Live music in the Kingdom Halls

by Quillsky 31 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

In every congregation I was in during my childhood and up to early adulthood, at least one person - usually a sister - played thew piano. But in the days before recorded music was used, what did they do in congregations where no one knew how to play either the piano or any other muscial instrument?

• nelly136
    nelly136

R.I.P Bob Drewett, he could jazz up the most dire mingdom helody into something worth singing to.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

We had a piano here (NYC), but most inner city folks don't get the chance to learn piano. But sometimes CO wives would come and treat us to their playing.

• clarity
    clarity

Oh yes, I remember the orchestra at the assemblys (and the free turkey dinner after) and the old piano playing at the local hall. There was more a sense of realness then...down to earth. Young people could aspire to something other than selling magazines ...playing in the 'band'! But oh no, that took too much time away from making sure you had maximum hrs on that time slip! The difference between playing a musical instrument real time and the canned stuff, is just like the difference btwn a.. a.. well actual live pine xmas tree ...and a plastic one. Can I say that now!

clarity

• booby
    booby

St George of England - thanks for the memory jog. In my first hall it was an organ like that, not a piano.

• Open mind
    Open mind

steve2 said: what did they do in congregations where no one knew how to play either the piano or any other muscial instrument?

I can remember a couple of times growing up when no piano players were available and for whatever reason they couldn't get the record player to work. We sang the song a capella.

Cacophany ensued.

Good times.

om

• blondie
    blondie

I started my piano career at the age of 10 before I could read music; just played by ear.

One time a brother played the song on his harmonica.

We were "lucky" that we also had strong, good singers in some of the congregations I attended.

• steve2
    steve2
    Cacophany ensued.

Yes Open Mind, even with an acomplished piano player in my local congregation, cacophany often ensued. JWs have a well earned reputation as among some of the most tuneless, off-key, pedestrian singers on the planet. Those misnamed Kingdom "melodies" were anything but melodious. In fact, some JWs considered it a matter of pride that "Jehovah's people" sang so badly; it was kind of like an additional proof that JWs were totally different from the pagan churches of Christendoim who have well trained singers and practised choirs. Talk about crazy-minded logic.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    In fact, some JWs considered it a matter of pride that "Jehovah's people" sang so badly; it was kind of like an additional proof that JWs were totally different from the pagan churches of Christendoim who have well trained singers and practised choirs.

Ha ha ha Steve!! Never heard that before, but it's an astute observation that only an ex-JW could relate to!

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

My very beautiful Mom played the piano at the meetings and also played two different instruments in the Assembly Orchestra (lots of infighting/competition there)

One evening we were late for the meeting. As soon as we got there she rushed to the front of the hall and sat down at the piano just as the brother was announcing the song. She had just enough time to take off her coat so that she could move more freely. She had it all unbuttoned and just as she was about to take it off, she realized that in her haste to get out the door to the meeting, she had forgotten to put on her dress. All she had on was her bra and half slip under the coat. My brother and sisters never let her live that one down LOL !

She got counsled one time for adding too much of her own flair while she played. Flourishes were frowned upon. When she played "Myriads and Myriads of Brothers" she added a little giddy up western background beat that always sounded kinda nice and people always enjoyed it.

Then the records came along and she was sidelined...the baby grand was sold and things started getting pretty canned and plastic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit