My First Post.Thanks To ALL

by southern.finesse 46 Replies latest jw friends

• peacedog
    peacedog

@debator:

As witnesses we believe Jesus is literally God's firstborn son

No, you don't. As witnesses, you believe that Jesus is literally an angel created by God... not "literally God's firstborn Son". If you believed Jesus was "literally God's firstborn son", you'd be forced to accept that, as his literal son, he shares the same nature as his literal Father... just as you share the same nature as your literal father.

• Chalam
    Chalam

As witnesses we believe Jesus is literally God's firstborn son

Sounds like the Mormon heresy. Who's the mother then?

• debator
    debator

Hi Southern

I'm surprised you use 1x1x1 =1 since this is not a trinity equation. "In reading this equation, we would say "one times one times one equals one". If I said two times four, we would understand that to mean that we have two groups of four, which is equal to eight, objects. Therefore one times one means one group of one which is just one and in no way may be considered to be two. In the same way, one group of one group of one is just one, and in no way may be said to be three."

Hi peacedog

God's "nature" as you are using it, is a just an unbiblical greek philosophy argument from later centuries.

• Chalam
    Chalam

OK, a quick maths lesson.

John 10:30 (New International Version)

30 I and the Father are one."

John 1:1 (New International Version)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Isaiah 43:10 (New International Version)

10 "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD,
    "and my servant whom I have chosen,
    so that you may know and believe me
    and understand that I am he.
    Before me no god was formed,
    nor will there be one after me.

Blessings,

Stephen

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Reniaa said:

Hi peacedog

God's "nature" as you are using it, is a just an unbiblical greek philosophy argument from later centuries.

My reply: No, Reniaa...peacedog is explaining the term firstborn according to its meaning in the Jewish culture at the time.

• peacedog
    peacedog

debator:

Hello,

Silliness....

You have a nature. Your nature is (presumably) HUMAN, as is your father's nature. Since he is *literally* your father, of course you share his nature.

God has a nature. We would call that DEITY (but of course, that is just a word...). If God "literally" (your word) had a son, his son would share his nature.

God (and humanity) had a nature long before any Greek philosopher expounded upon the concept...

• dandingus
    dandingus

Before this thread gets completely hijacked by debates on the finer points of religious dogma, let me add my personal "welcome" to southern.finesse!

A court room style discussion with your wife is actually a really neat idea, and I'm sure it will prove to be quite revealing.

When I was younger and just starting to make my own decisions about things my family did something similar where my mother would require me to debate the pros and cons of the idea with her. I was then allowed to make my own decision in most cases, but only after discussing both sides of the issue. It led to some interesting conversations! I personlly think this is a good idea not only for kids, but adults too who are trying to get the best possible information. Everyone needs a sounding board from time to time, and people who don't think the way we do or are coming from a different perspective only cause us to re-evaluate our thoughts from new angles. Done well, this can be highly constructive.

Hopefully your dinnertime discussions won't devolve into adversarial positions (not that ours did), but remain open. It sounds like this is what you're going for, so I wish you the very best!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit