Interesting conversation with a pioneer today

by ldrnomo 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I went into my favorite cafe this afternoon for lunch and saw a husband and wife that go to the congregation I used to go to. The woman is a pioneer and has been for years and her husband is an elder who I've talked to a couple of times since I stopped going to meetings 3 years ago but I have not talked to her in 3 years.

When I got my lunch, I looked up and noticed them sitting by the window so I went over to them and said hello. He said Hi but when I said hello to the woman she just kinda looked at me.

As they started to leave she faced me and said she had to tell me that she was really angry at me and she was sorry but she just was. I asked her why she was angry and she told me because I've changed and I'm a different person now. Then she told me that I am rude, and self centered. I think she said a few other negative things but I can't remember what they were now.

It surprised me because I haven't talked to her since I stopped all activity with the bORG. I asked her how I have been rude and she couldn't really pinpoint anything specific I mean how could she, I haven't seen or talked to her. I told her I was sorry if my actions have upset her and then told her if I seem rude to please tell me so I can make adjustments.

I now realize that there must be a lot of gossip going on in the congregation where we went, after all we were one of the pillars in the church or at least that's what we've been told.

She being a pioneer must pick up on this gossip and then because she is a very uptight pioneer she takes it all serious and figures it must be true.

Then I thought about the accusation of me being self centered I told her that quite possibly that perception has been partially my fault because whenever I do see some of the witnesses around town I'm always quick to demonstrate the joy I have in life.

So I figure maybe talking about my granddaughter or about a vacation I went on or any other fun thing I am doing brands me as a pleasure seeking, self centered ass hole.

Her husband by the way did not say much. I asked him if he thought I was rude and he hedged on answering because he may have not wanted to disagree with what his wife said, I understand that but I was hoping because I had recently talked to him he might be upfront with me. He managed to get out of answering me so I continued the discussion with his wife.

She insinuated that I used to help people and that now I no longer do so. I told her I didn't feel it necessary to list my good works to people when I meet up with them at a store or in a coffee shop but if she wanted me to I would tell her the good works I have been doing. She shook her head so I dropped the subject.

One thing I did do at that point because I could see how nervous she was, I commended the passion she has for her beliefs and told her that she has been the only person in the congregation who has actually faced me and told me of her displeasure in my leaving the church. I told her I admired her courage and was glad she spoke up to me. I then asked her if I had been rude through this whole conversation she said no. At that point I wanted to eat my lunch so I gave her a hug and shook the gentlemen's hand and said goodbye

That's the last time I hope I ever see either of them.

I hate what this religion does to people. It makes them judgmental and afraid and personally limited.

LD

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

They just don't know how to feel. The want to shun you but they know it's wrong so they try to make confrontations to show how irrational you are. Such typical witness behavior. I am so glad you were calm and gave her a hug. It exactly the opposite of what she thought would happen, I bet. Now she has a great story to tell in the cargroup tomorrow. Good job Ld

tt

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

and.. she is so upset by your leaving but she hasn't tried to contact you in three years! The love is so not in that religion.

tt

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Wow you handled that nicely. Better than I would have. I'd have told that broad to get her facts straight.

• flipper
    flipper

LDRNOMO- Wow my friend. You handled that beautifully ! I don't know if I could have stayed as calm as you did. Awesome. It is really true that the FEAR that the WT society instills in these people towards those of us that leave is incredible ! They are so frightened of us it causes an angry reaction within them ! Almost a ENVIOUS anger because we have so much freedom to come and go as we want - then THEY misinterpret it as alleged " selfishness " on OUR part !

Your thread is the 3rd thread I've seen in the last several days where a JW lashes out in anger towards the " ex-witness " verbally ! My daughter towards my son ( and me ) , Flying High Now's thread of her sister towards her nephew and her , and now this pioneer towards yourself ! What ARE they putting in JW's water these days ? A high dose of FEAR and GUILT I'd say !

I could tell the lady's husband was a browbeaten wuss of a man. Didn't have the courage to speak up and stop his wife from assaulting you verbally. What a panty waist. She must be the neck that turns his head. But by turning it around and handling it in a positive manner by complimenting her as you did- it may cause her to have some cognizant dissenance and within herself wonder how you could be " worldly " yet be so nice showing the fruitages of the " spirit " ! Brilliant job. I'm sorry you had to go through that LDR. Hang in there. These JW people are like frightened rabbits these days. They are told to have hope for living forever - when in reality they HAVE no more hope than anybody else ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I kind of hated the expression "living well is the best revenge" but more and more I find it to be so true. Congrats on your happy life free from the org...

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

I guess telling people that they are rude and self-centered is the epitome of politeness.

• cult classic
    cult classic

"I hate what this religion does to people. It makes them judgmental and afraid and personally limited."

Agreed Idrnomo. They are reactionary gossips and slanderers.

You were more kind than I would have been for sure.

• flipper
    flipper

LDR- Also, I wanted to point out something you stated in how true it is for those of us exiting the cult. You said, " I now realize there must be a lot of gossip going on in the congregation where we went ". Very well said. When we leave the witnesses or ANY cult as Steve Hassan says, " There is no acceptable way " to exit in the minds of other witnesses. To them - it means we either DID something wrong to make us stop going - or - we had a BAD attitude which caused us to stop attending ! It could NEVER be considered a " positive " to stop attending in JW's minds.

So, that being said the gossip or rumor mill will run it's course towards many of us who stopped attending . It's part of the fallout and game unfortunately. I stopped attending going on 7 years ago now- and I can only IMAGINE the gossip that has gone on about me 70 miles south of where I now live where I used to attend. But the main thing LDR is you and your wife are happy and have a good life and your freedom of mind . And that is a special thing which no one can steal from you- no matter HOW much people talk

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Then I thought about the accusation of me being self centered I told her that quite possibly that perception has been partially my fault because whenever I do see some of the witnesses around town I'm always quick to demonstrate the joy I have in life.

I think you will agree that she meant you are rude because you dare to come up to JW's that don't want to talk to you and bubble forth with a good attitude. She expected you to silently take her accusation or at least be left mostly speechless with no more than "Well, I never..." That's the kind of reaction her husband would give, so she thought it would work on you. Then when she gossiped about you later, she could say how she left you speechless.

But no, you ruined that by trying to actually converse instead of just accepting her browbeating false accusation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit