What would happen to a JW if they were prescribed medical marijuana?

by manicmama 21 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

If medical marijuana were legal throughout the US (or the country you live in), I don't see a problem...smoking is not the issue since coca leaves and betel nut were prohibited the same time tobacco was in 1973 and those are chewed, as well as consider chewing tobacco. As long as the drug is legal and used medically, I don't see a need to df someone. Morphine can be used medically and a jw would not be df'd but if used recreationally.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Um they woudldn't SMOKE it? There are other ways to ingest marijuana you know. (brownies etc)

Clearly you need to hang around with a more avanced class of potheads!

• moshe
    moshe

What would happen? They wouldn't care in the least, if the elders Df'd them!

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

Just tell the hounders that you smoked it to prolong your life as much as you can so you can do more field service and they will leave you alone, if not bring you some more pot.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

What difference does it make whether you get high via inhalation, or swallowing a pill? When a cancer patient takes Oxycontin, Opana, Methadone, Morphine, or Fentanyl, he's either taking an oral pill, or a patch. The end result is the same. He's getting high to relieve the pain. Those narcotics aren't used to treat the actual problem, but rather to get you high enough that the pain is no longer an issue. So does it really matter whether you're smoking to relieve the pain, or popping a pill?

• frigginconfused
    frigginconfused

Im a super pothead and i can tell you from experiance that the idea of allowing demons in through MJ is friggin stupid. weed in my opinion beats out alchohol anyday. my only issue is inhaling any smoke is really bad for you. so cosmic brownies for everyone!!!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

This would fit into the "don't tell others in the congregation" category, since it may stumble someone.

If it was prescribed by a doctor and legal, then I don't see how anyone could argue against it. If the "defiling flesh" point was raised, then chemo-therapy would be a no-no since it is destroying bad as well as good body cells. Most powerful medicines have some side effects, some have negative effects on other parts of the body.

And as Blondie mentioned, morphine and other pain killers are regularly used that act directly on the brain. So the "spiritism" point could not be used claiming marajuana opens you up to demonic influence since it works on the brain. Most pain killers do!

Using marajuana or any other presecription drug for recreational purposes is against the law. But if under a doctor's supervision, I don't see how you could realistically be disciplined by the BOE.

Rub a Dub

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The WT wouldn't dare to DF someone who was prescribed legal medical marijuana. They are up to their eyeballs in loser-lawsuits and selling off Brooklyn. Why would they take on another loser cause? Most medical marijuana patients are in deep problems and the added stress of a "DF or helpful drugs" decision would cause many to seek a lawyer.

They would send out a letter to the elders advising that such patients should refrain from telling others in the congregation about their marijuana usage.

• undercover
    undercover
    As long as the drug is legal and used medically, I don't see a need to df someone.

Change that to read, "As long as blood is legal and used medically, I don't see a need to DF someone." and you'll see that it doesn't matter how "worldly" institutions regard it.

What matters is how the WTS, or worse yet, the local elders, regard it. Smoking medical pot vs illegal pot is still smoking...and it's still pot. DF on count number one. DF on count number two.

• sir82
    sir82

The WTS has no problem with pain pills that are far stronger than marijuana, so long as they are prescribed.

I suspect, however, that as one poster noted above, they might have a problem with the act of smoking.

Ingesting the marijuana in some way othr than smoking? Now that's a gray area. I'm sure if a publisher approached the elders, they'd immediately phone the service desk.

If enough phone calls were received, it would proabably appear in a Questions from Readers.

My gut tells me they'd say "not allowed", due to all the anti-drug info they've published over the years, but who knows? Maybe some relative or close friend of a GB member will need it, and "miraculous revelations of the holy spirit" would indicate it's OK.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit