What Do JWs Think About Dinosaurs?

by Cold Steel 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

I've seen Evangelical sites that show dinosaurs dying in the Great Flood. These people believe that God created the Earth in seven 24-hour days, and have wondered that if God could just "speak" the Earth into existence, why He would need the other six days. (Couldn't He just will it into existence in a flash?)

What do the Jehovah's Witnesses believe in regard to the creation and dinosaurs?

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Archaeopteryx of a feather flock together. Most JWs would recognize dinosaurs as kin.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

The Jehovah's Witnesses believe whatever they're told to believe by the Watchtower. If the Watchtower says the dinasaurs died out during the Flood, then that's what they believe. But they have no problem watching Jurassic Park.

Generally, the Watchtower has had very little to say on the topic, especially in the last 30 years or so.

No Apologies

• debator
    debator

Incidently how does darwinism explain the appearance and disapearance of these super-sized reptiles?

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I've heard (in an elder's opinion) that the main purpose dinosaurs were created was to act as giant lawnmowers by consuming plant life to control the outstanding growth of vegetation that was engulfing the earth. Of course, I then asked him about the carnivorous dinosaurs, and he answered that they were created to control the outstanding growth population of the giant lawnmower plant eating dinosaurs.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• JWoods
    JWoods

A circuit overseer famously spoke to my congregation on the purpose of dinosaurs. He said they were put here to create petroleum - he thought crude oil was made of squished dinosaurs.

I challenged him after that meeting with the news that petroleum is formed primarily of plant matter (perhaps sea plankton) via largely unknown processes and that any animal hydrocarbons present are few and far between.

He would not back down - in a triumph of "WT style proof", he proudly pointed out that Sinclair Oil Corp. has a brontosauros on their company logo.

This was, BTW, back in the days when witnesses also irrationally thought that the creative days were exactly 7,000 years each.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

As I mentioned in a recent thread, there was a brochure published in the 1980s that had a very similar illustration of the Flood that appeared in the Bible Stories book, except that it depicted dinos drowning in the waters.

I was surprised because I thought that the dinos lived and became extinct all within the sixth creative day prior to the creation of humans.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Leolia, isn't it true that somewhere (in actual writing, not an illustration) they did say that the dinos were "removed or died out" prior to man's creation - if not exactly on the sixth day? Maybe the artwork kind of got by the censors.

I always thought the official line was that they were sort of "preparatory creatures" for the Adam and Eve era - preparatory in what way, of course, was not ever spelled out.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

"JWs" and "think" in the same sentence. Funny stuff!

• JWoods
    JWoods
    except that it depicted dinos drowning in the waters

Ha - just thought: did it show the sea-going dinosaurs as also dying in the waters?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit