Shunned by the world, then by the JWs and then shunned by Theists, when does this end?

by cyberjesus 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Violia
    Violia

I understand also. I live in the Bible Belt and it is miserable here. I like the Bible but the religions around here are very legalistic , a lot like Jws. The church of christ can get downright mean. If you do not attend church somewhere around here you are judged to be a very bad person. We do have a growing Metaphysical community but they are shunned by the majority.

There must be some place to live where a person is not held hostage by the churches.

• Terry
    Terry

I recently posted a question regarding Atheism in my facebook and literally the comments were blatantly absurd and based on misconceptions.

When will this end.

Being disfellowshipped and shunned by literally ALL the friends I had spent years building up into a legacy for later life came out of left field for me.

Didn't see it coming or happening.

I was devastated for a long while.

Then, one day, I was talking to an acquaintance of mine; a non JW. I mentioned the disfellowshipping thing and the shunning and the feeling of being dead while alive.

The friend said to me, "Who wants fellowship with people who don't share our values?"

That seemed to stop me in my tracks as I fished for an answer.

Surely it was more complicated than that.

While I was thinking, the friend added: "Sounds like a formula for lifelong misery trying to be accepted by people who just don't get it."

There it was in a nutshell.

So obvious.

Birds of a feath and all that.

Why seek the company and acceptance of people who just don't get it? Don't value my values? Don't see my value?

Lose/Lose.

What is WIN/WIN?

Finding people like yourself who share your values.

Crows with Crows. Rabbits with Rabbits.

Putting a cuddly Bunny next to a pack of Wolves is going to lead to a delicious misunderstanding for the rabbit.

The trick is knowing where to find people like yourself.

Or, to put it another way. If you are truly unique in all the world it is going to be a lonely life.

• moshe
    moshe

I takes a strong person to put one of these on his bumper- I have seen a few, in the last couple years.

I found that when I told people I no longer believed in Jesus. that it brought out the curious side or scorn or downright hate from Christians. It's so much easier to just say, "I'm Jewish", end of discusssion. A humanist Jew title would fit pretty good, actually.

• Violia
    Violia

That is so true, Terry. So many of us were made to whimper and grovel to be accepted by the super righteous jws. Now I find that many of the churches are just as judgmental. I don't hate the Bible, I just want to be able to be able to read and consider whatever I please. Maybe I am asking too much. I will keep on though, b/c I could never fit in with jws. They have too many rules.

Actually, being a secular jew is pretty good, just say shalom and show up for the holy days if you please.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Just shun shunning, I say.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

No one should feel misplaced and degraded by other people's ignorance and stupidity.

Its easy to prove religionists own ignorance of their pronounced chosen faith, especially the JWS.

Unfortunately this is a trap that fading JWS some how fall into when they leave this bogus publishing cult.

Idiots never impressed me, thinking intelligent people do and thats who I personally strive to associate with.

Just some food for thought.

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Id never shun you and im a freaking agnostic!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

funny (not) that we live in societies that think they are christian and therefor feel they also have the right to force their brand down people throats and inject themselves into everybody elses lives...

oz

• Podobear
    Podobear

I think it takes greater faith to be an Atheist, Cyberjesus. I no longer have a "religious" label but I do describe myself as a Spiritual man.

Stand on top of Mount Teide (Canary Islands).. feel the sun beat down, see the islands and the coast of Africa - smell the waft of the pine trees surfing the gentle breezes.. drink in the beauty, that is life. I am an eternal romantic.

You have greater faith indeed. Why should I shun you?

K.I.S.S [keep it simple stupid]... dumbo of the United Kingdom here.. can't give up the God thing..

All the best.

Podo

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Now I am being even shunned by Ex-JWs. There are so many misconceptions regarding Atheism that is unbelievable. I know many non-believers who I have noticed they actually hide that fact at work or in their social environment because that could affect the way they are being treated. ... I recently posted a question regarding Atheism in my facebook and literally the comments were blatantly absurd and based on misconceptions. When will this end. Are you being shunned by the world?

I totally feel your "pain," dear CJ (peace to you!). Just replace the words in red with "I recently posted a truth I was given by my Lord, the Holy One of Israel, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH, here on JWD.net". Now, imagine me doing so on Facebook.

Like I said, I...literally feel... YOUR "pain."

Peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA... who gets it from all "sides"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit