Live music in the Kingdom Halls

by Quillsky 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Gayle
    Gayle

The organization just sucks out the personality and God-given talents of their members. People with musical talents or any other artistic ability are often accused that they could get too arrogant and too selfish and they may want too much attention for themselves. Anyway, they are to wait to the new world and spend all their time for door-to-door work now.

A work associate invited me to her church, she was in the choir program. She is black and most everyone was black there. The program was so full of life and joy. I told her I wish I had been raised in such an 'alive' church. The Kingdom Hall music has more the sound of death marches.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

crapola played for decades at our congo.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I bet it sounded better than the dying cats and cult chants we now have with the new songbook.

• crapola
    crapola

Yes I played for years and at the end started hating it. Made me a nervous wreck.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This would be great, if I were in Brother Prince Nelson's Kingdom Hall.

• I quit!
    I quit!

By reading all of your comments I can see it really was as bad as the way I remember it.

• booby
    booby

Not going to try to remember the year/years, but in the first congo I attended we had an older brother play the violin, usually along with a sister on the piano and sometimes a guitar joining to make a trio.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Up until the late 1950's we had an organ at the KH and an elderly sister played. It had a pair of pedals like large paddles that she had to continually pump for the air. Sounded good though.

When she was no longer up to it we got a piano and a younger sister played but she had limited expertise so whoever was conducting the meeting would say "Is number xx OK?" and she would say either YES or NO, cannot manage 4 flats or whatever!

Then we had the first LP records in the late 60's played on a cheap record player with a microphone stuck in front of the speaker. Not good.

George

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

An Old Elders wife played Piano at our Hall............

I remember she was very good.

• StAnn
    StAnn

My mother would substitute whenever the pianist was unavailable. When there was no one available, there was a brother with a beautiful singing voice who would lead us in a cappella song and it was very satisfying because we could really hear each other and a lot of folks sang harmonies. Those days are gone, aren't they?

I think the stopped it because people were spending time and money on piano lessons for their children, money and time that could go to the WTS.

Damn, the WTS looks more like the Soviet Union every day. The KHoles are becoming more and more like gulags.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit