3 Things You Should Know About Islam

by onemore 121 Replies latest jw friends

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks
    Are you serious? What kind of Christianity encourages suicide bombing and terrorism as a religious rite? What kind of Christianity would not denounce any nutjob member who did such things?

Yeah I'm serious. Christianity spread itself throughout the world using terror. In order to prove your 'love' for god, you had to be willing to kill for him if the church told you to. There was no individual belief tolerated outside the church. If you weren't christian you were of the devil and they had no problems in killing anyone who opposed them. Don't even dare gloss over the history of christianity and it's blood guilt.

Again, are you serious??? Just let this mayhem go on for a couple thousand years and see what happens?

Once again, you seem to have no knowledge of history. Christianity was barbaric in its treatment of people. As societies evolved and it's power weakened, their inhumane treatment of non-christians was now not tolerated by societies and governments at large.

I'm not at all saying I agree with it, but it's quite hypocritical for christianity to be up in arms at what Islam does, when that's the exact same way they spread themselves in the world. Just because a thousand or so years goes by, doesn't erase how they spread their word of god through terror.

Talk about hypocritical.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Look, Zeus - I do not condone everything that christianity did in the past.

But the catholics are no longer doing religious crusades. This is the here and now - that is the difference.

To allow Islam to make religious or holy war because the catholic church used to do so in the middle ages is quite insane.

• ZeusRocks
    ZeusRocks

JWoods...that's my point. I'm not saying we should allow any religion to make a holy war on anyone. All I was pointing out is that, like in the case of Christianity, it was brutal in it's infancy and adolescence but has now been put in it's place for the most part by society and governments. But it has taken a very long time for that to happen.

I definitely do not condone any violence perpetrated by religious beliefs, or any beliefs for that matter unless under legitimate self defence. The way Islamic extremists are viewed today by non-muslims is most likely how christianity was viewed by non christians, when it held the power of life and death over people.

Early societies were very superstitious and the church could use that to its advantage. It can't do that anymore as it doesn't have the power it once did. Islamic Extremists are now doing what the early church did for over 1500 years, but now we are at a point in our society that this kind of religious terror is no longer tolerated.

I wasn't condoning their actions at all, simply the irony of it all. I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I was meaning.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Are you serious? What kind of Christianity encourages suicide bombing and terrorism as a religious rite? What kind of Christianity would not denounce any nutjob member who did such things?

Ever hear of Timothy McVeigh, Christian Identity Movement, Hutaree Militia, William Pierce, The Worldwide Church of God, James Wickstrom, and even to a lesser extent.............Sarah Palin?

• wobble
    wobble

"But the violence and intolerance is a central thread in the Islamic religion - and their religion has done nothing to effectively stop these practices or convincingly condemn them. They are playing games with the non-Islamic world by proclaiming themselves peaceful while plotting attacks. "

This is such a loaded and generalising statement it sounds like J Woods is a WT writer.

Violence and intolerance, as has been stated above, have been a central thread of Christendom as well, but we do not lump all its 1 billion adherents together. We all rightly condemn the bombers in Northern Ireland who come from some branch of Christendom, but do not brand all Christians as murderous fundamentalists.

Right now some of them, in N.I, are plotting attacks,that has little to do with the rest of the Christian community.

The same is true of Islam, yes it has its fundamentalists, it has its zealots who carry their religious fervour too far, and they need dealing with. but the religion is one of peace if followed correctly.

I am not saying it is a religion that people should convert to, I think the demise of all religion would be a good thing, but the blanket condemnation of 1.2 Billion people is just plain wrong.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Well, I am amazed to see that several of us have great tolerance for Islam (the most violent major religion on earth) while we are completely intolerant of the Jehovah's Witnesses at the same time.

It does not make sense to me.

BTW - I am not christian, so I am not apologizing for modern christianity. There have been a few nuts there as well, but it is not a worldwide movement (to do terrorist acts) in modern christianity.

• freydo
    freydo

It's more of a political ideology that's promotes itself as religion that everybody should have respect for.

The political part is dangerous. The religious side is full of contradictions and error.

The cathaholics are the same

Ditto for "christian fundamentalism"

Ditto for jw's

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

When elevated to political power, Christianity even today reverts back to its inquisitorial roots. Islam/Christianity/Judaism/etc. can all be forces of good or evil.

Christianity in action in the Balkans.

• JWoods
    JWoods
    Christianity in action in the Balkans.

You are saying that a real christian church encouraged and organized that mob? Really? The Catholic Church? BS. They are just a mob.

Iran is an example of a real Islamic theocracy running a real national government. The Taliban is another example.

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear wobble...

you said: "The same is true of Islam, yes it has its fundamentalists, it has its zealots who carry their religious fervour too far, and they need dealing with. but the religion is one of peace if followed correctly."...

The "ideology/religion" of islam is not in its infancy...it has been around for about 1400 years now...and we are now seeing a push to have it institutionalized world-wide. Yes there are many peaceful muslim people, however, these are not the people that would be in the highest positions in the shiria courts...as they are not at this time in muslim territories. It is a fact that many peaceful muslims would be killed in muslim territories because of their tolerant stance. Make no mistake, these people are concidered worse than infidels if they don't "back" the fundimentalist muhllahs et al. All the power is in the hands of a few...a few that use terror and brutality to control the masses...

Are you saying that you have interpretated islam properly and these terrorists who have studied it everyday from the time they are little children have it all wrong?...have you read any of the hadiths?...the people who wrote them were with mohammad and they are witnesses to what he did in the name of his "religion".

imo this is no time to demure (ladies)...isaiah 7:18-25

love michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit