Did your Kingdom Hall have kitchen?

by asilentone 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• asilentone
    asilentone

Someone told me there are few Kingdom Halls with Kitchens, I was surprised about it.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Some Halls have apartment attached for Special Pioneers or Circuit Overseers. The kitchen may be in the apartment.

The Assembly Hall in Woodland Hills, CA had a big kitchen for when regular meals were served.

-Aude.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have seen kitchen appliances in various Kingdumb Hells. One I used to attend had a microwave oven so we could heat our soups on the fly, and get that much more time in field circus. Another one has, in the book-study room (where we meet for field circus, by the way), a refrigerator, microwave, and sink. I guess that is to expedite field circus in the afternoon.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Yep...a kitchen/lunchroom as well as a seperate apartment currently occupied by a special pioneer and his wife.

• StAnn
    StAnn

In a cong. I used to attend, the cong. added an apartment for the CO to use during his visit. The rest of the time, it was used by the cong. So there was a pretty good sized kitchen there.

Recently, I saw a KH that was a quickbuild that had an apartment attached. Don't know if it was for the CO or for a pioneer couple.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Maybe it's regional? None of the halls I've ever been to had kitchens. Assembly halls yes (Madera and Fremont Ca), kingdom halls no (Belmont, Redwood City, Menlo Park, and Madrea, Ca).

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

All the K Halls I've visited in the UK have kitchens. I worked in Purchasing on the Quickbuild team and a kitchen was always incorporated into the build. In recent years however because of our now stringent Health & Safety laws here most of the kitchens dont meet the criteria for 'catering' as such, so they're only used for tea making, warming up food etc.

Loz x

• freydo
    freydo

The last one I attended did. But the only thing ever used was the fridge, sink and microwave.

Another one even had a big fireplace and a kitchen.

• JWoods
    JWoods

The WT society used to own a large multi-kingdom hall in Pittsburgh, PA - it was used by several local congregations and I believe for small assemblies. So, it was sort of an early day multi-congregation KH and assembly hall.

I attended the servant/overseers school there in the winter of 1970. The head instructor was Al Schroeder, later of the governing body.

This hall had a commercial-style kitchen and dining room in the basement and a couple of bethel boys were there to cook. The school students were asked to "volunteer" to cook on the weekend.

Somebody posted here that the society eventually decided that this building no longer suited their purposes and sold it a number of years ago.

• blondie
    blondie

Several older KHs had kitchens (up to fire code) in the basement used for pioneer school in the area.

The newer ones don't because the local governments were concerned about food preparation and events that would create heavier traffic in the area; so the congregations would opt out to get permissions to build.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit