesn't mean that I want France to force me to learn French should I move there. I'll learn it because I want to fit in when necessary and to be able to communicate, not because the government wants to assimilate me.

I don't want to see the government go to great lengths to make it too easy for people to not learn the native language, but I don't see that they should be forced to learn English. Let them succeed or fail on their own based on how well they want to adapt to their new country.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

I don't live in the US, I live in places north if ya know what I mean.

My $0.02: Whatever place you move permanently move to, you should learn the official language/s. I think it's extremely disrespectful to the established citizens of the country you immigrate to if you refuse to learn their tongue. I see it in my neck of the woods, large populations of immigrants living in their own ghettos, refusing to learn english, staking out a piece of my country and making it the same as place they left, no english signage whatsoever. When I visit these places it chills me to the bone, it feels like I'm not in my own country anymore. If you move to a new country and you want things to be exactly the same as the country you left, WHY MOVE AT ALL?

If anyone calls me a racist/xenophobe over this, f%@# you! You don't know what you're talking about! My parents are immigrants.

V665

• minimus
    minimus

I'm not for "making" anyone do this. I see the principles involved but I think it's too much government and I think it could be strongly suggested but not mandatory.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit