Shunned by the world, then by the JWs and then shunned by Theists, when does this end?

by cyberjesus 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

When I was a JW I always hide my JW status to people of the world because I was taught that we were hated by Satan and his world. And indeed in School I experienced being ostracized by my religious beliefs and everytime I had to take a stand not saluting the flag I was the object of ridicule.

Then when I left the JW now I am shunned by my family by taking a firm posture on my beliefs or disbeliefs. Now I am ostracized by my own JW family because I dont go along their set of doctrines.

Now that I have abandoned any religious belief altogether feel how most people who dont believe in a God are ostracized from the majority of the populations. Ha Now I am being even shunned by Ex-JWs. There are so many misconceptions regarding Atheism that is unbelievable. I know many non-believers who I have noticed they actually hide that fact at work or in their social environment because that could affect the way they are being treated.

I recently posted a question regarding Atheism in my facebook and literally the comments were blatantly absurd and based on misconceptions.

When will this end.

Are you being shunned by the world?

• steve2
    steve2

Making your way through life can often seem like a lonely and thankless endeavour. Hopefully, as you progress you'll realize that some of your experiences of being on the receiving end of other's judgements can make you more determined and even stronger.

As much as I hated being cut off from my extended family when I was kicked out of the JWs as a young man, I also realize now in looking back that was the time I literally had to grow up and take charge of my life.

BTW, you're not really alone: I'm not a believer, but have heard stories of ex-JWs who develop other Christian beliefs and end up being judged harshly by other ex-JWs. I guess what I take from all of this is, It's okay for others to have their own beliefs and views just as its okay for me to have mine. Whether I believe somethjing or not does not depend on how others treat me

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Evangelistic atheism is like telling small children that Santa doesn't exist -- just before Christmas. It's a real turd in the punch bowl.

What people believe is of little consequence. It's what they DO that matters. Delusions come in all forms and many of them are harmless. You can't kick every dog that barks at you.

• tec
    tec

I don't agree with your position on faith, CJ, but I would not shun you - or any other atheist for that matter. More than that, I don't believe I even have the right to shun you or anyone else.

Tammy

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I like that. you cant kick every dog that bark at you.... only kick the annoying ones :-)

• laverite
    laverite

Cyber-Jesus,

I'm an atheist. But I've decided to join the rest and just shun you, too. You aren't allowed to talk to me.

• tec
    tec

I don't agree with your position on faith, CJ, but I would not shun you - or any other atheist for that matter. More than that, I don't believe I even have the right to shun you or anyone else.

Re-reading that, it was arrogant and preachy, and I apologize. Sincerely. But truthfully, no one has the right to shun you nor you them. One, it is not Christ-like, and two - none of them know you, what made you, what directs you, or who you really are.

Tammy

• laverite
    laverite

Tammy,

Very well said! I've decided to stop shunning CyberJesus as of now.

• tec
    tec

:)

• wasblind
    wasblind

Cyber if people who call themselves christians shun you, then they are truly not following the christ

like Tammy, i would not shun you either. And no one has the right to force you to believe in anything

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit