Hearing the Voice of God or His Messenger

by OnTheWayOut 40 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`m agnostic..I have no idea if God exists or not..I don`t hear voices..

If God and Jesus do exist..

That would mean there is another world,or existance other than our own..

If you believe that other existance may be a possibility..

Why would hearing voices from another reality be strange or unacceptable..?

Why close the door on a possibility?..

Do Shelby and others actually hear Jesus as they say they do?..

I have no Idea..

I do know they believe it.....And.....No one has proved that they don`t..

.........................OUTLAW

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Bumping an excellent thread. Thanks all whom I did not address specificially for your responses.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This thread was so helpful back then, it should be bumped for any newbies confused when they read of others hearing voices.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Even being extremely low on some vitamins would cause mental hallutionations or hearing things.

I've met a few people through work that are extremely religious/born again. They often relate things as talking to God and him

answering...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

And Hope4Others, I am sure most (if not all) of them say that what they receive from God is loving and kind and peaceful and all that jazz and many have no doubt that it is genuine.

I am sure that if we were to try to combine what each of them believes, it would be at least just as conflicting as the 4 Gospels are with each other.

Thanks for your thoughts.

• cofty
    cofty

I think in some rare cases people really do believe they are hearing voices and there may be a physical or psychological reason for that.

From my experiences as an ex-evangelical though I would suggest that 99.9% of the time is nothing more than egocentric posturing. Its a spiritual "dick waving contest".

Instead of simply offering an idea as something that you thought up its far more impressive to claim that god has gifted you with a message or a vision.

The more you tend towards outrageous fantasies the more important it is to claim divine providence.

What I find more worrying than the ridiculous claims is the uncritical praise they often attract - former cult members should know better.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Former cult members should know better, yes and amen to that.

I doubt too many are any more sincere or honest than Joseph Smith was.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cofty said:

'Instead of simply offering an idea as something that you thought up its far more impressive to claim that god has gifted you with a message or a vision.'

Like an alternate personality, similar to when a person creates an alternate in dealing w trauma. Interesting. When i was reading about stuff like this, i came accross cases where alternates were smokers and the originals weren't, where alternates had allergies that the originals didn't. It's interesting stuff. AND, people w alternates/splits were often quite intelligent.

S

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Instead of simply offering an idea as something that you thought up its far more impressive to claim that god has gifted you with a message or a vision. . . . cofty

The precise mechanism that entrapped us all . . .

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...I drink decaf everything (coffee, soda, tea)... and don't see aspirin or insulin on the list... (which is all I take, although I did recently quit Tylenol and Ibu altogether, due to the kidney/liver risks, but I'd been taking them for only about a year or so, so...)...
    Does it say anything about Merlot or Zinfandel? How 'bout the occasional Corona (Light)? You really should check for those... 'cause then you might actually have sumthin'..." AGuest, page #1

Delirium tremens....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001771/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit