PBS Documentary on Buddha - Anyone watch?

by skeeter1 27 Replies latest social entertainment

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

http://www.pbs.org/thebuddha/

Anyone watch this documentary on Buddha? I am only half way through it, and it's interesting. I see many similarities with Christianity and the Western viewpoint of religion. Yet, Nirvana is a concept that completely blows my mind because it is so freeing of one's soul, if you will.

Anyway, if you get a chance to see this... I recommend it. It's everything the WTS wouldn't want you to see. That a major religion has alot of valid viewpoints and seemingly meaninful insights on our life, existence, and struggle to find peace from death and destruction.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Anyone watch? I will. I will.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Although I go to that website and tried to watch that video, it was displayed as follows.

"we're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to right restrictions."

So, by YouTube, I watched a part of this video.

In Japan, that is called "Hinayana Buddhism."
    Japanese Buddhism is mainly "Mahayana Buddhism."

Well, in my blog, I introduced the words of the Buddha.
    http://godpresencewithin.blog86.fc2.com/blog-entry-68.html

possible

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

What I really took away with this is that Buddha ...

does not really focus on the unknown, the future (other than a little bit of reincarnation which I think stems from the time of Buddha).

admits that what we know in total and as individuals in comparison to the universe is just a tiny speck.

the unknown is generally feared by man. Man creates the unknown (i.e. gods) to help conquer their fear. These gods then become responsible for the good and the bad in the world by the unlightened man. In other words, man puts all his problems on the gods. Remember, this was written a few thousand years ago, in India. Buddha likely had little knowledge of Judaism, and Christianity was not invented yet.

But, the Buddha does not really focus on the unknown or the future. He concerns himself with the known, and gets to the root of the wickedness. Greed, etc. He tries to change the root of the tree (the bad desire) that leads to the wickedness. Buddha is for good desire, but not bad desire . . . desire that causes human and world suffering.

does not think he is a diety, God, or even claim to be God inspired. Buddha is just a man who did alot of thinking and came to an understanding of the present. He encouraged his followers at the time to think for themselves on what he said. Both he and the Dahai Lama (interviewed on this documentary) clearly state that Buddhists are not obligated to follow any teaching of Buddha that they don't agree with. It is all about individual enlightenment.

does not rely on the unknown to save humankind from our present suffering.

teaches that only each of us, together, can solve the miseries of this world. To change the world, we must each change ourselves.

You can be any walk of life and follow Buddha. You don't have to be a monk.

The monks are only to beg for their daily lunch from the townspeople. They are not to be given the next day's meal. That way, if the monk no longer serves the people, they can immediately cut him off. .... (Wouldn't this be good for our own priests, elders, politicians, etc!)

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Oh, I ordered this on Netflix, through my online Xbox. I don't know if snail mail Netflix has it or not.

• possible-san
    possible-san

Japanese Buddhism is mainly "Mahayana Buddhism."

The following videos are the "Ushiku Daibutsu", colossal statues of Buddha" (120m, 394 feet) in Ibaragi, Japan.
    I went to see this Daibutsu twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmeGf6Ckm_4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C-f4rgWH6M

possible

• Open mind
    Open mind

Buddhism is very dangerous.....

...to the Watchtower.

Thanks for the link!

om

• JWoods
    JWoods

My lady is Buddhist (Vietnamese). I view Buddhism as certainly the most tolerant of the world's major religions - here both Christianity and of course Islam could learn some manners about how to treat people of different religions. In fact, I view it almost as a non-religion, maybe more of a sort of life philosophy.

BTW - one of the monks at the local Vietnamese temple died this week and she is attending the funeral this morning.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

It was similar to Christianity - sort of - just some of the stories...

Buddha was a prince from royalty. Jesus was a prince, from the line of David.

Buddha had a miraculous birth, an elephant went inside his mother. Jesus had a miraculous birth from a virgin (Jehovah went inside Mary).

Buddha performed miracles. Jesus performed miracles.

One of the miracles, was that Buddha made many logs from a few. Jesus did a miracle where he made many loaves of bread from one.

Buddha walked in the sky. Jesus walked on water.

...there were others...but those struck me as perhaps there was something universal in how we as humans chose to signify a man who could be a spirirtual leader.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thanks for the heads up Skeeter. I'm gonna look it up and see if it's coming on pbs here, if not my hubby and I will mostlikely watch it online.

http://www.pbs.org/thebuddha/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit