What's the biggest lie/rumor that has ever been told about YOU?

by VampireDCLXV 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Most of us here know what a hypocritical, backstabbing bunch of gossips many of the JW's tend to be. Far too often, a JW wont tell you to your face what's eating them, but they'll sure tell others. When I started waking up (the second time around) this made me very paranoid. Here is an example of what happened to me. I'll admit that it's probably kinda lame, but I'm posting it here 'cuz, um, you know...

It was a couple of summers ago when I was hanging with a certain young lady I liked as well as her friends. I was at her new place, helping her and her grandma finish up the move-in. After the work was done, we talked, we bantered, we had refreshments, etc. Before long we decided we would go see a movie, but they were invited to dinner somewhere else that evening. We made the arrangement that I would head off on my own dinner thing, that we would re-convene at her house later and she'd call up her girlfriends too. Then when we were all gathered we'd all go. It seemed kinda like a first date. I made one little boo boo though. I thought I heard her say that she would call me after such-and-such a time and then I could head over there myself. I went home to eat and then I headed downtown where I stumbled upon a performing arts festival that happened to be there. It was kinda loud there with all the music and dancing and drums etc. I was checking it out and almost lost track of time waiting for her to call. Eventually she did call and was wondering why I wasn't there yet and what was all the noise. - Huh? I thought I was supposed to wait for the call. Nevermind. - I raced right over, and there she and the girls were waiting. I apologized profusely and afterward I drove us all to the theater and we did the movie thing. During and after she seemed sort of upset, cold and distant. Was it only because I made her wait? I didn't want to force the issue. I dropped her and the girls off afterward.

As time went on, I wanted to make things happen, right? A day after one visit I made to her place, she sends me an email about her only wanting to be friends and stuff about how it wouldn't work out between us. No real explanation. - OMG! That hurt! - I wanted answers but none were forthcoming. Things fell apart for me after that. Later on her grandma told my mom some of the girl's reasons for not wanting to date me. She said I was controlling, bad tempered and so-on and so-forth. WTF? We weren't really dating at all! I didn't get that chance! OMFG. She's nuts. That really threw me for a loop. (Me and my folks had a huge fight over it too.) This is a little bend in the river though.

Now, here's the kicker: A couple weeks later an older sister asks my mom if I had been at a bar. WTF? The sister explains that the girl's grandma told her about the movie night thing, about how the girl sat there waiting and upset because I didn't come at the arranged time, about how she called me up and heard all the noise in the background and thought I was partying it up at a bar and lying about it! I was at an outdoor festival, not a bar! I told them so! When my mom told me about that I just about hit the roof. It all came together then. She and grandma thought I was a potentially controlling, unreliable, abusive, lying, alcoholic party animal and therefore not good husband material.

Post mortem thoughts:

1. Even IF I was at a bar, whose business was it anyway? I've been to friendly neighborhood pubs with fellow JW's before. 2. Not all drinking establishments are "bad". The GB and the elders they control are full of shit. 3. Folks don't usually got to watering holes to do "bad" things with bad people. I repeat: the GB and the elders they control are full of shit. 4. The report of me being at a bar was an outright lie! Assumptions people make are a bitch sometimes.

This is totally stupid, right? It makes me wonder what other shit people were talking behind my back. They most likely still are.

So, what's your story? The juicier the better!

V665

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Can't think of a story personally (JW's aren't, in my opinion, more gossipy than most people), but a comment on yours...... consider yourself fortunate to have escaped potentially marrying into a family that considers going to a bar to be a bad thing.

• yknot
    yknot

I have been evil and DP since I was 7............ an Elder told the last visiting speaker (as he does all ) the aforementioned....

Oh well, as of next year that rumor will have been running rampant for 30 years!

I can laugh now, but it did a lot of damage when I was younger........

THE KICKER: nobody has ever told me why or how.......it is just an apparent fact.

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

To Q. HaHaHa Witnesses aren't in your opinion any more gossipy than most people???????????? After 54yrs born in and moving around different congregations over the years in my [experience] [ NOT OPINION] the gossip was ripe. I have seen upteen peoples lives ruined including my own over spiteful gossip and lies.

The Borg. is a breeding a ground for it. Because of the stifling structure of the organsation people judge each other far more harshly than people in the ''world''. There is more rivalry and competition.

RosePetal

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

And to add a comment to vampire so many of us have been hurt and dammaged through rumour gossip and lies. It is no jokeing matter or juicy bit of fun to talk about. Even now I find it difficult to talk about some of the things that have happened to me and my family through gossip and spite.

RosePetal

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

RosePetal,

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Of course a person can only talk about what they feel comfortable with. As I've said before, I personally don't have any tears left to cry.

I agree, though, that the borganization is a nest for all sorts of nasty rumor and innuendo because it's so vertically integrated. It's way too much like Orwell's "1984" where people are virtually encouraged to rat each other out. It's utterly systemic. That's why I couldn't trust the elders with my deepest "secrets". You just don't know what they'll pull on you. Trusting the average R&F publisher is kind of a crap shoot too.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Vampire, it sounds like you dodged bullet, buddy. Can you imagine being married to such a tempermental, whiney woman who jumps to conclusions and then spreads lies?

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

Thank you Vampire for your reply we can all look back and laugh at the silly things that have happened to us and misunderstandings. Even have a laugh at the silly procedures that have been implemented by the GB re dress codes do's and dont's etc. inconsistant traditions of each local congregations.

But for many it can be a very sensitive matter when the subject of gossip and slander is brought up, which has ruined hard earned reputations building up a respectable name with friends and neighbours, to have it falsely slandered and character assassinated when people have invested so much in what they thought was the truth. The irony of it being that so called fellow christian friends are so easily willing to believe any form of gossip or slander dispite any long standing relationship they may have with them.

The even greater irony of it all is the watchtower and awake magazines have consistantly and proudly highlighted in the articles to discourage idle gossipe and vindictive slander but the greatest irony of it all is that the biggest perpetrators of this is elders their wives their children and the GB and their cronies. Had me rant.

RosePetal

• BorgHater
    BorgHater

Apparantly the only reason I got married so soon after getting engaged was because I was pregnant....that was certainly news to me!

The ironic this is, I was actually pushed too quickly to get married because the congregation just would not leave us in peace and kept hounding us to set a date for the wedding because they did not approve of 'long engagements'. So I couldn't win either way Wankers!

BorgHater xx

• minimus
    minimus

I learned not to care what they might think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit